Go Fund Me. Anyone want to buy this lad a 1962 Strat?

What's Hot

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited July 2017
    Lewy said:
    Does GoFundMe not require you to hit your target before the funds are released like other crowdfunding sites, then?
    No, funds are available as and when you like, less 8% fees. 
    Ah right. Be interesting to see what he does if he doesn't raise enough to get that guitar then. I imagine quite a few donors wanted to contribute to him getting this specific "life changing" guitar, rather than just dropping some wedge on him to get a different one/something totally different....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited July 2017
    Youtube is a handy business tool for promoting brands. But monetizing your videos is no longer profitable unless you're getting millions of views, and if the only thing you're selling is yourself, you're screwed. Enter Patreon and GoFundMe campaigns from sole traders like me laddo. 

That's just the way it is nowadays. People are paying him to provide entertaining content because youtube no longer will. From a business perspective, this strat might be viewed as an asset that elevates his brand (serious musician), and yes: assets can be divested if the company goes bust. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    It's a bit cheeky and I don't personally see any particualry worthyness in his appeal, but then again no one's forcing anyone to donate and it's not like he's after a load of money to replace very expensive stuff he didn't bother to insure whilst riskily carting it around Europe ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    In the video he's saying that he is having to sell most of his massive collection of guitars/gear to go towards the cost, as if we should all feel sorry for him, and he is still begging for £5000.
    Run that by me again. Our man has recorded a YT video, at home, in which he has announced to the Internet-connected world that he has a massive gear collection. He might as well have said, "burglars, help yourselves."
    Be seeing you.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited July 2017
    In the video he's saying that he is having to sell most of his massive collection of guitars/gear to go towards the cost, as if we should all feel sorry for him, and he is still begging for £5000.
    Run that by me again. Our man has recorded a YT video, at home, in which he has announced to the Internet-connected world that he has a massive gear collection. He might as well have said, "burglars, help yourselves."
    A massive gear collection which, in total, is apparently only worth a couple of grand towards the cost of this '62 Strat.  If he does get robbed, I confidently predict it will all end up in Cash Converters.  Marlin Sidewinder, anyone?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    my feeling is make do with what you have, if your talented you'll be able to afford one in the future anyway, and then feel like you earned it, I think he is grasping at material things, and is a little bit greedy.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Chris777 said:
    my feeling is make do with what you have
    Something like dis?

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Maybe I should start a go fund me page so I can get to work next week (who makes the 14th pay day?!)... 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    edited July 2017
    Chris777 said:
    my feeling is make do with what you have
    Something like dis?

Case in point! Wis awarded.

Several years ago I remember reading an interview with Joe. He said that he doesn't get attached to guitars, that they're just bits of wood, and that they're tools tools to get the job done, that's all. Something to that effect, anyway. To me it's an excellent insight to consider, especially for our lad Dave. To differentiate between actual needs and unnecessary wants can be difficult when GAS explodes in our face (pun unintended); to embarrass yourself online with the latter and getting others to fund it is simply unjustifiable IMHO.

Guitars.

Bits of wood.

Tools.

That's all they are.

A '62 strat is nothing more and was never meant to be.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1705

Must be a crap collection as he's still wanting £5000 cash!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    edited July 2017
    Whoever wants to pay some money towards his goal - fine by me - their choice.

I don't think somehow that purchasing this strat will change his career or life in any way. 

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited July 2017
    I don't think somehow that purchasing this strat will change his career or life in any way. 
    Not for better anyway...
    As I said earlier the thread - it won't make him a decent player - but it will give him quite an expensive guitar to sell when he realises that.....
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    To be fair guys I have more of a problem being forced to donate something out of every wage packet to pay for and furnish someones second home in London because they cant commute 30 miles to work, a job that seen an eleven percent pay rise while the very same people made sure I got fuck all.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3359
    It aint politics though, its lying bastards robbing us, something this lad isn't doing. 
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    robgilmo said:
    It aint politics though, its lying bastards robbing us, something this lad isn't doing. 
    No, but he has to some extent begged for something that he himself can't afford, which has similar negative connotations. To me it's a childish act governed by the unruly ego, something you learn to tame as you get older by the form of reasoning.

If he does happen to get the amount required, funding him the means to get the strat will do him no favours whatsoever and I suspect it'll end up being a bittersweet acquisition that'll turn sour over time. If I was one of his mates I'd be telling him to shut the whole thing down, let it go and move on. Personally I'd rather be known for working hard and making it with a cheap squier than a public funded '62 strat totalling a small fortune. 

Honestly, he might not recognise it now but it's got 'buyers remorse' written all over it, and not just at a monetary level.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited July 2017
    Dave's at about 42% to his target! Go, Dave!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    Philtre said:
    That's heartening - I might do one for a Patek Philippe - as well as the DB11....
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I hope it's a rebadged Squier.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Philtre said:
    Go Dave...! Your 42% further to probably the worst career move you could have made...this sort of thing will wind people up rather than gain fans..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom