BBC salaries published. Oh dear...

What's Hot
EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
1) Gary Lineker and Chris Evans are the best paid presenters. Liniker's salary is ridiculous. People don't watch match of the day for Lineker, but for football. If those two are "top talent" their is a serious problem.

2) Gender pay gap, for such a PC organisation, is utterly ridiculous. 

I get why serious journalists and presenters are well paid. But 1.7 million for Gary Lineker. That's like 4 Gabby Logans and looks like a cost cut I'd happily make. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1747
    There's no reason for salaries that high - but it is showbiz after all. Top dogs will get paid, same goes for movies, pop music and other branches. 
    I don't think that revealing those will do anyone any good, as the money earned by them is unlikely to change  (unless it'll be even more) and people will just get upset. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    There's no reason for salaries that high - but it is showbiz after all. Top dogs will get paid, same goes for movies, pop music and other branches. 
    I don't think that revealing those will do anyone any good, as the money earned by them is unlikely to change  (unless it'll be even more) and people will just get upset. 

Lineker and Shearer aren't entertainers. They are just sports pundits .. sacking them would save over £3 million which may get better writers for Doctor Who.

And God knows why Hugh Edwards gets over £500K for reading an autocue.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Fretwired said:

.. sacking them would save over £3 million which may get better writers for Doctor Who.
    Doctor Who makes a vast profit as it is; why cut into that, when crappy writing is fine for sales?
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4126
    edited July 2017
    I don't see what sense the salaries make on their own, other than to fuel indignance....in a league table that includes the viewing figures they get, that would be more useful. Then all the analysis of diversity would have some context.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    What always makes me smile is the mediocre soap actors getting £300K - £400K, that's company CEO territory. No wonder for the likes of Adam Woodthingy it's basically a job for life.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    Steve Wright gets £15 a show, and he's still overpaid.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6807
    Fretwired said: 

Lineker and Shearer aren't entertainers. They are just sports pundits .. sacking them would save over £3 million which may get better writers for Doctor Who.

Oh dear. Because you suddenly know how much they are paid, you think that equally suddenly you are an expert on  how much they're worth...

I think the BBC is a complete waste of money. But how many more people are we going to hear suddenly mouthing off as if they are experts on how to run a TV service?
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12645
    Its very simple to look at things in terms of 'cost' but thing is, these individuals are a draw - therefore their name adds value to a programme, whether or not you personally like that individual. Plus, as has been said (quite quietly, it has to be said) a lot of these numbers are a *lot* lower than commercial stations are paying, plus the individuals concerned (if they are clever) buy into the production company and thus make money out of re-runs ad infinitum. There's a reason James May smiles a lot more than he used to, for example...

Diversity? Hmm, yes you can make of those figures what you like. And yes there is a pay gap - just like there is pay gap elsewhere. Is it deliberate? Maybe - but all that publishing these is going to do is make the BBC *more* expensive....

Y'see, if I were looking to poach good, top people from the BBC to build by commercial TV channel, all I'd need do is look up their salary and offer more to their agent. The BBC can't afford a talent drain, but equally they can't afford to spend more money. Those from background "x" are going to make a song and dance about being paid less because of their sex/ethinic background/number of limbs and its just going to cause salaries to rise. As Lord Grade has said, these high sums won't come down, its just everything else will go up.

Its the daftest thing I've ever seen - and frankly, its a little invasive. Would you like to have your salary made public? You may think its fine but think about the effect it may have on your working relationships with others in your company - or elsewhere. Money can be highly emotive, and can cause resentment. See some of the above postings about resenting paying person 'x' this when you could spend 'y' on 'z'. It can get quite nasty, without you even meaning it to.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Bill's just found out he's getting less than Ben.

That won't end well.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2017
    Chalky said:
    Fretwired said: 

Oh dear. Because you suddenly know how much they are paid, you think that equally suddenly you are an expert on  how much they're worth...

I think the BBC is a complete waste of money. But how many more people are we going to hear suddenly mouthing off as if they are experts on how to run a TV service?
    I know that the guy who left the One Show to front ITV's football got paid a lot less. I'm sorry but £1.8 million for Lineker is just bad value for money for a highlights show. All he does is introduce the games and ask a few questions of the pundits. You justify to me why he's worth that amount of money.

I get why Chris Evans is worth it .. he added millions of viewers to the radio.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6256
    edited July 2017
    There is a reason: its what they have negotiated. What a presenter is worth is difficult to quantify. I actually don't care at all.
    Its yet another reason for people to get outraged, probably cos they have nothing better to do
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Something that I find hard to stomach, is that some of these journalists have been representing or even driving the politics of envy against other industries - whilst earning similar salaries for doing less.

Hypocrisy

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    Thing is, it's easy to point at diversity issues and say the women are paid less than the men but each contract is surely individually negotiated by agents and/ or the talent themselves? Plus unless you can compare direct like-for-like - i.e. presenters with exactly the same amount of airtime on programmes that generate the exact same level of revenue with the exact same level of viewing figures etc - there's always a danger of comparing apples and oranges.
    I'm not saying there aren't gender pay issues here, all I am saying is you can't draw that conclusion based purely on the fact that Man A gets £xxxxxx and Woman A gets £yyyyyy.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23941
    I imagine Lineker is worth it because commerical offers from other places were similar.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Oh - and £500k for Steve Wright? FFS!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Fretwired said:
    Chalky said:
    Fretwired said: 

I know that the guy who left the One Show to front ITV's football got paid a lot less. I'm sorry but £1.8 million for Lineker is just bad value for money for a highlights show. All he does is introduce the games and ask a few questions of the pundits. You justify to me why he's worth that amount of money.

I get why Chris Evans is worth it .. he added millions of viewers to the radio.

OOOOOOOH.... you were so close to a Wis.... then you said that stuff about Chris Evans!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    peteri said:

Something that I find hard to stomach, is that some of these journalists have been representing or even driving the politics of envy against other industries - whilst earning similar salaries for doing less.

Hypocrisy

Who and how exactly?
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    Evilmags said:

2) Gender pay gap, for such a PC organisation, is utterly ridiculous. 

What is ridiculous is when you have the like of the Daily Telegraph and Mail having a bit of BBC bashing on the front page and basing it around gender equality. Both newspapers have been around for a combined 250 years. In all that time, neither of them have had a female editor. Outside of the Graun, female editors are rather lacking.  

• RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    Also, are these purely individuals' wages or overall costs including what, for example, Chris Evans' production company then has to spend on making the actual programmes? That has been a definite red herring before in discussions of BBc wages (and also MP expenses)

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    scrumhalf said:
    Bill's just found out he's getting less than Ben.

That won't end well.
    Lol, I'm stealing that!