Can an amateur drill neat, straight screw holes for tuners? Which affordable drill to buy?

What's Hot
Much like my thread about soldering gear, I'd like to get some opinions on drilling. I want to fit some gotoh tuners to a tokai neck, exactly as detailed on this page, but I have no experience doing anything like that and I don't want to make a mess of it. I have a few other guitars that could do with better tuners, that don't have standard mounting patterns so I could spend a lot to get a luthier to do it for me so I'm trying to save a few quid by learning to do it myself.

Can I (the amateur) drill straight, neat screw holes just through being careful, taking it slow and having a guide for the straight perpendicular holes?

If so, which affordable, readily available (amazon, argos, etc.) quality drill is worth buying?

I know maple is particularly hard, and am ready to be told "get someone else to do it" so don't hold back.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    it's not really the drill for that job it's using a straight edge correctly and taking your time. Any old drill used slowly and carefully will be fine. Marking out is the bit you need to take the real care over.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

To start the hole I use a small (around 1mm) drill bit, held in a small chuck - one with a hex shank that goes in a handle from a screwdriver set.

The chuck has a long (300mm) socket set extension on it, so you effectively have a silly-length screwdriver/drill bit.

It's clumsy but the extra length makes it easier to keep your hand in one place while turning the driver.

Or maybe look for a tapping stand - a more professional version of what I'm describing.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I've done similar before, bushings give a margin or error and as stated the guide hole is crucial, if you get that right the rest is easy enough.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    practice on scrap.  This will let you get used to the feel of the drill.  also, if you cant drill straight hioles in scrap you don't want to try it on a guitar neck just yet.   You can then use the best of your practice holes as a drill guide to make a final template  with 6 evenly spaced vertical holes.  make it at least 1/2" thick so it gives a good guide for the real job 

if you are still unsure you can add an extra step as extra precaution.  Use your new template to drill the e-string holes all the way through.  drill the rest halfway.  Then attach the template to the other side using the E string holes to align it and drill the rest through from the back.   This is actually how i do string through body holes

if none of that makes sense, keep drilling holes in scrap until it does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1014
    Are you talking about the holes for the tuners themselves, or the screws that hold the tuners in place?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    Oh if it's just the screw holes that's fairly safe.  Just use a straight edge to make sure all the tuners are in line and put a bit of masking tape around the drill bit as a depth guide.  
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    As an amateur builder from parts, I've done this successfully a few times, using a simple hand drill. Have the right diameter drill bit is one tip, also the masking tape depth guide, as already mentioned. And when putting in the little screws - it can be easy to damage the top of the screw, which looks ugly for one thing - my tip with that is a) have the right size/type of screwdriver for the head of the screw, and b) use a little soap on the shank of the screw, and it goes in much easier.

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Are you talking about the holes for the tuners themselves, or the screws that hold the tuners in place?
    Yep, that's all that needs doing. Seems like it's pretty easy. I might get my mate to bring a drill to band practice this week and get it done.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited July 2017
    Line the jokers up and mark through the screw holes with a sharp pointed bradawl (cheap as chips) the I drill a pilot hole to suit the screw, this is really improtant as the screws are generally made of cheese and its really easy to snap the wcrew head off, not good!
    I use a Dremel with a bit of tape round the drill bit as a depth guide...
    Personally I drill the biggest hole I can so that the screw JUST grips.....
    On a Fender type neck I use a metal rule masking taped to the head to lime up the tuners....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

1mm hol and fill with wax or soap. I use a jeweler's screwdiver as you can get as much leverage on them. If the screw doesn't go right in I remove it, re-fill with wax/soap and go again. It's slow, but you won't ruin any screws this way which are a huge pain to remove if the head shears off.
    Get a hand drill too.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    Even Fender got it wrong sometimes http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372016690455?

(see repair below 6th string tuner)

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Drilling straight is pretty easy if you make a guide, I used the Pillar Drill at my school to make a but of wood with different sized drill holes in it which I use as a guide whenever I drill into walls.