Favourite vocal performance

What's Hot

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1472

Bucket said:
    Wis for Layne Staley. One of my favourite singers ever.
    Yep, and another from me. Their MTV Unplugged is the best of the Grunge bands IMHO. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    To those who have disobeyed: One. I said post one of your favourite vocal performances. Not two, not three, one. Jesus christ!...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    edited July 2017
    Any version of this

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    edited July 2017
    And- scroll to 2.45 and listen to the biggest vocal range in history- the sublime Lisa B Fischer.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11291
    Hmmm.

It's still Little Richard, best rock & roll voice of all time.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12358
    Kurt Elling. The guy has an astonishing voice. The guitar work on this track is pretty nice too. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And if I could sing like anyone it'd be, by a country mile, this geezer...the magnificent Guy Clark...

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    John Martyn - with David Gilmour guesting - is on stunning form on this:

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    A bit of a cliché and I'm not really a fan of Journey, but surely Steve Perry is the benchmark for all vocalists?

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2017
    Anyway, moving away from near perfection, there was once a fella named Gram Parsons ...

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2408
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    Mary Margaret O'Hara - When You Know Why You're Happy (from her Miss America LP)

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2549
    bigjon said:
    Aretha Franklin knocking 'em dead

Wow. I nearly cried at that clip! I love Aretha on this. 

She's incredible.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    This has always brought a tear to my eye...very moving:

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited July 2017
    Seeing as Eddie, Kurt and Chris have been mentioned I'll throw in Layne Stanley- to my mind the most underrated of that quartet. Jerry Cantrell on backing vocals is brilliant in his own right and the harmonies are beautiful. My favourite of the Unplugged series:

Another more recent one is this: Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes Beautiful Death.
    I've always liked Franks voice, but the way he goes from 1-100 in the space of a breath (at the 44second mark on this track) is phenomenal.

2 great choices there! I agree about him being the most underrated, with Eddie being the most overrated! I can't hear his voice without hearing the singer from Creed.

I wish Frank Carter would go back to that style of vocals, Modern Ruin isn't nearly as good as Blossom imo. At his best when he's loud and angry. Brilliant front man as well.
  • TTBZ said:

I wish Frank Carter would go back to that style of vocals, Modern Ruin isn't nearly as good as Blossom imo. At his best when he's loud and angry. Brilliant front man as well.
    He is a great frontman isn't he? The first time I saw Gallows I was gobsmacked by the aggression Frank was putting out. He appeared to be one step from jumping into the crowd and fighting us all at once. Grey Britain is my favourite album of the past 15years.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    edited July 2017
    I never had the pleasure of seeing Gallows live but I've seen the Rattlesnakes a couple times - was in the photo pit at 2000 Trees which was awesome !
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I had to think long and hard about this one. The singer was never in any doubt, but in the end I chose Pink Orange Red by Cocteau Twins.

The song very nearly didn't get released. It was recorded amongst a number of songs purely as a test for their (then) newly-built studio, but  were subsequently released as the Echoes In A Shallow Bay and Tiny Dynamine EPs.

The Cocteaus' singer, Elizabeth Fraser, is, in my opinion, a world apart from other singers. I've not heard anything to compare, and the first time I heard their Treasure LP was one of the most profound experiences of my life.

For many, it would seem that being able to "belt it out" equates with emotion, but Liz has the ability to make my feel such joy and heartache whilst, for the most part, singing in invented languages. Although nobody but Liz knows for sure, it is thought that the words to Pink Orange Red may consist of taxonomic names for moths and butterflies! I have no idea whether this is true or not, but I suspect that she could sing the phone book to me and I'd still be a gibbering wreck. Her voice is quite simply my favourite sound in the universe.

As I said before, I had to think long and hard about which song to choose, but in the end my decision was based on how her voice made me feel, not on whether it showed her widest vocal range or how loudly she's singing. That said, the fluidity she shows with the meter and timing at the outro is outstanding, IMHO.

Anyway, here it is. It certainly won't be to most people's taste, but she's utterly unique and I love her to bits!

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....