Anyone had a PPI refund?

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    I wrote a letter to Lloyd’s in 204 regarding a loan in 1997 received £4500 very straightforward.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    capo4th said:
    I wrote a letter to Lloyd’s in 204 regarding a loan in 1997 received £4500 very straightforward.
    Was it on parchment, vellum, or slate?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    sticker said:
    sev112 said:
    57Deluxe said:
    anyone got a refund for just credit card usage?

Mine was for PPI on credit cards, yes.
    What’s the crack with this - just having the credit card, or because you had big debt on it and they charged you PPI on that ?

a lot of credit cards at the time charged you for PPI each month whilst not making it clear that this was a separate insurance product and also that it wasn't  mandatory .

If it was applied to a card that you held without being fully explained then you may have a case to a claim .

Ok, maybe it’s a Thursday night and it’s been a long week, but ...
    how do they charge you PPI?  Presumably only if there wasn’t interest on anything not paid off each month?
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    sev112 said:
    sticker said:
    sev112 said:
    57Deluxe said:
    anyone got a refund for just credit card usage?

Mine was for PPI on credit cards, yes.
    What’s the crack with this - just having the credit card, or because you had big debt on it and they charged you PPI on that ?

a lot of credit cards at the time charged you for PPI each month whilst not making it clear that this was a separate insurance product and also that it wasn't  mandatory .

If it was applied to a card that you held without being fully explained then you may have a case to a claim .

Ok, maybe it’s a Thursday night and it’s been a long week, but ...
    how do they charge you PPI?  Presumably only if there wasn’t interest on anything not paid off each month?

No, it's an insurance policy, you would pay it each month not related to interest at all. I can remember when I took a loan out with Lloyds they essentially told me if I didn't take it out I may get refused the loan as it's a lack of security for the bank. Which was lies but I've never made the effort to claim
  • I went through a load of PPI claims this year. Many were for as far back as 2001. And I didn't even have the paperwork for them.

It all started when my bank got in touch and said it might have missold me PPI on an overdraft and would I like to claim. I said yes. Two weeks later they'd paid over £2K into my bank account.

So this set me off onto all my other likely sources. And some had changed hands company wise and I had to work out who to write to. But I did it. And got letters off to several companies going back many years.  In most cases there was a second stage with a phone interview, but nothing difficult. In some cases the only information I had on old bank accounts was hoping they still had the data.  I was still successful.

The result is I've had over £7K back this year. Minimal effort. No third party ambulance chasers involved. Just used some form letters I found on an advice website. 

Paid off my credit card, got me a 4K TV and some other toys. Well worth doing.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    So just a quick one before I go off and investigate, how far back can I go and with no information do you just write and hope they find your account for you?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    edited November 2017
    @bluechargeboy ;; - I had many of those 0% card transfers in mid 2000s - do I have to find the paperwork for each or is it traced back via your main bank account?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    So just a quick one before I go off and investigate, how far back can I go and with no information do you just write and hope they find your account for you?
    My MBNA payout was from 1997 .
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    @bluechargeboy ;; - I had many of those 0% card transfers in mid 2000s - do I have to find the paperwork for each or is it traced back via your main bank account?

@57Deluxe ;

PPI will be attached to each credit card account, so if you had 5 credit cards then you've got 5 possible claims if you accepted PPI cover for all of them. If you are talking about multiple balance transfers on one card then it will all be linked to that.

I used the Resolver service and filled in as much as I could remember about when I opened my credit cards and what my employment status and address was back then (like 20 years ago). If you send them the approximate details they should be able to find something.

If they can't find anything then consider it a learning experience to keep paperwork!! :) 

Go and read about it at moneysavingexpert.com, that's the best resource IMO.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    My situation is this: 

At some point in the pat I *know* I had PPI - and I know I declined it on the phone but it was on the paperwork when it arrived and I was in a hurry for the money so went with it.

But for the life of me I don't know who it was with - and my Credit Report only goes back to closed loans c. 2010 and this was WAY before then.

so I'm not sure what to do (and no I don't have any old paperwork) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    My situation is this: 

At some point in the pat I *know* I had PPI - and I know I declined it on the phone but it was on the paperwork when it arrived and I was in a hurry for the money so went with it.

But for the life of me I don't know who it was with - and my Credit Report only goes back to closed loans c. 2010 and this was WAY before then.

i'm kinda in the same boat, spent about 10 years doing the 0% shuffle and amortising loans  :'(
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    I did all mine in about 20 mins from this page - no paperwork required in the first instant.

https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/how-to-check/search-for-provider

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    edited November 2017
    TimmyO said:
    My situation is this: 

Use 'the claims guys' to search all financial institutions for you. When they ask if you want to pursue say no and then do it yourself.
    Obviously check the small print, but the radio advert makes out like you can do this, and they usually have to read out any important terms.

Alternatively do it yourself, but it will involve writing to every bank you can think of and asking them to investigate.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7411
    DefaultM said:
    TimmyO said:
    My situation is this: 

Use 'the claims guys' to search all financial institutions for you. When they ask if you want to pursue say no and then do it yourself.
    Obviously check the small print, but the radio advert makes out like you can do this, and they usually have to read out any important terms.

Alternatively do it yourself, but it will involve writing to every bank you can think of and asking them to investigate.
    I just gave them a quick google - they sound best avoided! 
    Red ones are better. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7323
    edited November 2017
    They're all best avoided to be honest. With most of these companies they send in an identical complaint for each customer. They're completely generic and the only thing that changes is the personal details like name and DoB.
    All the rest is a copy and paste template, and if you get any money back it's absolutely nothing to do with anything that the company has done.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2760
    Ok, 3 queries sent off- let’s see where this gets :)

anyone have ate any idea how I can find out who I had a credit card with 30years age - I know I did but can’t for the life of me remember who it was with ?
  • sev112 said:
    Ok, 3 queries sent off- let’s see where this gets :)

anyone have ate any idea how I can find out who I had a credit card with 30years age - I know I did but can’t for the life of me remember who it was with ?
    could just write to as many as you can and see who tells you otherwise
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1344
    I was temporarily blinded when urine was thrown in my face. 
    When I contacted PPI lawyers they told me to fuck off.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    I did it all myself and got refunds for quite a bit and did some for my sister. She then got Gladstone involved and they found a tonne more like £000’s worth. Only took 20% and in her case definitely worth it. I’ve got them looking for me too now.