Ultimate collection of scales and modes

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10647
edited April 2014 in Theory

I have built a compendium of all the 462 available 7-note scales on Excel; it's now hosted at GuitaristTV - you can refer to it online or download it to your PC and double-click on every scale to hear what it sounds like. Hope you find it useful!

http://www.guitaristtv.com/Downloads/Modes 2014_02_18 - for GTV.xlsx

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Very clever stuff viz.  Thanks and well done!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    Cool, does it work properly then? I'm glad!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    viz said:
    Cool, does it work properly then?
    Works for me.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Great, thank you :)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Works fine for me too.
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    Well done that man a valuable resource for sure. Thanks for sharing dude.
    Cheers chaps. It's a pleasure. Obviously some of the scales are less useful but even near the bottom there are some occasional good ones.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Cheers viz. Duly downloaded.

Hopefully I'll be able to use more than a minor pentatonic at a jam in the near future.......

:D

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    mike_l said:

Hopefully I'll be able to use more than a minor pentatonic at a jam in the near future.......

I'm assuming that you will have learned at least half of them.

Viz takes the time to plot them all, makes them all colourful and stuff, and stick the soundfiles there too, least you could do is learn them ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This man needs 1000 wisdoms.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TTony said:
    mike_l said:

I'm assuming that you will have learned at least half of them.

Viz takes the time to plot them all, makes them all colourful and stuff, and stick the soundfiles there too, least you could do is learn them ...

Learnt yep........

brave enough to use in public?..........that's the real question..........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Haha - hey try the heptatonic blues family first - the first 2 modes (the heptatonic minor and heptatonic major) are very good variations on their pentatonic cousins.

@viz Shall do.

I've been going over some old stuff* this weekend So shall start applying new stuff in the forth coming weeks........

*stuff I should have learnt properly years ago, but didn't..........ah hind sight is wonderful.........

• Great piece of art - for the Turner prize or Tate Modern?
    nicely done viz.

I am glad you found somewhere to host it.

Thanks for all the hard work, and your generosity in making it available to all,
    fantastic resource, cheers.
    :)

Cheers, I tell you what, after those hundreds if not thousands of snatched minutes here and there over the last 4 months doing all those bloody midi files, I'm glad to hear you guys appreciating it!
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    I will download this at home. Great Effort mate thanks!
    Cheers dude :)
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Really hand little 'dictionary' of scales, thanks mate!

Cheers :)
  • Wow! Now I feel bad only doing those in the top left corner...!!