Someone recommend me a fuzz and low level distortion

What's Hot
samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
I'm currently running a SS/BS Mini and Boss DS-1 (one of those super cheap pedals that I absolutely love) in my gain stage, but I've decided that these are no longer fulfilling my wildest fantasies of tone!

For that reason, can any of you guys suggest a nice thick fuzz? My friend has a Chase Bliss Brothers which sounds superb, but I'm not willing to commit that much money into one pedal right now.

Also, can anyone suggest a super smooth low level distortion pedal? (Just bought a clean boost so not looking for anything in that region).

Many thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Try a DOD Carcosa - a great, versatile fuzz that may cover your distortion needs too.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    Rat does distortion and can turn it down low for od drive tones.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Ibanez od850
  • samothy01samothy01 Frets: 33
    simonk said:
    Try a DOD Carcosa - a great, versatile fuzz that may cover your distortion needs too.
    Okay this is gonna sounds totally picky of me but I'm not a huge fan of how it looks!

JD50 said:
    Rat does distortion and can turn it down low for od drive tones.
    I have tried a rat before, doesn't seem to want to work for me. I know other people that swear by it but unfortunately it's not for me!
    timmysoft said:
    Ibanez od850
    I've never actually tried any ibanez pedals before , heard good things about them though... may give this one a try. 

What at kind of thing would you recommend using it for?/what are its strengths?
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    The SS/BS Mini is a versatile beast, spend more time with it and you can dial it in to sound better than anything else, ever.

I use a SS/BS Buzzz as my fuzz and it's ridiculously versatile.
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    I've not tried these distortions but they are on my wanted list, Arc effects Soothsayer/Buffalo FX Evolution. I've Just bought a used Thorpy Muff Room Cloud and run that into a Zvex Double Rock (2x Box of Rock and 2x super hard-ons!) and that sounds thick as.............
    I really rate the Zvex Double Rock. Also look at the White Atom Fuzz by Magnetic effects.
    The SS/BS Mini is a versatile beast, spend more time with it and you can dial it in to sound better than anything else, ever.

I've had it for a fair while now but in fairness I don't think I've really tried to experiment with it, more so just stuck it in my chain and turned it on. I think I'll definitely have a long sit down with it this weekend, see how it goes!

Have been tempted for a while to try a SS/BS fuck....
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    edited July 2017
    Mxr dist + DOD 250 ? Can also use these as boosts and they get fuzzy.

I've had it for a fair while now but in fairness I don't think I've really tried to experiment with it, more so just stuck it in my chain and turned it on. I think I'll definitely have a long sit down with it this weekend, see how it goes!

Have been tempted for a while to try a SS/BS fuck....
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    samothy01 said:

Also, can anyone suggest a super smooth low level distortion pedal? (Just bought a clean boost so not looking for anything in that region).

The Z'Vex Distortron does this really well, and doesn't have the extra boost section of the Box Of Rock. 
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3041
    edited July 2017
    @samothy01 I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "super smooth low level distortion", but I'm selling a clone of an Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107387/fs-eqd-speaker-cranker-clone

Any good?

R.
    I've not tried these distortions but they are on my wanted list, Arc effects Soothsayer/Buffalo FX Evolution. I've Just bought a used Thorpy Muff Room Cloud and run that into a Zvex Double Rock (2x Box of Rock and 2x super hard-ons!) and that sounds thick as.............
    I really rate the Zvex Double Rock. Also look at the White Atom Fuzz by Magnetic effects.
    I've heard very good things about the thorpy fx muff room cloud, that is one that's sneaking its way onto my list I think...

I haven't tried any Zvex stuff either, but again I've only heard good reviews about them, that may actually be a contender for a lil trial!
    @samothy01 I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "super smooth low level distortion", but I'm selling a clone of an Earthquaker Devices Speaker Cranker: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/107387/fs-eqd-speaker-cranker-clone

Any good?

R.
    Not for me, unfortunately! I like a lil more control in my pedals. Thanks anyway!
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3041
    samothy01 said:
    Not for me, unfortunately! I like a lil more control in my pedals. Thanks anyway!
    No probs.

R.
    JD50 said:
    As I just wrote, I'm not a big fan of 1 or 2 knob pedals, so the mxr dist or DOD 250 wouldn't really work for me! 

Also, I think I mentioned that I'm not in the market for a boost-esque pedal as I've recently bought one. Thanks anyway :)
    JD50 said:
    As I just wrote, I'm not a big fan of 1 or 2 knob pedals, so the mxr dist or DOD 250 wouldn't really work for me! 

Also, I think I mentioned that I'm not in the market for a boost-esque pedal as I've recently bought one. Thanks anyway :)
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    samothy01 said:

The Z'Vex Distortron does this really well, and doesn't have the extra boost section of the Box Of Rock. 
    OP^^ also cheap as chips used! great pedal!
  • MrMusicMrMusic Frets: 44
    Pigtronix Disnortion, great versatile underated pedal. Only thing is you can only get one second hand these days. Saw one go on ebay recently fo for £85

https://pigtronix.com/products/disnortion/