MXR Echoplex pedal - any love or just a nice logo

What's Hot
ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
Looking for a basic'ish analog voiced pedal with a some modulation. I believe the echoplex 'age mode' gives a bit of modulation. Does this pedal do what it does brilliantly, or are there better and cheaper alternatives? I was also looking at the Keeley Mag Echo, and the Earthquaker Disaster Transport (the discontinued one).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Great pedal which does what it's supposed to do extremely well. One of the few pedals I've kept since adopting FX8 and Helix.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Yep, I compared it to a 'real' echoplex and it was the closest... I'll buy another one day.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Catalinbread Belle Epoch is another Echoplex pedal. 
    I love its modulation.  Sounds bonkers but works live.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Yep, I compared it to a 'real' echoplex and it was the closest... I'll buy another one day.
    I know you have a soft spot for the Talisman, have you found any particular delays that go particularly well with it? 

For my needs reverb stops with the talisman, just perfect. So looking for a delay that matches up well.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 878
    Could anyone say how an MXR Echoplex compares to an El Capistan?
    revsorg said:
    Could anyone say how an MXR Echoplex compares to an El Capistan?
    I prefer the MXR I have to say. The El Cap is a lot more versatile though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited July 2017
    Did I read somewhere that this pedal only does the delay part of the Echoplex, that you need another pedal to cop the preamp stage?
    clarkefan said:
    Did I read somewhere that this pedal only does the delay part of the Echoplex, that you need another pedal to cop the preamp stage?
    True story. The EP101 is a separate pedal and you technically need both to cop the full Echoplex experience. Having said that I've never felt the need to splurge on the 101.
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1013
    There's a long That Pedal Show video on YouTube that compares the tape echo pedals. They liked it a lot...
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Strymon deco ........will do superb echoplex pre-amp and tape echo but also great slapback and great double tracking and Flange ..........best pedal ever
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Gurus t7e is coming in September. That looks amazing. 
  • the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 71

I'll be the lone voice of dissent here. I bought one when it first came out with a view to displacing my Belle Epoch. I returned it.

Sound wise, it didn't blow me away. It reminded me of the echoplex model on the DL4. The wow and flutter felt unconvincing and the oscillation whilst nice was fiddly to control.

For the price it felt cheap...I had no confidence in the knobs - particulalrly the push button one in the middle.

I ended up keeping the Belle Epoch not because I think its much better at nailing the EP3 sound but because I thought it was overall a nicer sounding delay in its own right with far better build quality.  

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    simonk said:
    clarkefan said:
    True story. The EP101 is a separate pedal and you technically need both to cop the full Echoplex experience. Having said that I've never felt the need to splurge on the 101.
    I think it's also true of the Belle Epoch and you need the Belle Epoch Deluxe to get both in one ( large) box from Catalinbread. Also costs a lot but has various bells and whistles.

Zoolooter said:
    Looking for a basic'ish analog voiced pedal with a some modulation. I believe the echoplex 'age mode' gives a bit of modulation. Does this pedal do what it does brilliantly, or are there better and cheaper alternatives? I was also looking at the Keeley Mag Echo, and the Earthquaker Disaster Transport (the discontinued one).
    I don't know if I'm being pedantic or wrong but when you say analog ( sic) voiced with modulation I think more of things like the Carbon Copy or SD Vapor Trail which are BBD delays with modulation rather than tape voiced delays like the Echoplex and Belle Epoch pedals. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • the_pman28the_pman28 Frets: 71
    edited July 2017

I think it's also true of the Belle Epoch and you need the Belle Epoch Deluxe to get both in one ( large) box from Catalinbread. Also costs a lot but has various bells and whistles.

No the Belle Epoch includes the preamp. Theres an internal switch that allows you to bypass it when the delay is off or you can leave it in the signal path permanently 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293

No the Belle Epoch includes the preamp. Theres an internal switch that allows you to bypass it when the delay is off or you can leave it in the signal path permanently 
    Ahh, okay, that's a +1 for the BE then. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.