Helix FRFR?

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    JonHosker said:
    Friedman looks good but bigger and more £ than DXR10...which one?
    I need bedroom levels as well as moderate gig ones...advice please 
    Jon
    The DXR sounds fantastic, previously I used a little Alto ts110 that was £100 and that was perfectly good too, the Dxr is louder and does sound better, 5x better probably not 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonHosker said:
    Jon
    I sold my Friedman for 2x DXR10s and couldn't be happier.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    JonHosker said:
    Jon
    Jon - DXR10 mate. Full stop. It's a superb speaker.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Vaiai said:
    Alto TS210 purchased today - also as it was display model, got it for £220 and free Alto dust cover :) Gig tonight but will try it tomorrow. 
    Good deal
    let me know how you get on with it?
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The most surprising thing is that Line 6 haven't come out with a competitive product for the FRFR market that they've massively accelerated.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24199
    dindude said:
    The most surprising thing is that Line 6 haven't come out with a competitive product for the FRFR market that they've massively accelerated.
    L2T is it.
    dindude said:
    L2T is it.
    Yet in a thread dedicated to Helix FRFR no ones mentioned it = fail.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    dindude said:
    dindude said:
    L2T is it.
    It's been mentioned before though and the general opinion is it's more expensive and doesn't sound as good as the DXR10.
    simonk said:
    dindude said:
    dindude said:
    L2T is it.
    It's been mentioned before though and the general opinion is it's more expensive and doesn't sound as good as the DXR10.
    Yeah, and I guess my point was that the LT2 existed a good few years before Helix so it's basically what Line 6 have kicking around from a PA point of view, and seems quite a fussy system, why not something targeted specifically towards the guitar FRFR market? but then Yamaha and Line 6 are the same company these days so people walking out with DXR10's is no hardship.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    The Stagesource stuff was already a product in its own right, and has benefits over and above being a loud-box for a modeller - so I suppose if there is a gap in the range for a modeller FRFR tool it might be at a lower price point, with some of those additional features stripped out
    Red ones are better. 
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Cabicular said:
    Vaiai said:
    Alto TS210 purchased today - also as it was display model, got it for £220 and free Alto dust cover :) Gig tonight but will try it tomorrow. 
    Good deal
    From FB "That's a first... Took no amp or cab to rehearsal...just Helix and FRFR speaker! Didn't even have a sound set up. Took 15 mins beforehand to get a simple patch and off we went! Still some tweaking but out the box, very impressed."

Since then used it again - but not gigged - holds it's own - plenty bottom end but no boom - finding I need to put about 4db and some mid boost for solos which feels like more than it should be but using my ears rather than internet advice :) Only used it as a cab - was interested to see if I could use it on it's own in smaller gigs.

We have a Bose L1 that normally suffices for just vocals but our new drummer is a wee bit louder but bloody good so we have pulled out the big Yamaha PA and I will try that at next rehearsal hopefully. Used it last night in Falkirk (Behind the Wall) and DI'd bass and put in some kick drum too. From vids I saw recorded from the opposite side of the stage from me I was not really audible - going thru the PA should even that up.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Vaiai said:
    Cabicular said:
    Vaiai said:
    Good deal
    From FB "That's a first... Took no amp or cab to rehearsal...just Helix and FRFR speaker! Didn't even have a sound set up. Took 15 mins beforehand to get a simple patch and off we went! Still some tweaking but out the box, very impressed."

Since then used it again - but not gigged - holds it's own - plenty bottom end but no boom - finding I need to put about 4db and some mid boost for solos which feels like more than it should be but using my ears rather than internet advice :) Only used it as a cab - was interested to see if I could use it on it's own in smaller gigs.

We have a Bose L1 that normally suffices for just vocals but our new drummer is a wee bit louder but bloody good so we have pulled out the big Yamaha PA and I will try that at next rehearsal hopefully. Used it last night in Falkirk (Behind the Wall) and DI'd bass and put in some kick drum too. From vids I saw recorded from the opposite side of the stage from me I was not really audible - going thru the PA should even that up.

I have an exp pedal sweep from 0 - +7db for boost
    much better than a button as you can fade it up and down
    hiw did you enjoy behind the wall? I took it off our gig list ..  bit too neddy for us ;)
    edited July 2017
    Cabicular said:

Since then used it again - but not gigged - holds it's own - plenty bottom end but no boom - finding I need to put about 4db and some mid boost for solos which feels like more than it should be but using my ears rather than internet advice Only used it as a cab - was i

I have an exp pedal sweep from 0 - +7db for boost
    much better than a button as you can fade it up and down
    hiw did you enjoy behind the wall? I took it off our gig list ..  bit too neddy for us
    Will try that on my lead sound too.
    BTW is good upstairs, older crowd and all listened to us so can't complain! Got another booking there too, a Friday which is supposed to be really busy All the young pre-clubbers were downstairs lol
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    Good deal on these at the moment (they are about to be replaced), and have read good things about them on t'internet....
    https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/qsc-k10-active-pa-speaker

• Just a little thread revival here...

@Vaiai - how are you getting on with the TS210? Any tips and tricks to get the best out of it? I'll most likely be using it just as a stage monitor for gigs, and for my main output at rehearsals.

Of course, I'm guessing the smart thing would've been to ask that question before buying it, but...never pretended to have much sense.
    <space for hire>
    edited September 2017
    Just a little thread revival here...

@Vaiai - how are you getting on with the TS210? Any tips and tricks to get the best out of it? I'll most likely be using it just as a stage monitor for gigs, and for my main output at rehearsals.

Of course, I'm guessing the smart thing would've been to ask that question before buying it, but...never pretended to have much sense.
    I am not quite as much of a power user as others on here but I used the Alto at both gigs at the weekend and had no major issues - in fact the band said it was sounding better than ever and cuts thru the mix! My cleans felt a bit digital and lifeless but I have not spent too much time tweaking.

Certainly loud enough and the bass does need to be tamed a bit - 10" is definitely enough - 12" would be too much!
    One thing I did find interesting and need to try it myself was the thread discussing the Fletcher-Munson EQ block:
    http://line6.com/support/topic/25978-creating-tones-for-direct-to-foh/

As a stage monitor it's fantastic and much better than monitors I have had in most venues - mainly because you can tweak the sound how you want.

• So is it a false economy to go with the TS210 over the DXR10? It's very tempting, being half the price and 5kg lighter...but I am finding with this sort of thing that I usually end up buying the more expensive thing anyway as I'm rarely happy with the budget option...not that 250 quid is exactly 'budget' but you know what I mean. :)
  • So is it a false economy to go with the TS210 over the DXR10? It's very tempting, being half the price and 5kg lighter...but I am finding with this sort of thing that I usually end up buying the more expensive thing anyway as I'm rarely happy with the budget option...not that 250 quid is exactly 'budget' but you know what I mean. :)
    each to their own really.. I have the ALTO.. works for me in a Metallica tribute ;-)
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Depends what you are using it for, as backline for bigger gigs with a loud drummer I would say DXR, as a personal monitor or gigs where you are going through the PA I'm sure the Alto would be great.  Ive just got a DB technologies to use as a personal monitor as we have a decent PA, it's tiny, light and sounds great
  • John_A said:
    as backline for bigger gigs with a loud drummer I would say DXR
    Purely due to volume? I don't think I would be relying on FRFR as backline without also going to the PA...but it might be good to have that option. Question is whether it's worth the extra weight & cost. It supposedly sounds better too. I see Dawsons have the DXR on a bit of a sale atm...£444.