Building a chameleon - a pickup design saga!

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
edited July 2017 in Made in the UK tFB Trader
After having discussions with @lysander and playing around with my tappable humbucker idea, I've decided to try the impossible(?) and design the most versatile humbucker set ever -  combining P90, Tele bridge, vintage Strat single, hot humbucker and hot PAF in one!

The idea is to make a tappable humbucker with two very different magnetic designs in each coil. One coil will have steel screws in it, powered by a bar magnet underneath the bobbins. This coil will be the P90 when split in full output mode, a split PAF when split in lower output mode (no one likes those though, so I'm ignoring that), it'll be a hot PAF when combined with the other coil in low output mode, and finally it'll be a hot humbucker when combined with the other coil in full output mode.

The other coil will be loaded with alnico rod magnets. When split in low output mode, vintage Strat, when split in full output mode, Tele bridge and when combined with the other coil, see above.

The first prototypes are ready and awaiting testing!
I'll show the ridiculously long winded and difficult production process on the next prototypes.

Should this prove successful, you'll never need more than one guitar! Don't tell your wife.

Edit: I'm doing a several part blog of this build on my website at https://www.alegree.co.uk/blogs/news I'll keep this thread updated with pictures and brief outlines of where I'm up to - for more in depth info you'll need to go to my website where I'm sure I'll be writing multiple essays on this fun project.
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited June 2017
    Awesome ! Looks like instead of choosing one or the other designs you went all in in the end ! Very much looking forward to these
    Will the nickel covers stay ? Funnily enough I was thinking about these yesterday and was hoping they would be covered, purely for the look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    Awesome ! Looks like instead of choosing one or the other designs you went all in in the end ! Very much looking forward to these
    Will the nickel covers stay ? Funnily enough I was thinking about these yesterday and was hoping they would be covered, purely for the look.
    I don't think for a second these will be able to be made without covers.
    The coils are absolutely bulging, so they need the protection.
    tFB Trader
    Pickups loaded and given a whirl briefly today. The splits are great. Humbucker modes are really bright due to the alnico rods. I'll try them with 250k pots to see if that tames them a bit. I doubt it'll shave enough top end off - so I'll be making new prototypes soon to remedy this I reckon, and making a walk through of one of these builds!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14415
    If you are using switches to select which coils are operational at any given time, could you not integrate passive filtering networks to reduce the excess treble?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    If you are using switches to select which coils are operational at any given time, could you not integrate passive filtering networks to reduce the excess treble?
    That's an option, but I'm trying to avoid that to get the most authentic P90/Strat/Tele tones - every part of the pickup is used in every part of the switching, so unfortunately I can't just slap in some filtering in a part that is only active when they're in humbucking mode.

Plus I like to get the pickup as close to what I'm after before I start contemplating filtering.
    tFB Trader
    Further tests reveal that the alnico rods have a very significant effect on the humbucking tone. The 14k neck tap feels similar to a PAF due to the treble punch and clarity. This coincidentally will end up making these easier to build - yay
  • wackojackowackojacko Frets: 59
    Photos or it didn't happen! ;)
    tFB Trader
    Photos or it didn't happen! ;)

Can't have distrust ruining my business! Not much to look at mind you.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    looks nice mate. Care for a photo of the back? I want to see the guts...
    PS majorly enjoying the yellow/black combo
    tFB Trader
    PS majorly enjoying the yellow/black combo
    looks nice mate. Care for a photo of the back? I want to see the guts...
    The control cavity guts ?
    That's an absolute mess. I devised a very complex wiring for switching the modes (sadly I can't quite get them all on tap with 4 push/pulls)
    I can get a shot of it if that's what you're after.
    yeah if you wouldn't mind....feel free to PM me if you prefer. 
    tFB Trader
    I've had a bit more time with them, and I'm really loving some of the tones coming out - the single coil modes are pretty indistinguishable from their proper counterparts. 

I'm not so sure that the alnico rods increase treble as significantly as I first thought. They seem to bring a big, bright, percussive feel that keeps everything feeling more open and clear - I've been loving how my drop C metal material sounds through them so far.
    tFB Trader
    Update: been super busy recently - but my 6 way 4 pole rotary switch has turned up to start testing all the modes in one guitar. My head is hurting trying to devise a way to wire it all up though.

Expect updates soon!
    tFB Trader
    After about an entire day of playing around with switch schematics, I've decided that having every mode on a rotary switch is, as far as I can tell, impossible. 

I've devised a way to have all 6 modes accessible by a 3 way 4 pole rotary and a push/pull pot per pickup. 
    The pots will switch between full and tapped outputs, and the rotary switch will switch between humbucker/screw side/alnico rod side.

I'll be selling rotary switches, and push/pulls pots as additional add ons.
    edited July 2017
    Will the rotary switch be able to control both pickups at the same time ( is it a dual switch ) or will you need one for each pickup ?
    tFB Trader
    lysander said:
    Will the rotary switch be able to control both pickups at the same time ( is it a dual switch ) or will you need one for each pickup ?
    A 4 pole rotary will do both simultaneously.
    Brilliant. One standard switch, one rotary switch and two push pull knobs is just the right amount of controls and the versatility will be ridiculous.
    tFB Trader
    If you use a HSH setup I can't think of anything but Tele neck pickup that isn't achievable. I've just started work on the P90 modes, and although I've got quite a bit of work to get them where I want them, there's already a massive array of usable tones.

Further prototyping is on hold until I get some special wire in that I've decided I need to proceed. Should be worth the wait though!
    Who likes tele neck pickups anyway  ;) ( actually I do have one which I like but it's a stacked humbucker disguised as a tele pickup )