Middle Aged Men on Motorbikes

What's Hot

Comments

• TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    edited July 2017
    Emp_Fab said:
    Specifically big bore twins with straight pipes and very little silencing.  Every single one of the fuckers just HAS to blip the throttle to attract attention.  "Look at MEEE, I'm still a man!  Don't write me off yet!".

The bastard things are stupidly and unnecessarily noisy to start with, but that's not enough for Mr Mid-Life-Crisis.  Nooo... he can't just ride in a straight line with a steady throttle, he has to blip it to announce to everyone that he's there with an ear-splitting blast of 1200cc of never-actually-used power with the clutch in.

Fucking tools.  You don't see that behaviour from proper bikers on proper bikes, even if they are middle aged.
    Love this,I find great joy in genuine rage and rants about petty (don't take that the wrong way) things.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16013
    Emp_Fab said:
    not to be aware there was a bloke with too much money and a yearning for his youth in your vicinity.  
    So basically you're a skint- member that despises somebody who can afford a proper bike and needs to call them a tool
    - like I said .........go down to your local MC clubhouse and shout your mouth off ...............the lesson in polite manners from people who have those bikes will be a memorable experience.
     You actually need to be very careful when you step into the V twin world about who you could offend because you are walking into a different dimension.
    Like I told you " those bikes " are not just toys  for weekend warriors - to some people they are a religion and they'"go to church " Google it .............do some research before you insult them ..........it really isn't a very good idea .

9reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Oooooh...  I'm scared!   =)

You're defending people who ride excessively loud machines and your argument is that it's ok because they're big tough men ???

Basically I'm an ex-biker who is not skint and sees no reason to excuse the noisy dicks disturbing the peace anymore than I wouldn't excuse a car driver with no exhaust.

There is no excuse for a stupidly loud exhaust.  End of.

p.s. and on a personal level, they're not "proper bikes".  They're noisy two-wheeled cars for blokes too scared to get a proper machine.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Loud pipes save lives
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Emp_Fab said:
    Oooooh...  I'm scared!   =)

You're defending people who ride excessively loud machines and your argument is that it's ok because they're big tough men ???

Basically I'm an ex-biker who is not skint and sees no reason to excuse the noisy dicks disturbing the peace anymore than I wouldn't excuse a car driver with no exhaust.

There is no excuse for a stupidly loud exhaust.  End of.

p.s. and on a personal level, they're not "proper bikes".  They're noisy two-wheeled cars for blokes too scared to get a proper machine.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TavernorTavernor Frets: 85
    edited July 2017
    Dominic said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Specifically big bore twins with straight pipes and very little silencing.  Every single one of the fuckers just HAS to blip the throttle to attract attention.  "Look at MEEE, I'm still a man!  Don't write me off yet!".

The bastard things are stupidly and unnecessarily noisy to start with, but that's not enough for Mr Mid-Life-Crisis.  Nooo... he can't just ride in a straight line with a steady throttle, he has to blip it to announce to everyone that he's there with an ear-splitting blast of 1200cc of never-actually-used power with the clutch in.

Fucking tools.  You don't see that behaviour from proper bikers on proper bikes, even if they are middle aged.
    I am one of those but I have ridden a Harley since 1982 .By the way it's 1620 cc .........1200 sportsters are for the ol' ladies
    you shouldn't make those kind of comments - some MC brothers might take offence unless you had the nerve to go down to your local clubhouse and voice them . Never mind the older men ... I hear some of the younger Prospects tend to get easily excited by that kind of talk but I wouldn't know myself.
    I know nothing about bikes but googled the speedster and they look badass. Would an MC laugh at me if I rode one? Genuine question.

As for the danger thing, I don't doubt a crash is more dangerous on a bike than in a car but noone I know who rides has ever seriously hurt themselves. I've never ridden anything other than mates twisties when I was a hoodlum but it's a minor miracle I made it to 30 (I'd guess my average hospital admission and stay worked out at around a week in my twenties); my loved ones might be relieved if I switched my attention to two wheels.

Too fast to live, too young to die as the saying goes. At least I was, alas.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tavernor said:

I know nothing about bikes but googled the speedster and they look badass. Would an MC laugh at me if I rode one? Genuine question.
    Depends on the MC.  If it's a club for fat old losers with shiny new leathers, immaculate bikes and big moustaches trying to pretend they're all badasses and outlaws, then no, it would fit right in.  If it was a proper MC, then possibly - if nothing else for the fact that it's a Harley; to engineering what Iceland is to fine dining.
  • frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    Watch your back boy, you're stepping into a new dimension. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2533
    edited July 2017
    ronnyb said:
     Would really like one but the roads are just too congested. 
    I hear that. I hate riding in the UK and ride in Europe more and more every year. I did 10k miles on my bike in 2016, 9k of which were in Europe. Same for this year, recently returned from a 2k mile trip to France and heading to the Austrian alps in September. There's nothing here other than Wales (which I love) that makes me want to ride here anymore. An example is my thread on getting flashed by a camera, there's too much policing of the roads. NSL roads in Surrey have been reduced to 50mph in areas that are rural. It's taking the fun out of having a bike. My long term plan/dream (12 years from now all going well) is to move overseas and spend my retirement years chilling and riding. Maybe taking one or two riders out on guided tours. Northern Spain/South of France would suit me fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    Emp_Fab said:
    Tavernor said:

Depends on the MC.  If it's a club for fat old losers with shiny new leathers, immaculate bikes and big moustaches trying to pretend they're all badasses and outlaws, then no, it would fit right in.  If it was a proper MC, then possibly - if nothing else for the fact that it's a Harley; to engineering what Iceland is to fine dining.
    Do you know what MC means? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Lodious said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Tavernor said:

It means motorcycle club, which can be a vague blanket term that covers anything from your local church ride out group to the international back patch groups. I'm guessing you're using it in the far more specific term here though.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    octatonic said:
    cruxiform said:
    I believe that for every mile you drive, you are 27 times more likely to die on a motorbike than in a car. That seems a high price to pay for "fun". Even if y are the most responsible of riders, it's the other drivers you need to worry about. 
    Couldn't give a fuck. Life's all about taking risks. I could sit at home pondering all of the possible outcomes of riding a motorcycle or get out there and enjoy myself on my bike. Which I do, and have done for many years. If I was to die on my bike at least I'd be happy doing something I loved.

I had 2 close friends who died Imagine being the sort of person who doesn't do what they want because of fear.at the ages of 35 and 41 of cancer and of a brain tumour. This (often shit) life flashes by and I'm all for seizing the day. 
    This.

The 27x thing is only significant when you know how likely you are to die in a car accident.
    If it is 1 in 1,000,000 then the chance of dying in a motorcycle accident is 27 in 1,000,000.
    I'll take that- it is still pretty unlikely.
    If it is 1/1000 then on a bike then it is 27/1000- or 2.7%.

The other thing is you can do an awful lot to mitigate your own risk by not doing stupid stuff- blind overtakes, ignoring maintenance, riding with group of bikers who take risks.
    You can avoid riding up the arse of cars and you can filter at a reasonable speed so you aren't rear ended by someone on their phone.
    You can slow down in the wet and not ride when it is below 3 degrees.
    The statistics include people who do all this stuff.
    If you aren't one of them then you have a better than average chance of not dying.
    You can do advanced riding qualifications too.

The 'you have to worry about other people' thing is a bit of a myth too- well, you DO have to worry about other people but there are ways of avoiding accidents as well, no matter what someone else does.
    It is called riding defensively.

When I ride I am always expecting drivers to do dumb things.
    They mostly don't but when they do I know I have it covered.
    Could something still happen?
    Sure, but that its true of anything.

The other point is I can't imagine being the sort of person who doesn't do what they want because of fear.

I'd be curious to see the mortality statistics for alcohol compared to motorcycling though.
    I don't drink (not because of the risk of death, just because I don't like it) but I do ride.
    Would be interesting to compare the mortality statistics of someone who doesn't ride a bike but does drink.

2015 stats:
    Motorbike deaths in UK: 241 https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/statisticsformotorcyclistskilledorseriouslyinjuredforthepast5years
    Alcohol related deaths in UK: 8,758 https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/causesofdeath/bulletins/alcoholrelateddeathsintheunitedkingdom/registeredin2015
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    There we go. :)
    Well,he has obviously never played a Clubhouse gig for a  1% 3 Piece Patch Club ,that's for sure. There are lots of immaculate bikes ( that's what prospects are for ) ......not so many shiny new leathers but certain clubs recruit Eastern European muscle these days and the colours might look newer than the old timers.
     Sportsters /bobbers are not uncommon nor are big dress tourers .......it's not all 1970s choppers .
    Yes,lots of beards and bellies  and tatts and older guys and the Sargeant-at -arms will probably be 7 ' tall and equally wide but 
    there are plenty that don't fit that stereotype. You may be very surprised at the Profession of some members (not the majority)
    or the fact that they drive a brand new Range Rover ...........mysterious world but I can assure you they are not dentists.
     The scene is quieter in UK than Germany / Scandinavia /US or Australia.
      However ,some people take their lifestyle very seriously especially Legacies ( the sons of living or dead members )
    I have known somebody live in a caravan so they could keep their old Panhead because it is a lifestyle - not all money.

I dont give a toss what you think but everybody is entitled to an opinion.The nature of the engine is unavoidably loud and to muffle it reduces 25% of the already archaic output.( the original engine design was for a ditch pump - it ended up being put in a 2 wheel frame )
    What grinds my gears is being called a tool especially by somebody whose prejudice brings money into the equation although therein lies the true gripe - either you are the noise police or you simply have an issue with people that can afford a Harley as you stated 'too much money ". The MC element is no more enamoured of newly bought garage toy Dentist owners than you are .
    Like I told you, whilst you are entitled to opinion ( your opinion ) there is no need to insult people -if those are your sentiments keep them to yourself.
    The well - intentioned advice was just to let you know that there are people who would not react as politely as me to your insults.They really can be very unpleasant people . Chances are you have only come across a few Weekend Warriors but don't mouth off down at your local because you never know when you might be overheard by a 1% Patch Clubmember or over-eager Prospect .You would certainly get what is known as a "Stomping ".
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Emp's just being a keyboard warrior.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sure, but he wont make a good one with broken fingers .!!!..........(that 's a joke not a threat btw )
    3reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited July 2017
    The new ceo at my old place was the perfect "middle aged wanker on a bike" stereotype. When he took over, we had a 'town hall' meeting which started with a grand video presentation. It was a load of footage of someone riding this big expensive ugly BMW bike to Lingfield racecourse, of course upon arrival it showed the ceo taking off his helmet to reveal a big smug grin. The company was horse racing tv production, so probably 90% of the room were working on this weekend where we saw him enjoying a lovely day at the races. The video served no purpose other than to feed his ego. What a bell end. 

I'd love a motorbike for commuting but my gf won't let me! They are bloody dangerous though, I've had enough near misses at low speed on my push bike. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2419
    Lodious said:

Indeed, Emp is a paid-up member of the GOMC - grumpy old man club. His frequent self-righteous rants on this forum are best read out loud in a Victor Meldrew voice to put them in context.

We can only hope that next time Emp notices some guy revving a stationery big twin he makes a point of telling him what a tool he is. Who here thinks that's likely to happen? ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    underdog said:
    Lodious said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    Tavernor said:

It means motorcycle club, which can be a vague blanket term that covers anything from your local church ride out group to the international back patch groups. I'm guessing you're using it in the far more specific term here though.
    NO........an MC is a 1% 'OUTLAW' Club ..ie H.A.MC, OUTLAWS,BANDIDOS, MONGOLS etc 
    They will "licence" MCC clubs in their territory and control it some of which will be support clubs (co-erced )
    Some MCC s are also pretty serious.and are allowed to wear a front patch (1 piece)
    Everything else is simply Riders clubs.
    MC = 3 piece patch with top and bottom Rocker
             Serious Prospecting
              Lifelong club loyalty/ association
             Controls your whole life and family.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Well, that's a sensible response isn't it.

I stand by my opinions.  If you are one of these bikers who blips the throttle on a stupidly loud twin to get people to look at you then you are a tool.  Just ride the damn thing - don't go trying to get everybody else to validate your existence.

If, however, you don't behave like that, then you have no reason to take offence because my insult is for them alone.

As for being the 'Noise police'...  Why should anyone have to have their peace disturbed by deafening motorbikes, whose exhausts are designed to be loud, just because the rider likes them?  Fuck off somewhere else, preferably an unpopulated area, if you want to ride an unsilenced ditch pump around the place.  As for your "stomping" comment... no... it's too daft to respond to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom