My Neil Young revelation

What's Hot
BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
Well today I finally realised that Neil Young is not who I thought he was. All these years of reading his name on guitar forums I've always been a bit puzzled as I thought people were talking about Neil Diamond (my mum was a fan). It appears that these are actually two different people, so excuse me whilst I retreat to the dunce corner and find some Neil Young songs to work out who he is!! d'oh.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
8reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SimpleSimonSimpleSimon Frets: 1025
    Both great songwriters but yes very different indeed! I'm very partial to some Neil Young, especially his Bigsby fuelled warbling solos, but can also appreciate the sing-along-ability of Mr Diamond who has written a lot of hits you know but didn't realise were by him.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've gone a long long time without ever knowing anything that Neil Young did... still not sure about him though! I bought After The Gold Rush a year or so ago, not sure what to make of it!
    For some reason I'm pretty sure I've muddled up the two Neils before as well!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Well, in fairness, you never see them together...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    On the Beach and Tonight`s the Night are my favorite NY albums, not excessively cheerful mind.

Can also sing along happily to ND and You`ll be a woman soon is a classic albeit more than slightly dubious lyrically 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71950
    Nitefly said:
    Well, in fairness, you never see them together...
    They're both on stage at the same time in The Last Waltz.

To be fair, confusing them is an easy mistake to make - a lot of people seem to think they're both great songwriters who sound best when other people are singing their songs :).

(I'm a fan of both, by the way!)

Interestingly, only one of them has a signature guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4510
    Try to dig out Pardon My Heart from Zuma. If you listen closely you can hear the fire crackle in the background
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    If you don't know his work you're in for a treat. As a primer I'd prescribe:
    Cinnamon Girl (Everybody Knows This...)
    Country Girl (Deja Vu)
    Alabama (Harvest)
    Words (Harvest)
    When You Dance (Goldrush)
    Like A Hurricane (American Stars 'n Bars)

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    JezWynd said:
    If you don't know his work you're in for a treat. As a primer I'd prescribe:
    Cinnamon Girl (Everybody Knows This...)
    Country Girl (Deja Vu)
    Alabama (Harvest)
    Words (Harvest)
    When You Dance (Goldrush)
    Like A Hurricane (American Stars 'n Bars)

Cool, thanks, I'll have a listen to those at work tomorrow
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2215
    Both great songwriters but yes very different indeed! I'm very partial to some Neil Young, especially his Bigsby fuelled warbling solos, but can also appreciate the sing-along-ability of Mr Diamond who has written a lot of hits you know but didn't realise were by him.
    I'm a Believer. 
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    I just got the on the beach LP, love it.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I found the best gateway into Neil Young's stuff was the 'Live Rust' album, which at the time captured morer or less what he was about. That was pre-vocoders, synclaviers and rockabilly mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Weren't they both in Crowded House? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For a while I think I confused him with Paul Young as well. Turns out Neil Young didn't do "Everytime you go away"... :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    CSNY's 4 Way Street is one of the best live albums you can get.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I know Neil Young.  Small guy, plays an SG and wears a school uniform.

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

I know Neil Young.  Small guy, plays an SG and wears a school uniform.

Only messing.  I know who Neil young is.

This is him around the time of harvest:-

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dogload said:
    I found the best gateway into Neil Young's stuff was the 'Live Rust' album, which at the time captured morer or less what he was about. That was pre-vocoders, synclaviers and rockabilly mind. 

I new nothing about his music until I heard a housemate when I was a student play Live Rust; loved it instantly, a classic live album and a good way to get to now his more familiar tunes, acoustic and electric. I then went on to the studio albums.  
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Weld is a great disc to get IMO.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I grew up believing Neil Young was my uncle...

My names Chris Young and i believed my dad for a lot longer than i'm proud of..

Also check out hey hey my my on the weld/live rust albums :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Didn't we do a long thread on certain artists with a summary of the good/ok/bad/awful albums a while back, I'm sure Neil Young got a few posts in that.

Personally I got into him when the whole "god father of grunge" thing was about and he played "Rocking in the Free World" with Pearl Jam at some awards thing. So I got Ragged Glory and the Weld live album, then unplugged and Sleeps with Angels got good coverage over here. I then when back to plunder the vast back catalogue