Source of affordable Classic 57's / Similar

What's Hot
I'm trying to stave off buying a LP Custom, so one way around this is to replace the pickups and harness in my Les Paul with something less aggressive than the Lace Sensors I currently have. From the taste-tests I've done so far, the Classic 57's are the best out of the Gibson bunch, though I've yet to hear convincing demos of the BKP Mule, SD Antiquity, etc. and happy to be re-educated.

The issue is that Classic 57's are £210 for the pair, at which rate I might as well just buy myself an LP Trad/Classic and be done with it!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Secondhand, you can find them for sub £100.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    I sold my classic 57's for £80, the do pop up now and again 
  • LaCathedrale_UKLaCathedrale_UK Frets: 105
    edited July 2017
    wrong window! But that's interesting, thank you!
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9611
    edited July 2017
    Buy a used Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus for £300 or so, take out the Classic '57s and sell it on with "upgraded Lace Sensor pickups"!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a good shout :D 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader

I have had REALLY good experience with Vanson pickups...  I have only used their humbucker sized P90s at the moment and I really really like them... I have demos up with them if you want to hear... 

I know most people will look at them and think they are too cheap, how can they be any good.. But really... give them a go...

I have a set of these in gold for my next project..... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xvanson+57.TRS0&_nkw=vanson+57&_sacat=0

• There's a chappie on youtube who uses Vanson equipment and I haven't yet tried  - but given the spectacular results from Oil City I'm under no doubt that we could get some good stuff for an affordable price. I just don't know if I wouldn't have this nagging feeling if I put £13 pickups into a £1500 guitar!
    There's a chappie on youtube who uses Vanson equipment and I haven't yet tried  - but given the spectacular results from Oil City I'm under no doubt that we could get some good stuff for an affordable price. I just don't know if I wouldn't have this nagging feeling if I put £13 pickups into a £1500 guitar!

I do understand that..   I just thought id throw it out there.

Axesrus make some nice stuff too.. Ive used a fair few of their pickups and always been happy with the results.

http://www.axesrus.co.uk/Humbuckers-s/1848.htm

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I don't think the Classic 57's are the best option in an LP, they sound great, but are a little bit too middy. It's fine for mid gain and cleans, but high gain tones are a bit mushy. 

They sound great in hollow bodies but I would put some burstbuckers in an LP. 
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    There's a chappie on youtube who uses Vanson equipment and I haven't yet tried  - but given the spectacular results from Oil City I'm under no doubt that we could get some good stuff for an affordable price. I just don't know if I wouldn't have this nagging feeling if I put £13 pickups into a £1500 guitar!
    Wow there, that's a bit of a hasty conclusion to make.
    Vanson pickups are rebranded asian mass manufactured stuff. 
    Oil city are boutique made in the UK pickups.
    They're really not in the same ballpark as far as design and attention to detail go.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 198
    edited July 2017
    I've got a pair of Vanson humbuckers in my cheapy Hondo Revival 335 copy.  I went for the Alnico II version, then swapped the neck magnet for an Alnico V that I had sitting around to brighten it up a little (though it would be fine as is if you like a mellower neck pickup). 
    The covered version will have brass covers which invariably kill the high end.  I bought the uncovered version then put some nickel silver covers from Axes r Us on them.  This was a pain in the bum to do, as the lead wires on the bridge pickup were attached in a way that made a bulge on the end that stopped the cover from fitting.  I had to unwrap the tape around the coil and re-solder the lead so that it made less of a bump.  I also swapped the brass baseplates for nickel silver while I was at it - I'm not sure if it made any significant difference to the sound but some people swear that it does and baseplates aren't expensive.  With the hassle of sorting out the covers, I'd probably go for something different if I was to do it again. 
    They do sound fine, much what you would expect from a low-ish wind PAF style humbucker, but if you can find a used set of Classic 57s for less than £100, or some reasonably priced pickups from a smaller maker that would seem like the way to go, particularly if you want them covered.   
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    As said 2nd hand is your friend here if thats the tone you are chasing.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    I fit Tonerider Alnico IV Classics.  To be honest, having spent a lot of money over the years on all sorts, I wouldn't normally fit anything else.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7028
    tFB Trader
    I fit Tonerider Alnico IV Classics.  To be honest, having spent a lot of money over the years on all sorts, I wouldn't normally fit anything else.
    I agree with Andy. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2400
    Vanson 57s should not be taken lightly, yes they're Asian mass market stuff but what does that matter if they produce the tones one is looking for, I get so bored by the snobbery when it comes to pickups, listening is believing :) 
    I sold my Classic/Classic + set in favour of the vanson set as the difference was negligible, certainly there is not £200 difference between the two. 
  • Sarge said:
    Vanson 57s should not be taken lightly, yes they're Asian mass market stuff but what does that matter if they produce the tones one is looking for, I get so bored by the snobbery when it comes to pickups, listening is believing :) 
    I sold my Classic/Classic + set in favour of the vanson set as the difference was negligible, certainly there is not £200 difference between the two. 
    I agree completely, and not disagreeing - just that it's a hard pill too swallow. We do get caught up in 'vintage' this and 'official' that :)
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    edited July 2017
    Well, I've just fitted a pair of Vanson humbuckers to a Fender USA bitsa Strat I've got - and Alnico2 neck unit and Alnico5 bridge unit (PAF-alikes).

Ignoring the price completely, these are SERIOUSLY FUCKING GOOD. Genuinely, bloody brilliant at any price. I've bought US boutique stuff that wasn't this good.

These aren't going to be coming out any time soon!!!
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

impmann said:
    Well, I've just fitted a pair of Vanson humbuckers to a Fender USA bitsa Strat I've got - and Alnico2 neck unit and Alnico5 bridge unit (PAF-alikes).

Ignoring the price completely, these are SERIOUSLY FUCKING GOOD. Genuinely, bloody brilliant at any price. I've bought US boutique stuff that wasn't this good.

These aren't going to be coming out any time soon!!!

Thank you... (and Sarge)

I have such trouble trying to convince people how good Vanson pickups are...  Like really seriously....

From what I know..  The guys that run both Vanson and Wilkinson both trained under Seth Lover..  So regardless of if they actually make them or have them made in asia, they know what they are doing id say. In saying that I haven't tried Wilkinson pickups, but that's because im so happy with the Vanson ones I don't feel the need to try them 

Ok heres a good example...  The last guitar I sold had Vanson humbucker sized P90s...  The guy that bought it came along once.. Tried it..   Walked off then came back again an hour later... He said he couldn't get the sound out of his head..  He tried it again and said wow, it just sounds and feels so right and bought the guitar...  it was only after he walked off I realised he never even asked me what pickups they were..  He just loved how it sounded and had to buy it 

That's how good they are.