Father: Merle Haggard, Joan Baez, Dolly Parton
    We are all Chameleons...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    Mum-Andy Williams, Queen, Rainbow

Dad- Quo, Helen Ready, Beatles, Mamas and Papas

• Chris777Chris777 Frets: 58
    Mum - was more classical music, she played piano really well, her favourite piece was the Warsaw Concerto, if I hear it now it always moves me to tears, I was 13 when she passed.

Dad - loved anything and everything that was "Good music" as he used to say, I still have his record collection that fills this small room I am in now, I could never part with them, luckily my wife feels the same, a few times a year we have a record party with friends, we get out all the records and play them, he would have loved that :).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I don't think my dad is an especially big music fan but the tapes he had in his car were Simon and Garfunkel, Bread, Phil Collins era Genesis and Fleetwood Mac.

My mum likes depressing singer songwriter stuff like Bob Dylan, Gillian Welsh, Alison Kraus. She also loves Eric Clapton and JoBo bizarrely.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Dad was mostly into jazz stuff, especially piano trios such as Oscar Peterson, Errol Garner, and Ahmad Jamal.  When he was 75, I took him to the NEC to see Steely Dan on their Y2K tour - he loved it!

Mum used to like Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis, Ella Fitzgerald, and musicals from the 50's and 60's, e.g. My Fair Lady, Camelot, West Side Story, and so on.  Nowadays, she leaves Smooth FM on all day...

• duotoneduotone Frets: 972
    Dad was just happy with the radio, Capitol Gold station as it used to be called. Beatles/Rolling Stones/Motown/Queen/Sam Cooke etc. which I grew up listening to & still love.

Mum liked Irish & country music, Ilike some of the country stuff, but am not really into Irish music. I wouldn't go out and buy a cd of it, put it that way.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited July 2017
    Medieval and Renaissance
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Dad didn't seem to have much of an interest. 
    Mum liked anything Irish. Brendan Shine, and Brose Welsh and his Sunshine Band were the main two played. If you don't know who they are then you are lucky.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    viz said:
    Medieval and Renaissance
    Your dad is Ritchie Blackmore...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Dad wasn't that much into music - I think he only had two records in the house: Johnny Mathis and Richard Clayderman. I haven't thought about Richard Clayderman in decades - I'm off to YT to remind myself. I remember playing Nirvana's Nevermind over and over when it came out on the only record player in the house (in the living room) - we were out in the car one day with his mate and SLTS came on the radio and his mate asked what this rubbish was. My dad gave him withering look and said 'Nirvana - you really need to keep in touch!' His mate genuinely thought my dad was 'with it'.

Mum liked swing and big band, and that has probably seeped through to my musical tastes, but has always been into popular stuff. I can remember the first album that stuck in my mind as being ABBA's Arrival (the album cover of the group sitting in a helicopter rather than the music itself) but I think she must have bought it a year or two after it was released or my memory goes back to when I was two or three.
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited July 2017
    viz said:
    Medieval and Renaissance
    Your dad is Ritchie Blackmore...
    Lol :)
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    Richard Clayderman is not good.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    Dad:- Beatles, Beach Boys, Motown, Shadows, Eagles, Eddie Cochran, Country (mainly modern stuff though), bit of early 70s rock. He also played in bands during the 60s, so a fair bit of 60s chart pop. He had some reasonable Hi-Fi kit when I was growing up so got to hear a lot of music on a decent system. Mostly listens in the car now.

Mum:- No real favourites, but did say she preferred the Rolling Stones over The Beatles back in the day. Mainly listens to the local oldies radio station (Radio Tay AM) as she has done since it started years ago.
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Has anyone posted Irish Country music yet, if not then treat yourself to...

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My Dad used to play at the Cavern in the early 60's with 'The Dions' so when he Demob'd from the Army in '76 he'd kept a huge love for music, mainly guitar based.
    Pink Floyd, Van Halen, ACDC, Led Zeppelin......
    He suffered from a huge bout of depression in his late 40's and gave up on music completely then he died at 53 quite suddenly but when he did love it, he loved the guitar based stuff and gave me some amazing influences.

My Mum NOW is a big country music fan among other things and likes some pretty cool artists including Ray La Montagne but back then she would sing "La-De-Dah" along with every song that existed and clap on 1 and 3.
    It was fucking embarassing.
    I'm very proud of how she's matured over the years and she's learned to clap in time properly now as well.
    :)

• SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    eSully said:
    Has anyone posted Irish Country music yet, if not then treat yourself to...

Yeah, Christ, Declan was a godsend compared to Brendan Shine.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    My Mum and Dad married in 1959. My Dad's passion was and always was Opera, he adored Opera. My Mum at that time was into Buddy Holly, Cliff Richard, Elvis, Bill Haley, Fats Domino, The Platters, Lonnie Donegan, Tommy Steele et al.

It was pure destiny they got together :)

My Dad did have quite a few faves from "Popular Music" throughout the decades though :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.