Precision pickups

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4942
Is it normal for the split pickups on a P bass to be slanted - the pole under the E is much further from the E string than the A string is from its own pole. And the D and G strings are similar to but opposite the E and A strings. The E and G strings are further away from their poles than the A and D strings. If you get my drift...
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Short answer - yes.
    Be seeing you.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    What model you looking at?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    edited July 2017
    Doesn't matter which model. The idea is to set the polepiece magnet pair heights to approximately the same radius as the bridge saddles. (This even applies to the late Fifties Fender pickup with the longer rod magnets sensing the A string.) The objective is to get equal signal strength for all four strings.
    Be seeing you.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    Doesn't matter which model. The idea is to set the polepiece magnet pair heights to approximately the same radius as the bridge saddles. (This even applies to the late Fifties Fender pickup with the longer rod magnets sensing the A string.) The objective is to get equal signal strength for all four strings.

Basically this, but tune it by ear.  The thicker strings can end up needing to be proportionally further away.

The split P pickup is an awesome design.  It has the nice attack of a single coil, with none of the hum, and you can set it up so the strings have pretty even volume.

I know people like to praise the Telecaster for its functional design but to me the split pickup Precision bass got it even more right all those decades ago.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    I meant which bass was it, as I've recently seen one for sale with very slanty pickups!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    The word "slanted" is imprecise and misleading. 

Setting a split coils P style pickup at any angle other than perpendicular to the string path is possible but of little consequence so long as the string excursion remains within the magnetic field of the polepieces. 

In recent weeks, the OP has repeatedly posted about buying a bass guitar - probably of the Precision persuasion - but never reported back to confirm that a purchase had been made. 
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The idea is simply to make all four strings sound the same volume through the amp, there is no exact 'right' adjustment. It's very normal to see them like this, or with the low E side even lower -

http://fenderbassplayer.com/images/articles/FBP-PBass9.jpg

This is because of the fingerboard radius, the increasing action height on the thicker strings, and the greater moving mass (and hence higher output) from the thicker strings, all added together.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    The word "slanted" is imprecise and misleading. 

Setting a split coils P style pickup at any angle other than perpendicular to the string path is possible but of little consequence so long as the string excursion remains within the magnetic field of the polepieces. 

In recent weeks, the OP has repeatedly posted about buying a bass guitar - probably of the Precision persuasion - but never reported back to confirm that a purchase had been made. 

You are right my friend. I have decided to buy a Fender Precision, probably Mex made and likely in early August when we return from holidays. I have checked out a few recently and noticed yesterday that some of the Ps had extreme slope on the pickups. Almost as if the instrument had received a hefty blow from rough handling. So apologies for all the questions about Precisions. The shops here have lots of white, black and red models. I have guitars in those colours and quite fancy a sunburst. The sunburst in the shop is a USA built model and is close to €2K.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Are there no pre-owned Fender USA basses for sale in The Republic?
    Be seeing you.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Are there no pre-owned Fender USA basses for sale in The Republic?

There are a few but the prices being asked is close to what a new bass would cost.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    All Ps are different when it comes to the 'slope' I find. Setup to taste. You can see some of the slope on my 64:

But it it depends on the pickup itself, the strings used, and the tone you are after. 
    ^
    Looks like my Squier Silver Series.  ;)
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^
    Looks like my Squier Silver Series.  ;)
    Probly doesn't sound that different either ;)
    My Fender AVRI '63 P left the factory with an erroneously fitted AVRI '58 pickup. (Raised A polepiece rod magnets.)
    Unable to tolerate the anachronism, I installed a pre-owned Duncan Antiquity in the AVRI '63. The Fender '58 style pickup went in my ex-HarrySeven Squier. This pickup and the USA tort 'guard are probably more valuable than the rest of the Squier put together. With D'Addario flats, the Squier makes a fine backup for the AVRI. Shame that it doesn't smell as good.

Be seeing you.
    My Fender AVRI '63 P left the factory with an erroneously fitted AVRI '58 pickup. (Raised A polepiece rod magnets.)
    Unable to tolerate the anachronism, I installed a pre-owned Duncan Antiquity in the AVRI '63. The Fender '58 style pickup went in my ex-HarrySeven Squier. This pickup and the USA tort 'guard are probably more valuable than the rest of the Squier put together. With D'Addario flats, the Squier makes a fine backup for the AVRI. Shame that it doesn't smell as good.

Lol - I do like a good smelling bass ;)
    Somebody should produce air freshener with the scent of new guitar/case.
    Be seeing you.
    Somebody should produce air freshener with the scent of new guitar/case.
    Sounds like the sort of shit Marshall would sell ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom