Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2017
    Expensive toys for fanboys no doubt. I expect them to be heavily discounted - why would you pay 1500 quid for a pair of these toys when for the same or less you could get a pair of, for example, Genelecs?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33778
    mellowsun said:
    Expensive toys for fanboys no doubt. I expect them to be heavily discounted - why would you pay 1500 quid for a pair of these toys when for the same or less you could get a pair of, for example, Genelecs?
    +1.
    Or Dynaudio, PMC, Adam, Focal etc.
    There are so many good sounding, professional products out there around 1-2 grand.
    Plus they are ugly as fuck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    I'm biased but I think these look classier if it's wood you want

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    Can you get them Tom Murphy aged?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26869
    No wait... is there a Joe Bonamassa version? ;)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    mellowsun said:
    I simply have NO idea.

I'll stick with my Harbeths, thanks.

Although, I think the Tobacco burst ones could look pretty sweet as home hi-fi speakers if you live in... Oh, I don't know... anywhere between 1970 and 1975, something like that...
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4974
    My experiences are that monitors, with the exception of Wilson Audio or BBC licensed monitors, don't make especially good hi-fi speakers.  
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Rocker said:
    My experiences are that monitors, with the exception of Wilson Audio or BBC licensed monitors, don't make especially good hi-fi speakers.  
    And kippers make for really bad long-distance running shoes. 

• lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    My PMC TB-1s make excellent hifi speakers.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4974

Delighted to hear that my friend.  Some years ago I tried a pair of PMC actives and a seriously good pre-amp (rare as hens teeth BTW) and the sound was awful.  Bass was not very deep but what there was, was as loud as I could take.  Which is very loud!  Overall the sound was harsh and would not encourage one to sit and listen to music.  For enjoyment that is.  Monitors are exactly that, to monitor what goes on in a studio.

Oh, at that time the active PMCs were around €6500 a pair and the pre-amp significantly more (multiples) if bought new though the unit I used was second hand.  Still expensive.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    What about the reverse, can hifi speakers make good monitors ?

i like my B&w 601 S3s but I've never thought to mix with them.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2931
    mellowsun said:
    What about the reverse, can hifi speakers make good monitors ?

i like my B&w 601 S3s but I've never thought to mix with them.
    I use AE22's for mid range focus (they make excellent listening speakers too by the way) and then B&W 602 S3's for the main mix through a QUAD amp. I find this gives me the best of both worlds. I figure if the midrange is good and it sounds  good on my hi-fi, it will translate to other systems well. So far So good.

So yes, hi-fi speakers can be used to monitor. Do they make 'good' monitors, depends on how you use them. I remember SoS reviewing the B&W's as if they were monitors and gave them a very good, but not brilliant, score. 'Worth auditoning' as they say. Often.

Hi-fi (pre)amps can add 'flavour' though.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Rocker said:

Delighted to hear that my friend.  Some years ago I tried a pair of PMC actives and a seriously good pre-amp (rare as hens teeth BTW) and the sound was awful.  Bass was not very deep but what there was, was as loud as I could take.  Which is very loud!  Overall the sound was harsh and would not encourage one to sit and listen to music.  For enjoyment that is.  Monitors are exactly that, to monitor what goes on in a studio.

Oh, at that time the active PMCs were around €6500 a pair and the pre-amp significantly more (multiples) if bought new though the unit I used was second hand.  Still expensive.
    There's certainly no lack of bass with my TB-2s! I'm using an Audiolab 8000A to power them.
    I'm listening to music I'm very familiar with through them, so I think it's a fair test of how they sound.
    I've always chosen hifi on its ability to sound as neutral as possible. I'd much rather listen to music as it was intended.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9575
    Be careful if you buy used, some of these may be Terry Morgans.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    They are foul looking specimens. They probably don't sound like £1500 of monitors either...