Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Kemp Guitars *2017-2018* Build Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• xKempGuitarsxKempGuitars Frets: 183
    edited February 2019
     WezV said:
    I have always preferred to go with normal pickups, i think of it as being like the bridge slant on a strat.   although its worth noting that the kemp ones above has a fan starting from the bridge so a single straight pickup looks fine.    I have always had the fan starting from somewhere between 12th fret and nut which obviously gives more slant on the bridge end

[PIC REMOVED]

Nice build. I think it works looks-wise (non-angled pup)

The Havoc pickup was designed for guitars like this, it's a balls to the wall metal pickup with triple magnets and a 16k DCR, but with over height bobbins, so it retains all the high end harmonics and splits to be like a true single coil ... like two 8k strat pickups in the same unit. Sorry ... I'm very into what I do :-)

No, that's good to know. I did consider Oil City pups on a recent(ish) build. I will have to find out more and perhaps try out some of your products - including the Havoc by the sounds of it. It's getting late and I need some sleep so I'll take a look through your site tomorrow and start thinking about pups for my next stock build. Initial thoughts were something along the lines of the SD Distortion... Or maybe I'll just try out The Havoc

I also develop pickups specifically for and with builders as I did with Blackmachine. I can always cut you a deal m'boy ;-)

I'll tell you what, I'd like to get the current stock builds finished and out the workshop asap as I'm going to be moving house (and workshop) sometime over the next two months. Once I'm all set up at the new place then I'll get in touch with you directly and we can have a chat - That also gives me time to think about what I'd like to be putting in my builds as standard
    Kemp Guitars - Custom Made Guitars for the Modern Rock & Metal Guitarist
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9980
    tFB Trader
    By all means ... phone me anytime you like ... my number is on the Oil City website :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

By all means ... phone me anytime you like ... my number is on the Oil City website :-)

Thanks, will do
    edited January 2019

Sealed and primed - the new DC and SS Archtop builds looking good in white but they're still getting those colours

edited January 2019

These colours 3

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I don't actually buy guitars any more, I just make my own, but I have to say that these are looking really good! Very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing the finished articles.
     axisus said:
    I don't actually buy guitars any more, I just make my own, but I have to say that these are looking really good! Very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing the finished articles.
    Thanks axisus, I'm looking forward to seeing them finished too - I haven't really had the chance to use colours like this before and the whole style/spec is my own taste. It will be hard to see these go :/
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    KempGuitars said:

It will be hard to see these go :/
    I have built one guitar, and I know from that that I could never build guitars and sell them. 
    edited January 2019

Finished these two...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ^ New post

edited February 2019

Next build... How about a Strat-body? Lefty? And what about an archtop body? Reverse headstock? Yep! Oh, and I've got a fair bit of Wenge and Maple to use up so we'll have some of that too Now to decide on the colour...

edited January 2019

The left-handed archtop Strat-body build taking shape. Going with a blue on this one, black Gotoh hardware and Super Distortion pickup…

• Arghhh - you make awesome guitars out of wonderful wood, then paint them orange and green - shudders! ;-)
  • Arghhh - you make awesome guitars out of wonderful wood, then paint them orange and green - shudders! ;-)

Hahaha! I know, it's a sin. I knew I'd be spraying but they only had that perfect qsawn stuff in. Next Sapele build will probably be natural =)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343

Not "my thing" in terms of colour or style for something that I'd buy/play, but I do like the simplicity of the design - look like they'd be most effective.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    Arghhh - you make awesome guitars out of wonderful wood, then paint them orange and green - shudders! ;-)
    And this

;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    edited January 2019

We are back online having recently moved house. Unfortunately, not much to report on the build-front as I've been unpacking boxes... DC3 is nearly ready for oil finish, that leftie Strat-body is ready for spraying (delayed as a result of the move) and the Buckeye Burl top for the custom 8-string multiscale KR3 is now dry enough to use.

The DC3 (which I'm not sure about now as a body shape) will be left natural as the Sapele has a little figure in addition to the q'sawn straight grain. It's accompanied with a Maple/Wenge neck, Makore fretboard and black head plate/veneer. Routed for HS pickup configuration and Gotoh TOM bridge...

kd3150917jpg

I've also started making a little progress on an 8-string Multiscale neck-thru V, starting with the Wenge/Maple neck, on to which I'm gluing a Marblewood fretboard and Buckeye Burl head plate (to mirror the Buckeye top on the Swamp Ash body) - close-up...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

On the bench at the moment... Includes the custom 8-string multiscale KR3 I've spoken of before. The 3-piece Wenge and Maple (thru-body) neck with Marblewood fretboard is ready to glue Swamp Ash wings to before a figured Buckeye Burl top goes on...

And that leftie Archtop Strat-body that I was last seen working on last month...

SHOCK BLUE!!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2019

All glued up; KR3 with it's Swamp Ash (body) wings and Buckeye Burl top...

edited February 2019

Finished... Lefty archtop Strat-body offering some great harmonics and balanced tone! Alder body, Maple/Wenge neck, Indian Rosewood fretboard (24 frets), Gotoh hardware and Super Distortion pup...

(Edit: it's changed colour?! Yes, this was blue but now it's red... I also added a neck pup)