Anyone tried D'Addario NYXL strings ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
I usually use EXL120+'s (9.5 - 44) but I'm being pushed by ads towards these NYXL things.  They're twice the price of the regular strings though - £12.50 a pack.  Just wondering if anyone uses them and what their thoughts are..
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Yes I have done.
    They're very good and I'd still be using them if I hadn't recently been given a stack of normal D'addario XL110's.

Here's what they say about them.....

"D’Addario NYXL guitar strings will bend farther, sing louder, and stay in tune better than any string you’ve played before. Envisioned, perfected, and manufactured by D’Addario in New York, this newly engineered, break-resistant, high-carbon steel core and plain steel alloy delivers a whole new level of freedom, confidence, and power. NYXL’s provide more strength and 131% greater tuning stability by utilizing a completely reinvented wire drawing process coupled with a revolutionary “fusion twist” process for the plain steels. The reformulated nickel plated string windings have greater magnetic properties resulting in higher output and enhanced mid-range frequency response for more presence and crunch.NYXL's feature D’Addario’s exclusive New York manufactured, high carbon steel alloy for unprecedented strength – play fearlessly Improved tuning stability compared to traditional nickel wound strings - get in tune faster, stay in tune better.
    Wound strings with enhanced mid-range frequency response in the 1 - 3.5 kHz range – more presence and crunch to cut through the mix.
    NYXL0942 are designed with super light gauges for maximum flexibility: Plain Steel .010, .013, .017, Nickel Wound .026, .036, .046
    Environmentally friendly, corrosion resistant packaging for strings that are always fresh"

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    They are different to normal strings but not £7 of difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    Might of been in my head but I found them harder to bend than normal strings.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They supposedly last longer.  I've got them on my Electromatic at the moment but they're new so can't testify.  They seem nice, but XLs are also nice.  I don't think anyone listening would know or care.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Loads of posts on here if you do a search and this was the latest one - The Marmite of Strings!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/98157/

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26457
    edited July 2017
    Wow...an on-topic thread from @Emp_Fab ? Dude, you feeling OK?

Anyway...yeah, I tried them for a bit. One of the strings in the 9-46 pack I tried broke within the first week (on a guitar that's never broken a string, ever). I tried 10-52 for a while, and they sounded awesome but I just couldn't get on with the tension. Can't comment on longevity, 'cos the longest they were on my guitar was 3 weeks.

I thought they sounded and felt great, and they're a lot easier to play than Elixirs due to being lower-tension for equivalent gauges. I may go back to them at some point, but for now...I like the slipperiness of Elixirs too much.
    <space for hire>

Anyway...yeah, I tried them for a bit. One of the strings in the 9-46 pack I tried broke within the first week (on a guitar that's never broken a string, ever). I tried 10-52 for a while, and they sounded awesome but I just couldn't get on with the tension. Can't comment on longevity, 'cos the longest they were on my guitar was 3 weeks.

I thought they sounded and felt great, and they're a lot easier to play than Elixirs due to being lower-tension for equivalent gauges. I may go back to them at some point, but for now...I like the slipperiness of Elixirs too much.
    I've just converted to Elixir optiwebs, so far so good, they don't need as much stretching in and seem to hold tune better than my daddarios did. Main reason for switching brand is the double wrapping of strings... petty huh?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Best string on market IMO. Last ages (way more than twice as long) and bend further than normal strings. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    longshins said:

I've just converted to Elixir optiwebs, so far so good, they don't need as much stretching in and seem to hold tune better than my daddarios did. Main reason for switching brand is the double wrapping of strings... petty huh?
    No. Attention to detail differentiates a good guitarist from Joe Average
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Whilst I think it's primarily an attempt by D'Addario to increase product differentiation and margins I do feel that I'll have to try them at some point. 
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I've had a set of 10's on my Les Paul for a couple of months now, no complaints.  I was impressed at how well they held a tuning right after I put them on.  I still think XL's are excellent but these do appear to be an improvement on an already great string.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Roland said:
    longshins said:

Think that was in reference to D'Addario coiling their strings in pairs in the packet?
    ... or possibly to "stretching in and ... hold tune"
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    yeah, I switched to them a year or so ago, after using Ernie Ball 9s for about 30 years. Wouldn't go back - they're more expensive, but they feel a lot nicer and 'springier', and they stay that way for longer too. I don't think I've actually broken one yet. I play for hours each day and change them every month/month-and-a-half for freshness anyway, but not having one go in that amount of time is a first.
    roberty said:
    Roland said:
    longshins said:

Think that was in reference to D'Addario coiling their strings in pairs in the packet?
    Yeah the pairs in the packet thing. Pisses me right off, I always get in a pickle unwrapping the B and E string.
    yeah, I switched to them a year or so ago, after using Ernie Ball 9s for about 30 years. Wouldn't go back - they're more expensive, but they feel a lot nicer and 'springier', and they stay that way for longer too. I don't think I've actually broken one yet. I play for hours each day and change them every month/month-and-a-half for freshness anyway, but not having one go in that amount of time is a first.
    You'll get the same low tension from a set of regular XLs compared to EB's, not sure if you've tried those.  The 10 packs are good value
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    The latest That Pedal Show might be an interesting watch for you, or others, as it's all about strings, gauges etc and they're using various D'Addario sets (Dan actually uses NYXL strings).
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    This thread has made me want to get more of them again.
    I might just put the 10 or so packs of normal strings I have away as emergency spares and go back to these.
    Hmm mm

Anyone seen any good deals on 10 packs of these in 10-46?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    Hahaha...  Yes, I'm fine mate!  I'm not going to put the mockers on it by divulging any more, but suffice to say I may have reason to get my guitars off the wall, dusted down and replace the rusty strands of metal that used to be strings.

In the end, I stuck with my usual XL120+’s for the moment after reading a comment above about the tension being different.  Both of my electrics are perfectly set up and I don't want to upset anything with different tension on the neck.

I'm intrigued by your comment about slippery elixirs.  I've got a set on my acoustic but haven't played it since fitting them several years ago!

I've never tried an electric with them and my ignorance is worried that they would be duller than uncoated strings and I'd have trouble getting any pinched harmonics out of them.

What would you say are the big differences (positive and negative) compared to regular strings?
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26457
    Emp_Fab said:

I've never tried an electric with them and my ignorance is worried that they would be duller than uncoated strings and I'd have trouble getting any pinched harmonics out of them.

What would you say are the big differences (positive and negative) compared to regular strings?
    I've absolutely never had trouble pulling harmonics (pinched, tapped or natural) out of them. In fact, I can still do it quite easily after they've been on the guitar for 6 months, which is something I can't say for any other brand of string.

They are definitely more slippery than normal strings...I happen to quite like that, but you might not. They're also noticeably higher-tension than NYXLs, but I suspect that's a combination of Elixirs being a bit tight and NYXLs being a bit loose.

The main benefit for me is that I rarely have to change my strings (I fucking hate it). In fact, in the last year I've changed my pickups more than I've changed strings. They're not as bright as other brands when they're fresh, but from two or three days on...they stay the same, instead of getting progressively more dull like "normal" strings.
    <space for hire>