Thorpy Veteran Owners

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30888
edited July 2017 in FX
As there's so few of us, I'd be interested in others' view on this behemoth of a pedal.

I have rebuilt my rig into a bigger board and smaller rack recently- that allows me to use the Vet a lot more (pain to switch sides when it's in a rack)

So, after much thought, and at the prospect of inflating the Major's ego further, if I exclude the notion that everything I do is aimed at Gilmour tones, I have declared it the finest distortion I have ever bloody well heard in my life. (NB, the Vet will nail Meddle and DSOTM tones- but the Cornish muff era- different beast)

The dynamics and seperation are towering.

The sparkle and harmonics floor me.

The grit is ridiculous and is the clean up on the volume knob.

There's so many tones in there it's frightening- you can even do lo-gain jazz if you are so inclined.

And, power- it's nuts, loads of it.

How's others finding them? Am I over egging this,?

Blown away by the thing.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    Well I want one if that counts?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I love treble boosters and I've amassed quite a few over the years but strangely, I've never tried fuzz into them. I'll have to give it a go.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    shaunm said:
    Well I want one if that counts?
    Shaun, next time you're recording, you're welcome to borrow mine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sassafras said:
    I love treble boosters and I've amassed quite a few over the years but strangely, I've never tried fuzz into them. I'll have to give it a go.
    it really is 3 pedals in one. The only minor criticism I'd have is if you set side one and 2 to your faves, adding them together isn't always the blend of the two pedals you'd choose, but that applies to all 2 sided gain pedals in my experience.

The Treble boost side set lowish (not too low) really sounds good into a a tube based OD pedal too.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    Go on, rub it in why don't you.. and how about giving us a paper cut and pouring lemon juice on it just for good measure!
    Not that I'm jealous of course ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    I actually used mine as a clean boost slight break up... and it sounded epic
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    edited July 2017
    Since getting my new guitar with different pots. Pots that have a much ch better taper on the volume for example. I can have the vet on most of the time because I can clean up very well. Using the volume I can now go subtle break up to face melting gain. Never had a pedal that could do that so well or a guitar tbh. Kicking in the booster for that lifting solo is brilliant. Other than my Warthog which I mainly use as a low gain boost pedal the Veteran has become my main dirt pedal. I can see myself sells myself selling the Warthog one day though as I don't think I'll need / use it much

Basically I love me be too @Gassage ;;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    To Ben honest I'm still not convinced by mine but that more down to the sounds I want rather than the sounds it makes - as a low gain gritty edgy sound, it's great and the boost does a nice job of supplying a ton of boost.   
    I was hoping for a more singing, sustaining fuzz - EJ style  and I'm not getting that in a way I like so I'll add something something else eventually.  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    @John_P to you should try the Skreddy lunar module, it's designed for smooth lead tones.

The other way to do it is to run your fuzz into a smooth flat drive set to relatively low gain, then slightly crack back the volume control (ideally with a treble bleed mod) if its too woofy. 
    You could try an odr-1 or such, the voodoo labs guy uses a Giggity to do the same thing for EJ into a clean amp; replicate the effect of a Marshall's gain and mild crunch. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    Anyone compared one to a Sunlion?
    John_P said:
    To Ben honest I'm still not convinced by mine but that more down to the sounds I want rather than the sounds it makes - as a low gain gritty edgy sound, it's great and the boost does a nice job of supplying a ton of boost.   
    I was hoping for a more singing, sustaining fuzz - EJ style  and I'm not getting that in a way I like so I'll add something something else eventually.  
    I get that. The Muffroom is the way forward.

• mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    @John_P if you were looking to move the veteran on to raise some funds for a muffroom/fallout cloud then you know, I suppose I could squeeze a veteran onto my board, if I really had to.........
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 941
    edited February 2022
    @gassage ; I know this is an old thread, but is that the silicon version you're rocking (i'm guessing after such a glowing review you still own it? )? I know germanium typically cleans up better, but with all things considered I'm wondering how well the silicon version performs this function. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5148
    I’ve currently got a GE Veteran and have had the SI version side by side….it is pretty close but the GE won the day….I am biased though as I have most of the Thorpy drives. The GE is so majestic and just makes your amp come alive….