Pickups upgrade.

What's Hot
Hi. I just bought a used ESP LTD M-100FM and it plays fine. Great neck etc etc. But to me the fat 3 strings sound a little 'dull'! The pickups currently fitted to the guitar are the ESP factory mode models. Can anyone suggest an upgrade that will brighten up those three fat strings?  I would say that I mostly play 80's kinda big hair glam (VH Ratt White Lion) through a Marshall MG 15 stack with the gain maxed out but also prone to a little funk, blues, and jazz minus the distortion of course. :)  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    edited July 2017
    Before you start messing around with pickup changes, have you tried the guitar through a different amp? An MG isn't the greatest sounding amp.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Also, a quick fix would be changing the strings but defo try a different amp, just to make sure! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've tried it through an old 'Crate' amp using an RP55 pedal and still sounding a little 'dull'. It's not do bad minus any distortion. In fact no complaints whatsoever.  it's just when you crank it up.
  • The strings that came attached are    D'Addario EXL 120+. Would changing these make a huge difference?
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3451
    Seymour Duncan JB SH-4 for the bridge is the classic for that kind of sound. Very bright. There are loads of pickups similar to the JB. 
    I prefer a Dimarzio Tone Zone but it's a bit bottom heavy which won't help with the dull sound you say you're having.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    The strings that came attached are    D'Addario EXL 120+. Would changing these make a huge difference?
    The type of string won't make much difference, but if they're old or knackered then they'll certainly sound dull. If they've got much age to them a string change would be my first stop before doing anything else. Have you got sweaty hands or acidic sweat? That can kill a set of strings in no time. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26688
    boogieman said:
    Before you start messing around with pickup changes, have you tried the guitar through a different amp? An MG isn't the greatest sounding amp.  
    Talking of the amp...try using less gain, a bit more bass and a touch less treble. Past a certain point, even with metal stuff, adding gain removes the low-end power.

Remember, most of what you hear as "gain" on records is actually lower-gain guitars double- or triple-tracked.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you tried adjusting the pickups themselves.
    Both closeness to the strings and heights of pole pieces have a huge impact on the tone produced. 

It's free to tinker with too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    All good advice re: strings, amp and pickup heights, definitely worth trying before you start changing things.

If you eventually decide a pickup change is needed, have a look at the Irongear Hot Slag. They're bright but not harsh and great for 80's type rock. I much prefer them to the SD JB's and they're a lot cheaper.
  • Thanks guys. The strings are new and the amp selections with and without the RP55 seems to eliminate either of those being an issue but will definitely have a look at resetting the pickup height. I'm no expert but how tricky can it be! :)  Do or did anyone else have the same pickup issue with this guitar?
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    You probably need something with more treble if you're finding dullness. 
    Try something with ceramic magnet or with a lower resistance.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Define dull?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    First stop has to be the strings.  Do they sound crisp and tangy when you play the guitar unplugged?? If they don't then change em! The E,A&D strings can go dull easily and lose all their twangyness....surely we've all experienced the new strings thing - often shocked how much brighter n crisp they sound compared to the old ones you just took off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dull in this instance can be defined as 'Flat, lacking in tone,'! They ring crisp and clear unplugged. Might have to try the height adjustment and see how that goes initially. As is 'Dull' might also be defined as sounding rather muddy! :)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14521
    How old are these strings? Do you have greasy skin or corrosive sweat? 

A guy in my area is forever buying and selling guitars. On average, it takes him about eight to twelve days to become dissatisfied with his latest acquisition. Roughly the same time that it takes for his acidic sweat to kill all of the tone in his strings.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL Greasy skin and corrosive sweat! You must be mixing me up with Porky pig. :) But seriously I've only had the guitar including new strings for 24 hours have 9 other guitars. Kramers, Jacksons, Gibsons and a peavey and no issues with them. I'm sure that with a little tweeking of the bridge pickup it will sort itself out. Hey but thanks for your input.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14521
    Sorry. The question needed asking.

I know several guitarists with this issue. All seem to be in denial that they could possibly be the cause of their strings' short life - even when the evidence is staring them in the face.

The guy to whom I originally referred bought a bass guitar from me. The strings had been on for over six months with only the normal loss of treble that occurs in the first few days. The purchaser killed those strings in just over a week.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rory Gallagher springs to mind! :)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Try a set of Gibson Brite Wires strings first.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Defo adjust the pick up height. You'll be surprised at the difference half-a-turn on the height can make on tone.

My Charvel Pro-Mod sounded a bit life-less and dull, half a turn lower, right into the pickups optimal sweetspot and it's turned into a monster.
    Also try turning the mids and bass down on the amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)