Pointy baritone build

What's Hot
I bought a baritone neck a while back to attach to a Strat that I've since sold, so I decided to build a new body for the baritone neck. Here's the initial design.

Body is one piece swamp ash with a spalted beech top.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1666
    After a few design iterations I made a first template from 5mm plywood...

...which was then transferred onto MDF.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    IMHO, the headstock would look nice with a veneer of that spalted beech. (Yes. I know that it would be a pig to attach it.)
    Be seeing you.
    IMHO, the headstock would look nice with a veneer of that spalted beech. (Yes. I know that it would be a pig to attach it.)
    Exactly my plan! If I cut it carefully the piece between the horns should be the right size. I practised the technique on a recent mod that worked well.

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12880
    Looks great. 

I seem to recall that @Andyjr1515 is your man for veneers. 
    Looks great. 

Thanks, but I'll try to reduce the thickness on a spare piece of the top wood and use that.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Looks great. 

Thanks, but I'll try to reduce the thickness on a spare piece of the top wood and use that.

Hi, @AustrianJohn  

It's looking good :)

I didn't pitch in because I guessed that.  Your spalted beech looks like it's 3-4mm thick?  An offcut would be perfect as a headstock plate.  I like the previous one you did in the photo above - what wood was that?
    edited July 2017
    Andyjr1515 said:

Hi, @AustrianJohn  

It's looking good

I didn't pitch in because I guessed that.  Your spalted beech looks like it's 3-4mm thick?  An offcut would be perfect as a headstock plate.  I like the previous one you did in the photo above - what wood was that?
    Hi @Andyjr1515

The wood in my last project was burl, but I don't know from which type of tree. The spalted beech is 11mm thick. I'll aim to get that down to about 3mm for the headstock. For the body I'll leave it at 11mm.

Cheers, John

I thicknessed the body blank from just over 5cm to 3.5 cm with my router sled.

Having spent what seemed like hours generating sawdust, creating the body was quick - cutting the rough shape with a bandsaw and then using the MDF template and router to tidy up the edges.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Andyjr1515 said:

Hi, @AustrianJohn  

It's looking good :)

Hi @Andyjr1515

The wood in my last project was burl, but I don't know from which type of tree. The spalted beech is 11mm thick. I'll aim to get that down to about 3mm.

Cheers, John

I think both look great.  The spalted beech is lovely :)
    Top has been trimmed so interesting figure runs through the horns, then glued.

Body has been routed. I had planned to do the neck pocket rout after the top had been attached, but I'm worried that the relative softness of the beech top would make it difficult to attach the template. Now I can use a bottom bearing router bit to rout the top.

Edge of rear cavity has been routed for the cover.

I'll try to make the cavity cover from this glued offcut from the top, or I may use this piece for the headstock - we'll see.

Headstock reshaped then thicknessed.

I cut some thin slices from the spalted beech off-cut and managed to make both the cavity cover and headstock veneer.

Top is being glued to the body.

Here's the top, both dry and wet.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'll be using these to carve the top. The spalted beech is strange to work. Some parts are like concrete, while right next to that is a patch as soft as balsa wood. Have to be careful.

The cavity cover is a good fit. But the headstock veneer didn't work as planned, I'll have to use a thicker piece - but that's for another day.

Second attempt at applying a spalted beech plate to the headstock worked.

Lots of work still to do, but it's starting to look like a guitar.

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490

That's lovely. I like how the darker parts of the grain flow from the nut end of the headstock, draws your eyes along it.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

That's lovely. I like how the darker parts of the grain flow from the nut end of the headstock, draws your eyes along it.
    I'm glad you like it. I was pleased it worked like that - for the body and the head stock (and indeed, even the rear cavity cover) I had to cut the wood carefully to get interesting figure in the right place. I think the look of the spalted beech is quite spectacular, but the mix of wood density makes it a b*gger to work with.
    edited July 2017
    Top is routed and carved. Unfortunately, the wood was so soft around the hole for the volume control that it crumbled, necessitating a patch to repair. Although I love the look of spalted wood, I'm not sure I'll use it again as its variable texture makes it difficult to work with.

I washed the back with a black stain then sanded it off. This makes the grain stand out nicely.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    After three application of Tru Oil and one of Briwax the cavity cover is looking good.

A few coats of Tru Oil, without any additional stain, have brought the colour out of the spalted beech top.

I'll use a chicken head control knob (or something equally unusual) to make a feature out of the repaired hole.