Removing rust from Tele bridge

What's Hot
What's the best way to remove rust/corrosion from Tele bridge? Wet n dry or something else? It's only bad on the upper lip where sweat must have taken its toll...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16671
    Sell it as "naturally aged" 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 143
    It's certainly got Custom Shop heavy relic feel...(and it's 20 odd years old...)
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Dremel with a small wire brush is what I used to remove rust from my jazzmaster vibrato plate - worked perfectly and left no scratches
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited July 2017
    Make sure to thoroughly tape off the pickups if you're going to remove any metal, and especially when using wire wool with the bridge still attached. Vacuum the area and use the tape to dab around when finished.

Maybe add a smidgen of clear paste wax to the affected area when you're done?

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    Soak it in coca-cola.
    Someone else said white vinegar. I've drunk plenty of coke over the years so I dread to think what it's done to my innards...
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4918
    scarry67 said:
    Someone else said white vinegar. I've drunk plenty of coke over the years so I dread to think what it's done to my innards...
    It really works! I had some old rusty jack sockets and bunged them in a cup of Coke - they came up with a nice flat metal finish.

As for drinking Coke - it helps clean the rust off your innards!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pete_BPete_B Frets: 0
    Ethanoic acid(vinegar) will remove rust quite well, but better at it is Ethanedioic acid, this is also known as Oxalic acid. You probably get this from ebay, but the easiest way of getting it is from your greengrocer.
    Pop to the shops, buy some rhubarb, stick it in a blender, then pop your rusty item in the mush, leave it a while then wash it off.

Now that's a creative solution. (And eco-friendly.)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72324
    This is 2017. No-one takes rust *off* anything now. They pay to have it put on!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    And it's killing rhubarb sales!