Intuitive or Methodical, your playing style?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4982
i am usually an intuitive type of player, especially rhythm guitar and bass. I tend to practice intros and solos a bit more but revert to a looser intuitive style when playing rhythm. Bass is almost 100% intuitive but root based and beginners standard. But it works for country music. How do you see your playing style?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26581
    I'm in no way a natural or intuitive player - everything I do has to be explicitly learned. I'm absolutely no good at improvisation or coming up with stuff on the spot...
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited July 2017
    I do both. I'm methodical about getting the arrangement, motifs, and riffs right. Some of my fellow band members get lost if I don't play key parts note-for-note. After that I prefer to let things flow, because that's where the excitement comes from. I come from a jazz environment where the ethos is never play the same thing once.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    edited July 2017
    I'm very methodical and disciplined in how I practice, which enables me to be spontaneous and instinctive when I'm playing out.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Methodical when doing covers stuff/teaching. Make sure the rhythm and parts are 100% correct. Seen a lot of shoddy versions of riffs where the rhythm is out.

When doing originals stuff and songwriting I can sorta go outside the box a bit though my years studying at a music institute haven't done me harm in technical honing.
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 616
    When i practise i like to really work things out and find out why things work ..i work on the same things for while until i get them right ...when i play with a band all that goes out of the window and i dont really have anything pre planned apart from basic structure.. ..i like it like that because iff i played the same thing all the time i would get bored really quickly ....thats why a tribute type band would do my head in..
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    I have three approaches: 1. just play and see what happens, 2. work things out mathematically & by patterns, 3. go out and hum/sing the tune and try and remember if something sounds good.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    The "intuitive" players seem to play very similar stuff all their lives. Not saying it sounds bad, but it does sound very samey. 
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Intuitive when writing / jamming but Im the exact opposite once a song is there in that the rhythm, bass and bass drum parts need to be played exactly or it isnt the same song for me. The solos most people dont give a crap about so I tend to improvise with a few key phrases.

I write in a style where complimenting arrangements is pretty much mandatory though, having some dude just hacking his way through with different strumming patterns would sound like arse for the music I do.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ