George A Romero RIP

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
edited July 2017 in Tributes
Inventor of the modern zombie genre, director of the trilogy Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.
In a perfect world he'd reappear in a couple of weeks shambling down the street moaning and groaning.
RIP, he'll forever have a home in the hearts of the VHS horror generation.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited July 2017
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    Very sad.  His influence on cinema, and popular culture in general, cannot be overstated.  NOTLD was the first truly modern horror film.  Along with Night/Dawn/Day, also responsible for Martin, one of the first proper attempts to recast the vampire myth into a modern day setting.  

RIP George
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26929
    Give him about 3 days. He'll be back... ;)

By srsyl, very sad day for film fans. A hugely important movie maker
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 877
    Bugger
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22743
    edited July 2017
    He may not be particularly well known to the general public, but anyone who's watched a zombie movie in the last 40 (I should've said 50!  Forgetting my own age!) years has seen his influence whether they knew it or not.  And his own films always contained other elements, be it social/political comment or simply reflecting the times in which they were made, in interesting ways.

He wasn't always a maker of great films, but he was certainly one of the great filmmakers.  RIP.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Give him about 3 days. He'll be back... ;)

Fine work!  (George would have approved)

Like many other horror film fans or just film fans, GAR's films had a huge impact on my life.  NOTLD was one of the first horror films I watched that really got me interested in films, I still believe the ending of that particular film is one of the most poignant in American film history, resonant and relevant to the very day despite being made almost 50 years ago.  

To those who haven't seen it, it's available to see here
    https://archive.org/details/night_of_the_living_dead_dvd

Creepshow might have been the first horror film I ever saw aged 10 or so, when I watched it with my cousins.  It scared the shit out of me!  I saw it again and it seemed pretty hokey now! 

I agree with @DarnWeight that he pretty much invented the modern horror film, and for that and his contribution to the genre is unlike any other and his influence in the genre will be seen for many, many years.