I want to get into vinyl, where do I start?

What's Hot
Hey everyone
I want to get into vinyl, and I had a look at the different vinyl decks available and felt way in over my head. Can someone with experience show me a good place to start with about £100 budget? 
Cheers
Gabe
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Used Pro-ject Elemental is a good start. You'll need an amp with a phono stage and a set of speakers though.

I'm selling a nice old Rotel amp with an awesome phono stage if you're ever interested.
  • XandoorXandoor Frets: 6
    got a stereo at home, all I need is the deck and a pre amp. the amp we have doesn't have a phono stage so i'll have to get a seperate thing right?

• dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    I've heard surprisingly good things about the Lenco L-85 which is around £100 new and designed to be completely plug and play, minimal set-up and nothing else needed.

You could get a better turntable secondhand, but you could end up with something much worse too.  If you just want something to not worry about while you build up your vinyl collection it might be worth looking at.
    after a bit of looking the Audio-Technica AT-LP60 is quite attractive, nice easy working it seems.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Pants and a gimp mask?
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    You'll need a phono stage. Try looking on hifiwigwam for a second hand one or you can pick up a Project Phono Box from Richer sounds for £60. If you're going in at entry level it is all about the fun and nostalgia of owning vinyl than fantastic sound quality.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Xandoor said:
    after a bit of looking the Audio-Technica AT-LP60 is quite attractive, nice easy working it seems.

If you're just looking to get something to play records, without getting cork-sniffy, that looks like a good buy for the money.
    my impatience got the better of me, the Audio-Technica AT-LP60 is on the way. I have read very good things, and it has a phono stage integrated so there's not faffing about. I'll give an update if i just threw £100 away, but I have a good feeling and the reviews are positive.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
     Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl, there`s no way back now!

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7745
    Pro Ject turntable (used) JVC JAS11 (or 22, or 44), and Tannoy Reveal monitors.  
    £125-£150 all in.  Sounds fab!!
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Tone71 said:
     Welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl, there`s no way back now!

There's one way back, unfortunately it's bankruptcy after realising how many of your favourite albums are available as special edition vinyl boxsets!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Ah the convince of an easily damaged, oversized media format with poor sound quality :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    underdog said:
    poor sound quality
    ??? Vastly superior to CD, mp3 and everything else that digitises the sound.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    axisus said:
    underdog said:
    poor sound quality

And monstrous amounts of fun. I love messing with my turntable and searching out second hand vinyl bargains
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Go to Discogs (http://www.discogs.com)

See you in about a month with a thread entitled "Totally broke, but I need to buy massive storage for vinyl..help!!"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited July 2017
    axisus said:
    underdog said:
    poor sound quality
    +1, directly comparing different formats of same album on my setup and cds sound incredibly naff compared to vinyl. I've never felt less connected to music than when I listen to mp3s or other digital sources - science or bunkum or whatever, but if I'm sitting down to listen to music and I want to really dig in only vinyl does it for me. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    axisus said:
    underdog said:
    poor sound quality
    I don't understand this. 99% of the time, any recording from your favourite artist made in the last 30 years or so leaves the analogue domain and enters the digital domain when the signal from the microphone hits the A/D converter on it's way into the DAW - Pro Tools, Logic, etc. The individual tracks are stored digitally. The mix is done digitally. The new recording released on vinyl will be cut from a digital master. The modern vinyl LP is an artefact made from digital sources.

Even the recent remix of Sgt Pepper - from the original 50 years old 4-track analogue tape - was probably mixed into stereo via a DAW. It's entirely possible they copied the analogue 4-track into a DAW as the very first step, for convenience and to preserve the original tape a little longer. It sounds marvellous, BTW! 

I'm happy if people prefer the sound of an analogue vinyl LP to the CD alternative, as long as they don't try and tell me it's more faithful to the stereo mix that the artist decided was the one they wanted when they were mixing it in the studio. That will be the preserve of the CD. The vinyl cut is often a compromise, due to the limitations of the cutting machine.

CD quality is fantastic if you listen to it on decent hifi and it outperforms vinyl for noise floor and dynamic range. However some people will prefer the sound of the same recording when listened to on vinyl because we're all different. Some people like the 12in format as "a thing" and so do I, but not to listen to vs CDs. 

Me, I'm glad I don't get rumble, crackle, wow & flutter or any of the other side effects of vinyl disk or magnetic tape. 

Apologies to the OP - I'm on a tangent, I know. Please enjoy your vinyl and ignore me. If you like it, then you like it! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    digital is better quality, let's not start that one again. Vinyl, however, is mastered to suit the format.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4947
    Agree with @TheBigDipper re production of vinyl. A 'good' vinyl rig is amazing to listen to. Serious money but for some, the sound justifies the expense. But whatever your level of kit, the records themselves are very pricey. Enjoy.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    It's worth investing a couple of hundred on a half-decent deck with an above average cartridge. Spending less will just make your vinyl sound naff and you won't enjoy it as much as you can. For me though, vinyl is more about novelty than sound quality.