Go Fund Me. Anyone want to buy this lad a 1962 Strat?

What's Hot
I've always quite enjoyed his YouTube videos but this is Go fund me, gone mad!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    I like Dave Simpson.  His videos are like Ch*ppers etc if they weren't annoying c*nts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    £7k is a bit of a bargain for a One owner 62 Strat 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    Go fund* yourself.

* Possible spelling error.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Before anyone feels overly tempted, my Aston Martin DB11 Go Fund Me page will be going live tomorrow....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Part of me says, get a job and pay for it yourself, thats what most of had to do, for that money I'd snap his arm off and sell what I could
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I don't like these things either BUT people donate all the time to anyone who gives them something they appreciate - in this case the guy does vids that people enjoy and some of them are happy to find a way to give something back - he seems like a nice genuine guy - I see this all the time with YouTube/Twitch and Patreon etc - it's just the way of the modern world - would be different if he was just some random who asked - but he does give his own time and effort to produce content people appreciate.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Well that was a bit awkward. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    https://www.gofundme.com/1962-fender-stratocaster

He's roughly a tenth of the way there. I can understand why he wants it but I really don't think it'll change his life. I personally would never give a penny towards something like this but some people obviously do. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5153
    He is my YouTube 'Guilty Pleasure' 
    I won't be donating but I do think he's cool. I think he's had a tough time along the way, and he's no YouTube millionaire 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    If I'd known it was this easy, I'd have a stable of 60s fenders. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    Just watched the video - he's another SRV wannabe - I could almost understand it if he were an exceptional talent - but he isn't. 

No amount of vintage Fenders will alter that.

File under 'Cheeky Bastard'....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    Errr....how does fuck off and get a job sound ....oops....but all this kind of stuff winds me up .....dont mind iff it for a good cause ...but to buy a 62 strat ..no....make do with what you have and stop being a greedy twat...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The Seymour Duncan User Group forum was plagued for years by an autistic Australian teenager, brazenly trying to blag stuff for free and expecting the donor to pay for shipping. When the majority of registered members politely ignored the lad, he seemed to assume that the message had failed to get through and would try again.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

Is this the modern, 1st world problem, version of "can you spare 10p for a cuppa" - either way it was painful to watch.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Make a product. Try and sell it.

This 'try and sell it... then make the product' venture capital bollocks is fucking ruining the WORLD!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    20% of the way there now.
    The whole affair is a bit tragic but can't blame the guy for asking.
    What am I saying- of course you can. :)
  • I quite like Dave's videos, but think hes taking the piss asking for a 7k guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

So this is a guy who I've never heard of before asking the general public to fund him a vintage guitar.

What do the investors get in return? If it's nothing and it's just a donation it sits really uncomfortably with me. If you really want a vintage fender then go out and earn enough money so you can do that - or use what you can afford.

Is this guy thinking a 62 Strat is going to be his golden ticket to being a successful artist? Or maybe he's just doing this to bring attention to his work? If it's the former someone really needs to tell him that a decent guitarist will make a sub £500 Mexican Strat just as good on any record.

£7,000 would make a world of difference to any other number of causes. It could replace the belongings of a family who have lost everything in a towerblock fire. It could provide life saving equipment to a hospital - the list is endless.

But if he does really want this then do the right thing. Work very hard, as many hours as you can not just on music but cleaning toilets, stacking shelves, bar work . By putting in good honest graft the prize at the end will be so much sweeter.

(just for the record I have no issue with anyone owning expensive and or vintage instruments - just do it honestly not begging from strangers)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    edited July 2017
    Good for him! He's giving some good stuff out on his YT channel, and some people are giving back to him. All good stuff!

Go, Dave!
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    gubble said:

So this is a guy who I've never heard of before asking the general public to fund him a vintage guitar.

What do the investors get in return? If it's nothing and it's just a donation it sits really uncomfortably with me. If you really want a vintage fender then go out and earn enough money so you can do that - or use what you can afford.

Is this guy thinking a 62 Strat is going to be his golden ticket to being a successful artist? Or maybe he's just doing this to bring attention to his work? If it's the former someone really needs to tell him that a decent guitarist will make a sub £500 Mexican Strat just as good on any record.

£7,000 would make a world of difference to any other number of causes. It could replace the belongings of a family who have lost everything in a towerblock fire. It could provide life saving equipment to a hospital - the list is endless.

But if he does really want this then do the right thing. Work very hard, as many hours as you can not just on music but cleaning toilets, stacking shelves, bar work . By putting in good honest graft the prize at the end will be so much sweeter.

(just for the record I have no issue with anyone owning expensive and or vintage instruments - just do it honestly not begging from strangers)

Sort of what i was trying to say but you put it so much nicer.. :)