Ipad recording advice needed please !! (plus a track to advise me about)

What's Hot

OK there is the link. 

My questions are when I try a longer track it keeps saying it's optimizing but never seems to finish. Can I do anything about that ? 
Ive been using garage band can I import that to another DAW ? Or at least garageband on another pc if I save it to the cloud as a project ?

Any tips on recording the vocals ? Ps thanks for help. Hope you like the stone roses meet's  Sgt pepper type tune. The track was just me experimenting and the words just suggested themselves. Its a tribute to a friend that passed at only 32.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    I believe you can import Garageband projects into Logic, however for this you need a Mac, not a PC
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    You can import tracks from garageband into Auria pro or Cubasis,  You have to mute all the other tracks and import one at a time though unfortunately. 
  • Oh cool. Thanks I have cubasis but couldmy work put how to import. Plus I want to be able to send the tracks to the drummer so he can put in studio 1

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    I drafted a comment on your other thread and forgot to post it. I like the track, it is cool.

I can't help you with GarageBand stuff, but with your vocals, have you eq'd them? A high pass filter can help remove low end frequencies on your vocal track which will help them stand out in the mix, do you have a vocal bus/auxiliary track set up (not sure what they are called I'm GarageBand)?

Compressors can help bring things forward, the reverbs and delays you have on the vocals are going to push them back into the mix, have a look at your plugins and see if you can set frequency cut offs, so the effect is only working part of the vocal track - for instance, I set my vocal delays to effect around 800hz - 5khz only, cut the lows will mean it is clearer in the mix.

A gentle eq boost around 2khz or 3.5 kHz (has to be gentle) with a narrow cut on other instrument tracks helps with my vocals, depending on the octave I am singing in. 

One other thing I noticed, is the bass panned to the right? Are you going for that old Beatles early stereo sound?
  • Yeah it is panned. And yes it was for that sgr pepper style. The ipad is fun as hell not sure you can do a buss or high pass. But will have a look. We record live at the room full band onto studio 1. Which has those options and I will try the suggestions on that. Wish I could just export the tracks to mp3 or wav to put onto studio 1

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    It sound like you need something a bit more advanced than Garageband! 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    +1

Judging by your project, you are on the cusp of becoming a power user. Both the host device and the GarageBand revision may be at their limits. Try and find out the CPU usage statistics.

I am trying to remember whether GB defines a maximum project folder size? If you have numerous instrument part tracks and each of these involves amp modelling and/or modulation effects, it places huge demands on the tablet's processor chip. One way around this is to Solo one track at a time then export it, complete with all of the effects. Save this audio track. Re-import it to a fresh audio track.

It may be worthwhile opening a new "Phase 2" project folder especially for hosting these saved tracks. This would be the modern equivalent of bouncing down onto a second multi-track tape recorder. Very Beatles-esque!
    Be seeing you.
  • I figured Beatles only had a four track so the limitations might be a good thing  

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    For moving audio around between iOS apps Kymatica's 'Audioshare' is an almost essential utility (rough demo here)  - although for getting the audio then on somewhere else I think it's way more easy now - so many audio apps support open-in from Audioshare now

Audioshare is worth having anyway.

If you're doing serious stuff I'd recommend taking a look at some demos of both Cubasis and Auria Pro and getting the one that looks like you'll get on with the workflow best (and actually I think there are demo or low cot versions of both to try yourself)
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    I figured Beatles only had a four track so the limitations might be a good thing  
    Yes....but the also had 4 people....and an visionary producer...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • Fair point

• @Funkfingers @IMC1980 @TimmyO thanks for advice and help

I did all of this just fooling around and didn't really have a song in mind. Just added some singing to finish it off. I kinda like it. But different to our band. Which is very guitar heavy. 

I find garage easy to make ideas. But will look at cubasis more as I do have that. 

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    GarageBand  is indeed nice and simple, it just comes to a dead stop after a certain point of capability 

The said I actually use it a bit more these days - because a few things recently have started life in the Music Memos app on iPhone which then syncs to GarageBand. I do a bit more there and at some point take some on to Cubasis 
    Red ones are better.