My Neil Young revelation

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    When I was young I used to get confused between Elton John and John Lennon. I'm not sure what Elton in the Beatles would have been like. 

Anyway, I wish I'd started listening to Neil Young sooner. It was only a couple of years ago that I bought his greatest hits. It is one of the best best of albums i have.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sesh said:
    When I was young...
    You used to be Neil Young?!?!?!?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    As I mentioned in another thread, I think he is possibly the greatest living electric guitarist. I would second Live Rust as a good place to start. His recent albums are a bit more difficult to recommend. If you get a chance to see him live, do not hesitate. I have been to many of his tours and there has been some variability but his tour last year with Willie Nelson's sons was as good as it gets.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    As I mentioned in another thread, I think he is possibly the greatest living electric guitarist. I would second Live Rust as a good place to start. His recent albums are a bit more difficult to recommend. If you get a chance to see him live, do not hesitate. I have been to many of his tours and there has been some variability but his tour last year with Willie Nelson's sons was as good as it gets.
    No it wasn't...

The previous one with Crazy Horse was even better :).

Simply the best gig I have ever been to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    He has had a wide variety of material over the years and few people like absolutely everything he has done. If you use Spotify, check out the album "Decade" which was a ten-year retrospective and includes most of what you need to hear.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    He has had a wide variety of material over the years and few people like absolutely everything he has done. If you use Spotify, check out the album "Decade" which was a ten-year retrospective and includes most of what you need to hear.
    It's a good start, but it misses out on the whole second part of his career from the Rust era onwards, including the 90s 'godfather of grunge' period which is arguably at least as important. There's really no compilation which covers that unfortunately - I'd probably get Weld as an introduction.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    If Young is on Spotify, his tracks will be listed in order of popularity anyway.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Is he the bloke with the nice teeth who did 'Breaking Up is Hard to Do'?
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    That Crazy Horse show from a few years back was mind blowing. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2378
    Ragged Glory was my intro to Neil Young circa 1991....Neil in rockin' grunge mode.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Sesh said:
    When I was young...
    You used to be Neil Young?!?!?!?
    No, Kirsty.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    dogload said:
    I found the best gateway into Neil Young's stuff was the 'Live Rust' album, which at the time captured morer or less what he was about. That was pre-vocoders, synclaviers and rockabilly mind. 
    agreed, great album!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 198
    edited July 2017
    RUSTNEVERSLEEPS (work it out) nuff said. 3