Got my first proper gig this weekend - advice?

What's Hot
the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
After playing for the last few years at a couple of jam nights per week I have my first proper gig this Friday night. I'm joining the house band from one of the jam nights at a biggish outdoor gig for a junior football and sport festival thing.

I have taken my amp and pedals to the jam nights before but this will be the first time that I have been miced up, my first time doing a soundcheck and my first time in front of a crowd of proper punters.

Any advice or tips from anyone who has done this before? Anything in particular to consider?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405

Whenever your not playing your guitar have the volume down .... mic'ed up through the PA even small amounts of noise are noticeable
    Until it gets dark you might struggle to see your tuner outdoors ... a little sun shield made from cardboard will help if that's the case
    Let the guitar acclimatise to the outside weather before tuning but don't leave it in the glaring sun 

Plan what riff your gonna play for soundcheck and make sure your dirty \ clean \ boost sounds aren't miles apart in volume

Playing outside sounds different as the drums don't bounce off the walls ... so be prepared for it to sound a little different to normal 

Have fun basically 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1795
    Cheers Danny, some good stuff for me to think about there.

Anyone else have anything to add?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Always know where the toilets are. The ritual pre set wee. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Check you have leads, strap, picks, power cables etc. at least twice before you leave the house!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    edited July 2017
    Stand with your legs further apart than normal. This settles you down and makes you look like a rock star and avoid hollow bodies if you can, they tend to feedback like a bitch up there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The mere thought of playing in front of anybody literally gives me nightmares.

Best of luck old chap.
  • Don't get drunk, relax and enjoy it. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Don't get drunk, relax and enjoy it. 
    For me that's contradictory advice.  Facing a crowd without at least a modicum of dutch courage is anathema.  Too much and you get sloppy, but not enough and you're uptight.  What do Mitchell and Webb say?  Just less than two pints is perfect.  Get one inside you and have the other on stage.
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Maybe this is jumping the gun considering it's your first gig, but start as you mean to go on - remember *you're* the one up on stage, *you're* the "rock star", try and act like it.  Don't be afraid to show off - move around, come to the front for solos (don't fall off!), interact with the band and the crowd.  Smile.  Act cool, basically.  It's what the audience want to see and it's a virtuous circle.  The more you do it, the more they like it, the more you do it.
    edited July 2017
    Nice one, will definitely take these comments on board.

"Always know where the toilets are"

That's a great tip.

"avoid hollow bodies if you can, they tend to feedback like a bitch up there"

Hmm, I'll be playing a Gretsch Country Gent as my number 1. I'm pretty good at dealing with, and sometimes using, the feedback in the pubs that I've played in but will keep an ear open for more outside.

I'll probably do the "one inside, one on the floor" beer thing as I know how it makes my playing sloppier if I have more.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Make sure you take two of everything, and you'll need more cables than you think. Picks, strings, etc etc.

If you have a pedal tuner then great, tune after every song. The muting function is great so your guitar isn't ringing out or feeding back/humming between songs.

Enjoy yourself, you're allowed to, look up and engage with the audience, smile tap your foot, anything.

Make sure as well the whole band is well rehearsed on the set list order (write in down) and the transitions between songs are smooth e.g no awkward silences. If there's nothing to say maybe prepare an instrumental piece the group can play.

If you use a lot of pedals its helpful to have them all connected up and ready to go. I've seen bands taking ages to set up cos they connect each one up with a patch cable and it takes forever. Mine has two cables, one from the footswitch to the amp, and one from my noisegate to the amp. I use a wireless so I don't need another one.

Good luck and rock out!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    DesVegas said:
    Stand with your legs further apart than normal. This settles you down and makes you look like a rock star and avoid hollow bodies if you can, they tend to feedback like a bitch up there
    If you are doing vocals or BVs then moving your legs apart a bit definitely helps. 

Generally smile and move about a bit ( if you can) as if you look bored the audience will think it's boring. Lend focus - if someone else in the band is doing something of note ( such as a solo) look interested in it, again if you don't then you are sending out the wrong message.

99.99% of the time the audience wants to enjoy what you are doing so take it for granted that they are happy to see you there. 

I'm less certain about having a beer, I can't think of many other relatively complex things to do where relaxing yourself with alcohol is seen as a good thing. 'Right MrTheWeary before I start your vasectomy I'm going to have a glass of Chardonnay just to take the edge off...'
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Don't get drunk before you go on. Always go to the toilet before you go on. Between songs, tune your guitar as often as possible. Have as much fun as you possibly can.

The nerves usually calm down or disappear completely a few seconds after your first chord so just kick back and enjoy it after that.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701

Take a cable reel extension.  There might be one there.    Or there might be 2 plugs for the whole band.

Take a small towel to wipe yer sweaty head and guitar down.

Take a big stick, to beat the groupies off, if so desired.

And remember, it's about having fun.

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Smile
    look at the audience
    smile
    laugh
    DONT lok don at your guitar
    interact with the audience
    Laugh
    Smile
    LOok at the audience
    laugh
    smile
    enjoy it
    visibly
    even if you aren't

it adds no value whatsoever if you hit every note and riff but you are miserably looking down at your strings, effects , amp and bandmates

Ps most audiences can't work out  a bum note, missed nite or poorly timed solo , let alone work out it was you
    so, back to the above. Smile, laugh and interact
    if you play any music that's a bonus

good luck - it is the best thing

• PANIC!!!!!!! 

Actually no - what @sev112 said
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Don't get flustered when you fuck something up. Pretty much everyone fucks something up in pretty much every gig. If you keep going half your band won't even notice, never mind the crowd.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited July 2017
    As above, plus chewing gum, deodorant, sunglasses, a shiny 80s jacket from a charity shop, cool shoes, spare black t-shirt, and a friend to take awesome pictures and to video your solos. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    This is all great stuff.

I'm hoping I might be able to sort some pics or video but we'll see. Getting excited now
    Well, it all went really well. Set ran smoothly, sound was great and we, and the crowd I think, really enjoyed it. All my kit performed perfectly apart from my old Fuzzface that had a bit of a crackle so I just pulled that out and I'll have a look in due course.

Thank you for the tips everyone; I put most of them into practice

Looking forward to the next one now