The best deal/steals you got on a guitar?

What's Hot
adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
Just over a year ago I picked up bargain on eBay for someone selling what I thought was a 2016 les Paul studio faded series. Listed at £550.

it said it came with a hardcase so I was intrigued after a bit of closer inspection it turns out it was a les Paul studio t which was selling for £1100 at the time and the guitar arrived like new. Bargain I was well pleased. 
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    Not a guitar but I picked up a Ampeg GVT15H amp head on ebay for £75.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    A free Andy Timmons signed JHS @ pedal directly from the man himself.... does that count?
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4695
    65 Princeton RI - £600 brand new.  Sold for the same when I got bored with it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3322
    1962 jtm45 stack for £100 a few years ago? I think that was my best deal. 
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Don't think I've ever got a super low deal but someone got an Egnater Tweaker 15 off of me via eBay for £80!  Needless to say I was gutted to be selling it for that much.  Should of said my 3 year old listed it in error...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Essentially brand new MIM Strat for £190ish last year. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3443
    I got an Epi LP standard for 100 quid, I dont  really buy much gear.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    Got a Gibson SG for £250 about 12 years ago. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12896
    Thanks to those Thomann vouchers I got a Harley Benton 50s P-Bass for the pricely sum of £11.50 delivered brand new all the way from Germany a few years ago. The D'addario strings it came with retail at about £17...

Its not the worlds greatest instrument but straight out the box it was as good as any sub £250 bass I've ever played. Its my backup instrument so I only ever intend to use it if my #1 bass dies at an important moment. So for that purpose its absolutely ideal. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Back in '69 I was hanging with Jimi who was stuck for some smokes.

"Hey, Jimi. How about I trade you this pack of 20 Rothmans for that beat up Strat you got there?"

"Sure", said Jimi as he handed the guitar over while pulling on one of the (now ignited) Rothmans.

Nice Strat, I thought, but might need a little TLC...

...and then I woke up.

• ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Paid £90 for a Hiwatt dr103 head completely original a few years ago. Sold it on ebay for £650 after a couple of years. Wish I'd kept it though.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26566
    If we're including pedals, it'd be the Bogner Ecstasy Red pedal (signed by Mr Bogner himself) that I won on Guitar Guitar's Facebook page. Like an idiot, I sold it...and I'm currently on my third, because I finally figured out how to use it properly and it's the centrepiece of my rig.

However, since we're in the Guitar section...it'd have to be my matte green Washburn N4, bought on eBay for the princely sum of £650 just over 9 years ago. Probably the best £650 I've ever spent.
    <space for hire>
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2608
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader

I got a LP DC Special for £400....

Was on Ebay and had been modded.... I was looking for a cheapish lighter Gibson than my Classic (I only had one guitar at the time)...

Looked like this when I bought it..

http://i.imgur.com/NEx31Ag.jpg

The electrics had been fiddled with too

http://i.imgur.com/ncAX0lE.jpg

So I decided to get it back to what it should look like myself  (my first real guitar project)

This was during the process

http://i.imgur.com/SGQV9xL.jpg

And heres a before, a stock pic and then my finished guitar

http://i.imgur.com/9VcOYC8.jpg

So ive had this for like 6 or 7 years now and its one of the most fun and playable guitars I own (and those P90s effin rock)... I rubbed the neck down and finished it off in like a satin too... And the necks on these guitars is one of my favourite profiles ever.

http://i.imgur.com/YhxQzOF.jpg

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I bought my first bass, a '74 Fender Precision, for £135 in 1984 or 1985.

My Rickenbacker 4001 cost me £299 in 1990. I got that from the Drum and Guitar Centre in Cambridge. I pretty much ran out of the shop with it once I'd paid, in case they changed their mind. The 4001 was built in November 1973.

The most recent one would be the '65 Fender Electric XII that I got for £875 a few years ago. Thank you, London rioters, for distracting everybody while the bidding finished.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    1980 Ibanez PS10 Paul Stanley. Bought it from a neighbour for £150, sold it a few years later for £1100.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I picked up a 1987 FujiGen RG550 with a practice amp for £125, sold on the amp for 25 quid or so, so an RG550 for £100.

My LP Trad I won from an eBay auction for £700, it had a fine tuning bridge on it, which I sold for £50, so a LP Trad for £650.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Picked up a PRS SE Soapbar for £160 about eight or nine years ago, when they were still going for £500 new. It was a very, very nice guitar. It was exactly like this:

http://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/product/normal/prs-se-soapbar-vintage-cherry-60135.jpeg

Ironically, it was probably nicer to play than the majority of USA models I've had time with.

Sold it for about £230 a couple of years down the line.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I also traded my decent, slightly cheap and fake-looking Vintage SG Jr. copy for this:

http://i.imgur.com/XT8mLcF.png

Plus about £200, I think. Bloody good deal - this thing looks and feels like a real, old guitar.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I think I posted this in another thread recently but it's all been this year.

Brand new:
    LTD EC 401 Grey Satin - £775 - £550
    Ibanez Iron Label RGIR20E - £699 - £450
    Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E - £749 - £499

Used:
    Blackstar Series One 200 Head - £499
    Peavey Solo Series Special 120w - £60

As far as I can remember those are the best deals I've ever been able to have with guitars and amps.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Alnico said:
    I think I posted this in another thread recently but it's all been this year.

Brand new:
    LTD EC 401 Grey Satin - £775 - £550
    Ibanez Iron Label RGIR20E - £699 - £450
    Ibanez Iron Label RGIR27E - £749 - £499

Used:
    Blackstar Series One 200 Head - £499
    Peavey Solo Series Special 120w - £60

As far as I can remember those are the best deals I've ever been able to have with guitars and amps.
    Rubbish...

That Tele was the best deal ;)