Choosing Cymbals - what to look out for?

What's Hot

Hi,

As a first step away from my home based electronic kit into the real world of rehearsal studios and jam nights I want to buy a set of cymbals (then I'll progress to buying a snare drum and eventually a set of toms/bass drum).

What should I be looking for in cymbals? I assume they are all use a standard mounting method? I don't want anything too bright - have seen some youtube vids of Meinl Custom Classics Dark that I like the sound (and look) of - but what should I be aware of when I check them out in a shop? I assume I should put more of the funds towards Hi-Hats (as they are used the most) followed by a Ride, then a crash cymbal? Any other advice?

Karma......
Ebay mark7777_1
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited July 2017
    mrkb said:

Hi,

As a first step away from my home based electronic kit into the real world of rehearsal studios and jam nights I want to buy a set of cymbals (then I'll progress to buying a snare drum and eventually a set of toms/bass drum).

What should I be looking for in cymbals? I assume they are all use a standard mounting method? I don't want anything too bright - have seen some youtube vids of Meinl Custom Classics Dark that I like the sound (and look) of - but what should I be aware of when I check them out in a shop? I assume I should put more of the funds towards Hi-Hats (as they are used the most) followed by a Ride, then a crash cymbal? Any other advice?

My advice is to use your ears, not your eyes.

The Custom Classic Darks look amazing but they are very bright and trashy sounding, despite the name.
    That works for some music but in most genres it doesn't IMHO.
    I find they overly dominate the frequencies needed by guitars and vocals and you will have people complain that you are too loud, when actually it is a problem with tone, rather than volume.

I would strongly suggest starting with something more versatile.
    You can almost never go wrong with Zildjian A's or K's, or Sabian AA's if doing rock music.
    K's are a little darker sounding but easily fit in with rock bands.
    Meinl Byzance are a good shout too- my main hats at the moment are some 14" Byzance Medium's and they are killer.

I would avoid Meinl CCD's, Zildjian A Customs and Sabian AAX's until you are certain that ultra-modern bright tone is what you are after.

I buy most of my cymbals from here: http://www.ukdrumdeals.co.uk
    I have about 20 from these guys.
    They are grey imports with the warranty and you save a packet.
    The Zildjian A Avedis pack they have there for £583 is incredibly good value for what you get.
    You could easily gig for 10 years+ with those cymbals and never need more.

Don't be afraid to mix brands and types- some people don't like to do this but I reckon it is sometimes the best way.
    My gigging kit has the Byzance 14" hats, a 20" Zildjian K Ride, a ZIldjian 18" Kerope left side crash and an 18" K Custom Dark right side crash.

IMHO professional cymbals are cheap enough that you never need to worry about the cheap end of the scale- the under £100 club.
    They are almost always terrible sounding.
    YMMV of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    Cheers octatonic- will check those out. I do have a local drum shop to try a few out before I decide what sort of sound I'm after. 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom