Anyone gig in a duo?

What's Hot
John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
edited July 2017 in Live
I was talking to a singer mate of mine this week about doing gigs together using backing tracking 
 On the plus side it would solve the problems trying to complete a band line up - usual difficulties looking for keys and bass players.  It would be quick and easy to get sorted,  plenty of gigs out there.  

The downsides are that's it's more fun working in a full band and there are fewer "cool" gigs - becomes more like a job, but we wouldn't want to be out every week so we can afford to pick and choose. 

Anyone here doing something similar?  
Could we make it work with a rock or rock/blues theme? - most acts I know doing this end up with cheesy pop and that's fine but not us.     
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    I play in an acoustic duo with the soon to be Mrs, it can work okay with backing tracks we don't use them instead guitar and octave mandoline, the cool gigs are the ones where the crowds on your side singing their heads off. The other sort of cool gig to me is where the artiste is doing impenetrable twaddle which which is right on for the vegan cafe on the high street, not my scene.
    what I would recommend is keep it simple, don't use tracks but really work on how to make the songs you want to do significantly different and interesting using what you've got. If it's any good word will soon get round
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    +1. I think tracks suck. 

If the singer doesn't play, consider a third band member - trios are a great way forward, I've been in one for two years.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3310
    I do. As long as you get really good quality tracks, it's ok. The strangest part is having no loud drummer (or amps) behind me. 
     I don't love it, but if I'm free I'll do it and it can be fun but cheating. Make more money than out with full band too. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    KKJale said:
    +1. I think tracks suck. 

If the singer doesn't play, consider a third band member - trios are a great way forward, I've been in one for two years.
    A trio with a lead singer in bass is my favourite lineup.  

But there seems to be to be a real shortage of good local bass player.      Even I'm picking up a fair amount of dep work on bass.  

So the next alternative while looking for someone might be a duo.   

I play in an acoustic duo with the soon to be Mrs, it can work okay with backing tracks we don't use them instead guitar and octave mandoline, the cool gigs are the ones where the crowds on your side singing their heads off. The other sort of cool gig to me is where the artiste is doing impenetrable twaddle which which is right on for the vegan cafe on the high street, not my scene.
    what I would recommend is keep it simple, don't use tracks but really work on how to make the songs you want to do significantly different and interesting using what you've got. If it's any good word will soon get round
    I do a bit of the acoustic stuff and work with a few acts but my harmonies are no where near good enough to gig with one acoustic and one lead singer imo.  

I do. As long as you get really good quality tracks, it's ok. The strangest part is having no loud drummer (or amps) behind me. 
     I don't love it, but if I'm free I'll do it and it can be fun but cheating. Make more money than out with full band too. 
    Sounds like a similar approach to what I had in mind.  Occasional gigs to fill the diary that can be very last minute.    
    What sort of material do you do?     I was debating some rock related theme - highway to hell/living on a prayer/sweet child type stuff that would show off her vocals and have plenty of guitar. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3310
    John_P said:
    KKJale said:
    +1. I think tracks suck. 

A trio with a lead singer in bass is my favourite lineup.  

But there seems to be to be a real shortage of good local bass player.      Even I'm picking up a fair amount of dep work on bass.  

So the next alternative while looking for someone might be a duo.   

I do a bit of the acoustic stuff and work with a few acts but my harmonies are no where near good enough to gig with one acoustic and one lead singer imo.  

Sounds like a similar approach to what I had in mind.  Occasional gigs to fill the diary that can be very last minute.    
    What sort of material do you do?     I was debating some rock related theme - highway to hell/living on a prayer/sweet child type stuff that would show off her vocals and have plenty of guitar. 
    All of that stuff, then some Johnny cash, dire straits etc. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    Have done it, hated it. You're at the mercy of the key the backing track is in - not good when you usually tune down half a step. Lots of artists out there don't even do their own songs in the original key live!

also you have to really know the backing tracks. There's no letting the riff cycle around once more before coming in with the verse because you missed your cue.

my question would be : is there a market for it in the Rock and Blues genre? My guess is that those kinds of crowds expect a live band, not backing tracks.

Have done it, hated it. You're at the mercy of the key the backing track is in - not good when you usually tune down half a step. Lots of artists out there don't even do their own songs in the original key live!

also you have to really know the backing tracks. There's no letting the riff cycle around once more before coming in with the verse because you missed your cue.

my question would be : is there a market for it in the Rock and Blues genre? My guess is that those kinds of crowds expect a live band, not backing tracks.
    The key isn't an issue but I take your point about arrangements - I'm ok with that aspect, it would be more irritating if I wasn't gigging with other bands. 

The last point about whether there is a market market is a good one though and one of the reasons I asked to see if anyone was doing anything similar and how it worked.     

I might sort a few tracks, try them in a rehearsal room rather than just at home and see what it feels like,  then maybe do a couple of test gigs - there are loads of multi act gigs this summer I could jump into and do a half hour spot to test the reaction.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    Used to play in an acoustic functions project a few years back. Alot easier than a 5 piece band in terms of gear/politics!

As I played acoustic and he sung vocals it was so easy to get around to venues, as there were no massive amps to lug about and most had a PA. Relying on everyone to turn up on time wasn't an issue as there were only 2 of us.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116

@John_P  If you don't think your harmonies are good enough come up with another way of providing the harmony, this is what I was getting at twist the song and arrangement to fit what you have available 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk

@John_P  If you don't think your harmonies are good enough come up with another way of providing the harmony, this is what I was getting at twist the song and arrangement to fit what you have available 
    I've used a harmoniser in the past and I can get by but I'm more interested in doing something full electric than doing acoustic gigs. 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    If the singer can bang a beat out on a tambourine even something that simple can add massively to your sound without requiring backing tracks or anything.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    Me and Mrs.K go out a couple of times as a duo (me on acoustic guitar and backing vocals and she on main vocal). When the set needs reinforcements, I switch to bass or 2nd guitar and get a friend in on acoustic & voice and then we get 3 part vocal harmonies. At Open Mics, the addition of a cajon works well and Mrs.K is handy on the shakers and tambourine anyway, so that can give the song some movement

I don't like backing tracks and find them too impersonal, especially as  when there's an instrument player there. I can see how they can work for a lone singer but nah. Not for me. Now I've no problem with a looper or harmoniser.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    did it for ten years.. the club scene eroded my soul... as lucrative as it could be I was glad to see the back of it.. I recently considered it after I found myself sans band late last year but it was definitely going to be "on my terms" venue gigs.
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I know someone who does a duo with backing tracks. He owns the PA, sorts the gigs, plays a bit of guitar, does shouty BVs and his partner sings. They get a lot of gigs and it's a very flexible set up - they've played the same places as us as well as venues you couldn't fit a band in. Assuming they get the same money for the same venues we do I think they are making a modest living out of it. It's ska/reggae/punk stuff so they can do a 'fans only' type set or a cross over everyone knows it type set. If you were doing rock/ blues I think you'd have to take a similarly flexible approach of having a fairly large repertoire of 'serious' rock to a greatest hits type approach that works for a wider audience. 
    I think there's also something about being confident about engaging with an audience, if you are in a duo with backing tapes and are stood still and don't say anything then they might as well get a DJ.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10396

I did it for 2 years, I played guitar, the lead singer played bass and I had the drums and keys on minidisk which is a robust format for this line of work.  I didn't like it, it is fake, but the money was better than the 4 piece band I had come from

The key of a track shouldn't be am issue as you normally get the track as a midi file then mute the bits you don''t want and transpose it into any key you want ... then you midi out to a good sound module or keyboard and record the audio from that. Full on backing tracks with everything are more for Karaoke

These days I still play gigs as a duo \ trio or quartet  but  there's no backing it's all real and to be honest most good songs come across just fine with no drums or bass. Also  with backing tracks the set may as well be laminated .. your tied to it. With 2 guitars you can take requests and just wing it ... that's the bit I love, the excitement of doing it on the spot 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I've done it as a duo with a bass player and trio with my misses and another girl. Made my own tracks so key not an issue. Not nearly as fulfilling as playing in my bands but the other day I played a party in someone's garden for £350 solo, better pay than many pro bands out there?
    Extra money is a bonus but I'm thinking it's a way to fill some gaps in the gig diary and have a bit of fun with it.   
    Find the balance of songs we enjoy they people know and take it from there.    Try not to be too serious but sound good.  

I've used minidisc in the past to cover keyboard parts - what is everyone using now?   I could do I with my phone or an iPod but are there any good apps/software and controllers for starting songs?
  • Digitech Jam Man Stereo