John Pearse rest advice - Martin M36

What's Hot
david.j.barriedavid.j.barrie Frets: 0
edited July 2017 in Acoustics

Very proud owner of an M36 (2015) looking to pop a John Pearse arm rest on, having read some positive things about them and noticing a bit of clouding to the finish where my arm rests on the guitar. 

I've gone and printed off the templates to see which fits best with the curve of the guitar, but I can't figure it out somehow.
The M36 is a bit of a hybrid with 000-style shoulders but a jumbo lower bout. 
It also has a mixture of an ebony fingerboard and rosewood bridge, so choosing a 'matching' wood is tricky!

I like the neatness of the slimline rests, but I'm concerned that their curve will be too tight to fit.

Any advice would be very welcome!

-

Here it is (with a rather gratuitous additional shot of the three-piece back...)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    edited July 2017
    No idea about the arm rest (I think they're a bit country looking) but occasional polishing would remove any clouding. I've used Meguires but am sure others could recommend different products. Finish is thicker than you think, you could polish modern finishes for a couple hundred years before you start thinning it.
  • Congratulations on a fine guitar.I love mine.I think the armrest I tried on mine the ebony slimline one although I didn't use it,you just need to jiggle it about a bit.To remove any residual you could try Natha (lighter fuel).
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938

I polish my D28 with Gibson pump polish, yes clouding builds up on the top bout from forearm but soon wipes away with the Gibson polish. I don't like the look of arm rests

• I've got some Virtuoso cleaner & polish, so looking after the finish is no problem.

Clearly the rests aren't going to be everyone's cuppa. I am rather intrigued; in my mind it would make a difference to both comfort as well as tone. Perhaps I need to find a guitar with one installed and have a play before committing to the idea.

• I've got some Virtuoso cleaner & polish, so looking after the finish is no problem.

Clearly the rests aren't going to be everyone's cuppa. I am rather intrigued; in my mind it would make a difference to both comfort as well as tone. Perhaps I need to find a guitar with one installed and have a play before committing to the idea.
    Agree on the virtuoso not cheap but good stuff.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 766
    Alternatively, you could try a forearm/elbow sleeve as used by classical guitarists.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Martin used to recommend a moist, soapy cloth to remove gunk - then use Martin polish.

My 25 year old D28 has suffered no damage using this method.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You need one of these nice leather covers:
    Image result for leather guitar cover

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927

I polish my D28 with Gibson pump polish, yes clouding builds up on the top bout from forearm but soon wipes away with the Gibson polish. I don't like the look of arm rests

Same here. I use the Gibson stuff that comes in the 3-bottle kit below. Not the same as "pump polish", I assume, but good polish.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires