Cleaning chrome and other questions.

Hi all,
I've wanted a vintage looking P bass for quite some time but knowing I'll never have the money, I've elected to 'vintage' my P bass copy. It was bought cheap and I know I will most likely end up spending more on it than its worth but at the end of the day I enjoy it and I earnt the money so who cares? =) Although cleanish, the tuners have an odd gunge upon them in the nooks which was on them when I got it. Does anyone know of a good cleaner to get it off which wont bu--er the chrome?

Also I know its been asked a thousand times but I'd like to refinish the body in a better colour than black. I have access to carbody paint and a spraygun so could I just key up the body and respray over the black or will it just chip off even with a few coats of clear varnish? Moreover would I just be able to unbolt the neck without fear of damaging the truss rod or do I need to do anything like loosen it off first? I dont know if the truss rod is potentially broken or screwed down tight in the neck as I've never checked in all honestly....will this affect neck removal for painting?

Thanks in advance for your help ladies and gents in advance,
Lloyd
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    edited July 2017
    The neck can just be removed.  You may want to loosen the truss rod till you reassemble, but it will probably be fine if you don't.  You certainly won't bugger it up by taking the neck off, it's just prolonged changes in tension that can sometimes affect a neck

you should be able to key the paint and spray over.  No guarantees with paint.  Test under the plate if you are unsure.

chrome should clean easily with a damp microfibre cloth.  Avoid anything really abrasive, but it's still the hardest plating you get on guitar parts.  If it was nickel, black or gold we would be telling you to not even breath on it
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    On chrome ( although I've never tried it on guitar parts) you can use kitchen foil. Seems to help if it's dampened ( some people use vinegar or coke but water seems fine or even just dry) and then rubbed on. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9618
    Yes that's a great trick to clean up chrome parts on a bike, like mudguards on a kid's bike. Very impressive but I have no idea how or why it works so well!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    We had a chrome light fitting that looked crap and it cleaned it up a treat, can't fill in deep pitting but it certainly brightened it up. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LaGartonLaGarton Frets: 3
    Cheers for the advice guys I will try the foil trick when the guitar is apart. 

After inspecting my bass i forgot about the chips/dings in the finish from the previous owner. Could i sand the finish, prime it and put filler on the primer before respraying or should i strip it right back? I dont mind too much as I like the character it has but i would love a seafoam green p bass which looks worn .

Lloyd