Cover you're most enjoying at the moment

What's Hot

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    edited July 2017
    andyoz said:
    I'm still waiting to see a band do Sanctuary. The relative simplicity is it's genius.
    At least we only use it for a soundcheck now. 
    It used to be in the set.  And while it can work on occasions it can more often clear a floor. 
    The perfect example being a pub full of people there for a leaving party, mostly female teachers, all up and dancing and "Sanctuary" cleared the lot of 'em as I saw one girl mouth to her mate "I dunno what this is." 
    It can be fun to play cos I love echoed nonsense more than most but the song's over 30 years old and was never massive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Grunfeld said:
    andyoz said:
    I'm still waiting to see a band do Sanctuary. The relative simplicity is it's genius.
    It used to be in the set.  And while it can work on occasions it can more often clear a floor. 
    The perfect example being a pub full of people there for a leaving party, mostly female teachers, all up and dancing and "Sanctuary" cleared the lot of 'em as I saw one girl mouth to her mate "I dunno what this is." 
    It can be fun to play cos I love echoed nonsense more than most but the song's over 30 years old and was never massive.
    When I was a student there was a big pub we went to that had loud music and a dance floor. As I remember it they played Sanctuary every night, it would pretty much clear the dance floor, a bunch of blokes ( inc me)would come on and bop around to it then they'd put something else on and the dancers would reappear and the blokes would go back to their pints. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 339
    Chesney Hawks "The one and only"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Harder to Brathe by Maroon 5. We've just started doing it and it grooves really nicely.  I also get a big noisy solo
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    monkey42 said:
    Chesney Hawks "The one and only"
    That song always make me think about @Col_Decker saying it had more chords than any other song he'd ever played ( someylike that anyway). Nick Kershaw written song IIRC. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    Don't leave me this way, shout to the top. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
    Don't leave me this way, shout to the top. 

https://www.facebook.com/11211496447/videos/10154827694896448/
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    This is it - Melba Moore.  Catchy pop song with lovely harmonies. Not a common song but recognisable and danceable too. Quite refreshing to perform. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    ESBlonde said:
    This is it - Melba Moore.  Catchy pop song with lovely harmonies. Not a common song but recognisable and danceable too. Quite refreshing to perform. 
    One of our forumites recently played in her band at The Jazz Cafe.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited July 2017
    My 2 favourite covers are Madness's "It must be love" and The Specials version of "Monkey Man". However, I'm loving what this funky band of session guys are doing, particular this and check out Brother Strut's other stuff.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3071
    My favourite new one is Sgt. Rock. Inspired by all the ska bands on here we've started doing Gangsters too. Very enjoyable. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1382
    Roxanne, Express yourself (mash up of original and labyrinth) Love shack
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • David Bowie "Changes" in my new tribute band Bowie Fashion.
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    "Can't get enough" by Bad Company.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • Always loved playing the "Alright Now" solo. Just lie back and ride the waves =0
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    Grunfeld said:
    andyoz said:
    I suspect it's because the song is a bit lacking in dynamics - it sort of sits on one level of energy and never really shifts around much.  The groove is also carried by the guitar rather than the bass or drums so doesn't really engage in the same way.

[This space for rent]

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    I've been doing Sanctuary since I was 18, its ok for some occasions but I'm very bored of it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Swords of a thousand men - Tenpole Tudor. Always gets the crowd singing and moving.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    ICBM said:
    so why play any of about a dozen crap ones that seem to be all punters want? 
    We're a TexMex-inspired outfit, all covers, quite a few Mavericks songs.

Played a "festival" gig yesterday. Actually had a drunk woman come to the stage and ask "Why don't you play something we know? You're shit".

<sigh>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Power of love - Huey Lewis, great guitar parts to play and the punters love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom