Tele bridge saddles

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My Telecaster is having THESE threaded steel type fitted this week before it comes back from @SteveRobinson which I'm very happy about.
    I love the way they sound and look.

Gratuitous photo's will follow soon (ish).

:)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    edited July 2017
    Brass vs steel is a matter of taste.

I've owned two Teles and the first one came with threaded steel saddles.  The horrible  intonation was hurting my ears so I bought some compensated brass ones (Callaham as that was what Charlie Chandler had in stock).  The brass was definitely warmer, and not as biting in the top end.  I preferred that to the steel.  More importantly, the guitar would intonate correctly which made it sound massively better.

While the material is a matter of taste, compensated is a must for me.  One the other Tele I later owned for a couple of years, the saddles were standard brass barrels but drilled at an angle.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    edited July 2017
    I'm really pleased with Graphtech saddles, on both my Strat and my Tele. I just don't break strings, ever.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    +1 for Graphtech.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Alnico said:
    My Telecaster is having THESE threaded steel type fitted this week before it comes back from @SteveRobinson which I'm very happy about.

I have some of those. I have had issues with the strings migrating slots and end up with odd spacing - that was on a different guitar though and it's likely that the increased downforce from the B5 tension bar would eradicate that on this guitar. Might give them another go though the next time I restring. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Gagaryn said:
    Alnico said:

I have some of those. I have had issues with the strings migrating slots and end up with odd spacing - that was on a different guitar though and it's likely that the increased downforce from the B5 tension bar would eradicate that on this guitar. Might give them another go though the next time I restring. 
    This was the other problem I had with them, as well as the sound. The tone can be EQ'd to taste but weird alignment or strings not sitting properly in the threads... well, I went brass and never looked back.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I'm really pleased with Graphtech saddles, on both my Strat and my Tele. I just don't break strings, ever.

R.
    Are you using the compensated Graphtech Telesaddles? How's the intonation and tone compared to compensated brass? These are my next port of call if I break another string at the saddle so would be good to hear your feedback!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3021
    rico said:

R.
    Are you using the compensated Graphtech Telesaddles? How's the intonation and tone compared to compensated brass? These are my next port of call if I break another string at the saddle so would be good to hear your feedback!

I'm using these on my Tele:

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/string-saver/product-detail/string-saver-originals-vintage-three-barrel-tele-saddles

It's difficult for me to compare them as I had a Jap 6-saddle bridge on previously and switched to a 3-saddle VibroMate/Bigsby set up. I have no complaints about the current set up at all, though.

R.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    @robinbowes Thanks - those are the ones i've earmarked. 
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    The string alignment wasn't something I ever had an issue with on the last set I had but I take the point/Issue as a valid one. I'll see how these go and work from there.
    It is, however, a Telecaster and not a guitar I use in a Romantic way so the intonation issue (Which to be fair isn't huge) and the string alignment issue weren't things that ever got in my way for what I play on a Tele.

We shall see.

The look and the tone are, for me, Perfect.
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I was restringing my guitar last night and was reminded just how close to perfect the intonation is on my tele, despite having non compensated saddles. The I remembered that it has an earvana nut - ugly thing that was on the neck when I got it. I was always planning on replacing it with a normal bone nut but forgot about it. I've got used to it's weird look now and it certainly does seem to help resolve any tuning issues.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    I'm surprised people like Graphtech saddles on teles.
    My pacifica 612 hfm had graphtec saddles and I found them very dull sounding with very little highs. I would absolutely hate those on a tele.
    I do like my guitars quite bright though.