The best deal/steals you got on a guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    mike_l said:
    And another for @Alnico ;

1986 Charvel Model 4, all original, picked up for £100 + a bunch of unused pedals....
    I remember playing that one too, the day you got it you came here on your way home.
    An original Kahler tremolo there!

It's a lovely guitar and that WAS an absolute bargain............but it's not as Wow as the Red Jackson.
    Not to me anyway.
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Guitar wise, I did get my Gibson Les Paul Standard +  in a straight swap  for a watch that stood me in £140. 

My Classic '60's Strat brand new for £429 was also a deal.

The only other deal I got was a Peavey Bravo valve amp at a boot sale for a tenner. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    My SG. It's had a neck break, but is well repaired and is a fantastically resonant thing. Cost £380, and I sold the case for £85, and bought a Hiscox for £60. I then upgraded the pickups and every bit of hardware for a net cost of about £40 after selling the old bits. I'm not using it loads right now, but it's such a perfect gigging guitar I'll never sell it. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1391
    I tried out a used Egnater Rebel head in a well known guitar shop. It was priced about £100 less than a new one.
    When I said I would take it, the young assistant disappeared and came back with a brand new, boxed item and duly rang it through the till at the s/h price.

I couldn't get out the door quick enough.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    edited July 2017
    A Japanese Joodee P Bass copy from the 70's - a boot sale bargain at the princely sum of £8.  When times were tough I had to ebay it and it sold for £350!  o

Don't get many of those kinds of bargains!

But in a different way, my Burny 80's LP was (I think) £525 on ebay with 50's wiring, bumblebee caps and pair of OX4 pickups - so a good £250+ worth of upgrades on it.  I bought it untried, and a friend picked it up for me.

That guitar is absolutely irreplaceable.  It just feels right and couldn't imagine any other guitar at any price usurping it.  So whilst the price may not sound like a mega-bargain, I think it's the best value for money I've had out of a guitar.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I recently won a vintage 60s Kay Parlour Acoustic from the 60s on ebay for 49p, there should have been delivery on top but as the seller lived less than a mile from my house that wasn't needed either. The dude was chuffed when I messaged to say actually I didn't need it as I'd got something else in the meantime, so we exchange 50p pieces and he relisted it. Happy ending.

Most of my cheaper stuff has come from Cash Generator in Birmingham city centre, not so much on the actual guitar front but I've scored the following from there:
    Boss DD7 = £25
    Boss GT100 = £130
    Marshall JMP1 preamp = £140
    TC Hall of Fame (not the mini) = £30
    I think I also pointed Ian Savage of this parish towards a Made in the UK Hayden HGTA 20 amp head for a whacking £80 which I recall he was rather chuffed with.

Also recently got a Digitech GSP 1101 rack multi fx for about £130 on Amazon Warehouse, which is about £70 less than they seem to go for used on ebay...
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12643
    edited July 2017
    My AC30s... one cost £175 from a shop (1964) and the other cost £25 from a rehearsal rooms near Fenchurch Street Station. Both bought in the early 90s... sadly both long gone.

My black 1972 Tele. When it arrived from New York it was all original bar a DiMarzio Dual Sound in the neck postion, a black pickguard and a mini toggle switch between the pickups - yes, it was (still is) battered but it cost me £175 *landed*. Still got that...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I recently won a vintage 60s Kay Parlour Acoustic from the 60s on ebay for 49p, there should have been delivery on top but as the seller lived less than a mile from my house that wasn't needed either. The dude was chuffed when I messaged to say actually I didn't need it as I'd got something else in the meantime, so we exchange 50p pieces and he relisted it. Happy ending.

Most of my cheaper stuff has come from Cash Generator in Birmingham city centre, not so much on the actual guitar front but I've scored the following from there:
    Boss DD7 = £25
    Boss GT100 = £130
    Marshall JMP1 preamp = £140
    TC Hall of Fame (not the mini) = £30
    I think I also pointed Ian Savage of this parish towards a Made in the UK Hayden HGTA 20 amp head for a whacking £80 which I recall he was rather chuffed with.

Also recently got a Digitech GSP 1101 rack multi fx for about £130 on Amazon Warehouse, which is about £70 less than they seem to go for used on ebay...
    WOW !

A GT100 for £130?

That's my main effects unit.
    That really is an absolute steal given what that unit has to offer.
    Really well done.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3008
    edited July 2017
    I've had my fair share of bargains over the years. I really like the Westone Thunder Jet I picked up for £39.  It was not a massive bargain as they usually sell for about £100 anyway, but there is something very satisfying about buying a guitar that more than pays for itself with one gig.

The Vintage telecaster I got for £40 easily falls into that category too.

• steersteer Frets: 1159
    Fender Telecaster for £180. OK it is Mexican, but still great guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Recording King RO-26 (all-solid 000 acoustic) for £250 brand new, including free setup a few weeks later. Mis-labeled by Wunjo's, thinking it was the laminated one lower down the range ;)
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 27
    Just pedals really. Got a ZVEX Tremorama for £160 new a while back thanks to a mate in a music shop which is when it really dawned on me what the markup is on some of that boutique nonsense, and my limited edition hand-painted Fuzz Factory was only £120 due to me being in the right place at the right time as one of the customers who'd preordered theirs returned it with a couple of tiny chips in the finish. I still have that fella 10 years later.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3889
    edited July 2017
    Gibson R7 Goldtop dark back VOS - £1,500
    Hofner Verythin, 62/63 I think - £50
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Alnico said:
    WOW !

A GT100 for £130?

That's my main effects unit.
    That really is an absolute steal given what that unit has to offer.
    Really well done.
    Yes it was quite good, included a soft bag, power supply, and a manual that seemed to have been used a few times when the previous owner got a bit hungry. Needed a good clean but otherwise was all good. Having said that I traded it for an acoustic recently (Taylor Big Baby) as it was a bit big and I had other units. It has led to me future budgeting for a Multi Overtone pedal though as that sounded wonderful on the v2 update
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    I got a Lite Ash Tele for £250 a few years ago - sold for £480 last month
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3297
    I got a Lite Ash Tele for £250 a few years ago - sold for £480 last month

The MIK one? I still see them for £250 a few times a year
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
    Epiphone SG. Made in Korea in 2000. Got this at a car boot sale for £10. Needed a new bridge, strings, a couple of knobs and a good clean!

Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    swirled Ibanez Universe for £500, and a Boss DS1 for £5 (latter has actually become the pedal I've used most).
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    A Zvex Fat Fuzz Factory for £75 in a gear4music Black Friday sale a couple of years ago.

Not only a massive bargain apropos its normal retail price, but a Crime Of The Century-level bargainous steal on the Bang For Buck scale.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4663
    2 Fenders, a rareish blackout tele in Atlantic blue and a Lite Ash Strat for £320 for the pair, they were both manky and covered in dust and other unknown things but just needed a good clean and restring