Vonyx active speakers?

LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
Got an opportunity to buy a pair of these for just over £100. Would be used for solo acoustic gigs in pubs. 
Atm I'm lugging around a pair of 15" cabs and separate amp which is a pita and a bit overkill but it's leftover from my old band. 
Would love something more compact and convenient but really can't justify spending big money. 
Any thoughts?

http://www.electromarket.co.uk/vonyx-vx-12-inch-active-pa-speaker-dj-disco-party-powered-system-400w
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3115
    First thought is barge pole, never heard of the brand and this means spares and repairs are going to be hard to find. The weight quoted for the cabinet is suspect as well baring in mind they aren't made of plastic so wood/mdf plus amp plus speaker plus tweeter adding up to 10kg is a bit suspect. 
    On the plus side a pair for £100 is tempting but I would test the life out of them befor splashing cash, certainly wouldn't buy on spec
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a look but not expecting anything amazing. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Save up a bit more and get some Alto's would be my advice.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited July 2017
    Look cheap and nasty...as above Alto are fine on a budget then Yamaha's next up in the food chain.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    They might be OK but I cannot see how anyone can build a pair of active speakers for a little over two hundred quid.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1198
    edited July 2017
    Went for a pair of passive HH speakers from Thomann in the end. Spent more than I planned to but looked like a good deal. Turned up today but not had a chance to try them properly yet, only to ensure they work. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Rocker said:
    They might be OK but I cannot see how anyone can build a pair of active speakers for a little over two hundred quid.
    Me too. How do you make them, ship them around the world through the various middle men etc.  It would cost me £40 to just ship them across my own country...the actual drivers in each cabinet would have a total msnufacturers cost price of about £5...