Solid state Combo amp?

What's Hot

Comments

• I have a Valvestate VS65R and can echo what's been said. They are a bargain as far as I'm concerned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Sessionette 75" aka as the "British Boogie" back in the day, cracking little amps 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    sweepy said:
    Sessionette 75" aka as the "British Boogie" back in the day, cracking little amps 
    I've never heard them described as that before… as I remember it the 'British Boogie' was the Burman Pro 2000.

There's also the Carlton High Gain Combo, which was a solid-state amp definitely modelled on a Boogie - some even had hardwood cabinets and wicker grilles. In fact, if anyone knows where there's one for sale, I would probably be interested. (NB, not the 'Camel', which was a very bad valve amp!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
    edited July 2017
    ICBM said:
    Orange Crush 60 or 120

I've got the 60. Appears to be very well built and with decent quality components. The gain channel has that typical slightly breathy Orange sound. The clean channel is exactly that but starts breaking up nicely when pushed. Very valve-like response. I like that it that Orange don't feel the need to include effects, tuner, headphones out, etc. Just a straightforward SS (analogue) amp. Only real issue for me is the 44lb weight which, though not unmanageable, does seem pretty heavy for a solid state combo.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I had the Marshall 8080 also. Loved it at the time. I would probably modify the cab to make it a closed-back if I had another.
    HAL9000 said:

Only real issue for me is the 44lb weight which, though not unmanageable, does seem pretty heavy for a solid state combo.
    My Peavey Special - which admittedly is 120W and is now fitted with a 400W PA bass driver for a speaker - weighs 61lb...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    I've got a Peavey Studio Pro 112 which is basically a bandit. Ticks all the boxes. 
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

Only real issue for me is the 44lb weight which, though not unmanageable, does seem pretty heavy for a solid state combo.
    My Peavey Special - which admittedly is 120W and is now fitted with a 400W PA bass driver for a speaker - weighs 61lb...
    Indeed. But a Katana 100 weighs 32lb, Katana 100-212 (with twice as many speakers) is 43lb, and a Blues Cube Artist about 35lb. Given that, I'd expect a 60W combo with a single 12" speaker to be in the 30 - 35lb range.
    HAL9000 said:

Indeed. But a Katana 100 weighs 32lb, Katana 100-212 (with twice as many speakers) is 43lb, and a Blues Cube Artist about 35lb. Given that, I'd expect a 60W combo with a single 12" speaker to be in the 30 - 35lb range.
    Except that the Orange is a 60W Class AB rather than Class D, and has a traditional power transformer instead of a switch-mode power supply. Old-school tech weighs more… and even the heatsink is bigger than it really needs to be because it's the same as the one in the 120. I wouldn't be surprised if the chassis is substantially heavier too, it's a really solid thing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

Except that the Orange is a 60W Class AB rather than Class D, and has a traditional power transformer instead of a switch-mode power supply. Old-school tech weighs more… and even the heatsink is bigger than it really needs to be because it's the same as the one in the 120. I wouldn't be surprised if the chassis is substantially heavier too, it's a really solid thing.
    Ha - you made me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

Yup. Good point.
  • I had an Orange Crush CR120H and it sounded HUUUUUGE - ultimately I got shot of it because honestly who needs a full size head playing in a 10' x 8' room!?
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Katana, Blues Cube or THR100.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    edited July 2017
    quilter pro block is simply superb.  takes pedals superbly, easilty loud enough for a gig, can use it with just about any speaker the direct out is good enough for putting through a pa, has an ok reverb, and fx loop.  it won't give you a great high gain sound, but will to do a clean to medium crunch no problem, and works with single coils/humbucker/p90 guitars all as well.

I've been using mine for gigs as either part of a two amps/two cabs rig or used it just to put it through the pa directly and its been great.  definitely the most valve like ss amp I've used and I have no qualms gigging it at all.

I use a orange CR120h or the 60 watt combo at rehearsals and they're good but the clean isn't a patch on the quilters.  plus its a bit fussy about pedals.

had a yamaha THR100H which was a great amp but wasn't loud enough in a live situation.

tried a katana and was quite impressed although it did sound a bit digital to me.

roland blues cube is a good shout.  

i used to use a peavey bandit in the 90's and it was ok, but too big and heavy for a ss amp imo.

if you can find one a roland bolt would be a good shout - they're hybrid amps but the cleans were great.    I also used to have an old Roland JC50 which I'm sure I sold to someone on this forum which was a decent amp and very cheap for what it was.

some of the older fender amps were solid state and perfectly giggable, i think i had a fender performer for a while.   Also I had a yamaha G212 which I gigged for most of the 90's before I knew what a valve amp was and it was a decent amp.

Those Yamahas are great. The last one I had needed new speakers - they're the one weak point, and both were blown - and I stuck in a pair of Jensen Mod 70s I had to hand. It sounded more or less exactly like a Fender Twin.

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    ICBM said:
    HAL9000 said:

Not sure if you're referring to the Katanas being Class D, but I have heard a Boss representative claim that they are proper Class AB. 
    I was sure I'd read it was Class D, but that may well be wrong.

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Solid state amps are great.  
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Sessionette - either the 75 or 90

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    robwright said:
    Sessionette - either the 75 or 90
    I had the later 1x12 Sessionette 75 with Mosfet for a couple of years.  It was 'OK' but the distortion wasn't great and it lacked warmth & feel.  My Marshall Valvestate 8080 1x12 is a way, way better amp. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)