Matching acoustic pickup to input impedance

TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
edited June 2017 in Acoustics
I was reading the K&K blurb ahead of a possible purchase and it mentions that it prefers a 500k input impedance (rather than a Hi-Z which will result in too much low end) - are people's experiences that this is indeed an important consideration in practice? 

One of the ways I was planning to interface was via an Apogee One - for which no input impedance figures seem to exist online or in the manual.

If there is an affect on the frequency response is it likely to be EQ-out-able or more fundamental?

Paging @Lewy and others who use K&K... 
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4169
    TimmyO said:
    I was reading the K&K blurb ahead of a possible purchase and it mentions that it prefers a 500k input impedance (rather than a Hi-Z which will result in too much low end) - are people's experiences that this is indeed an important consideration in practice? 

One of the ways I was planning to interface was via an Apogee One - for which no input impedance figures seem to exist online or in the manual.

If there is an affect on the frequency response is it likely to be EQ-out-able or more fundamental?

Paging @Lewy and others who use K&K... 
    Opinion is divided. Doug Young (a long time acoustic gear reviewer and possibly the preeminent acoustic pickup tester/reviewer) says that it's entirely possible to EQ out any excess bass frequencies arising from a mismatch. Others say that using a matched preamp restores some sparkle that they haven't been able to get with a mismatch and EQ.

I ended up getting a K&K Pure XLR preamp so I didn't have to think about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom