New Gibson Burstdriver

What's Hot
RabsRabs Frets: 2602
in Guitar tFB Trader

Built in effects.. Is it 1990 again?   ;)

A Custom Shop Les Paul Standard exhibits the finest in materials, construction and historical accuracy, making it one of the best sounding and playing electric guitars on the planet. Additionally, the innovative new Gibson Custom Burstdriver provides players built-in sonic expansion capabilities. Essentially a high-end analog overdrive pedal built into the backplate of the guitar, the Burstdriver is engaged with a quick tap of the push/push tone knob. A simple twist can transform the dry signal into anything from a fat clean boost to a warm, thick overdrive all the way to a snarling distortion. The effect is entirely true bypass and the level, tone, and gain controls can be adjusted using a guitar pick. The Gibson Custom Burstdriver Les Paul Standard is your new secret sonic weapon!

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/Custom/Burstdriver™-Les-Paul-Standard-Lightly-Figured.aspx

http://i.imgur.com/E34AFjG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Pi7kuqC.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ibisibis Frets: 8
    FFS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • StormshadowGuitarsStormshadowGuitars Frets: 1215
    tFB Trader
    Since his retirement from Politics is David Blunkett working at Gibson now, installing battery boxes??
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    edited July 2017
    In fairness, I don't think this is a terrible idea.

it should be available as an upgrade option, no more than $200 to put it in line with a high quality overdrive pedal (Assuming it offers a quality overdrive sound).

in fact, if you could buy a kit to convert a normal les paul I am sure they would sell a few 
    Actually, forget everything I said.  I just looked at the backplate pic.

is that really the best alignment they could do?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    How can a company of this fame get something so so wrong?

It defies comprehension and I'm serious.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Unlike some of the other features on Gibsons recently, this one makes sense. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    In fairness, I don't think this is a terrible idea.

it should be available as an upgrade option, no more than $200 to put it in line with a high quality overdrive pedal (Assuming it offers a quality overdrive sound).

in fact, if you could buy a kit to convert a normal les paul I am sure they would sell a few 

Yeah I partly jest...  As long as its a good quality sound (and executed well) who cares if its on the floor or in your guitar...  In fact I cant talk as I myself have a small kit for that for one of my builds..  I just haven't dared use it yet 

But also as usual what Gibson expect you to pay for the privilege is just silly.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7350
    You realise that the plates opposite sides aren't parallel? It can only line up with one of them... 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017
    TimmyO said:
    You realise that the plates opposite sides aren't parallel? It can only line up with one of them... 
    the two people to point out the alignment have both made les paul style guitars, so I am guessing we both do.

i still would have put it in line with the edge it was closest to.  Or battery aligned with bottom edge and controls aligned with top edge.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Does Gibson have a long history of making top quality effects?
    Sassafras said:
    Does Gibson have a long history of making top quality effects?
    They have a history of buying tech from others... like tronical 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Not exactly building on their strength are they? FFS you'd think Henry would have learnt by now that Gibson and daft gimmicks don't mix. 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Doesn't look too easy to adjust on the fly, especially if you don't use a pick.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    If you're going to shove unneeded electronics into a classic guitar - do it to a semi-hollow Eric Johnson Strat. It'll fit through the F hole....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:

Yeah agreed... Id have made it easier to adjust.. But I guess they want to keep the classic look...

A cool place would be under the pickguard like Page has buttons there on one of his LPs...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    It feels like an "upgrade" no-one was asking for, but presumably it doesn't hamper the guitar's performance as a regular Les Paul... and it looks like a very nice Les Paul, if you can afford it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Rabs said:
    Sassafras said:

Yeah agreed... Id have made it easier to adjust.. But I guess they want to keep the classic look...

The best place would be under the pickguard like Page has buttons there on one of his LPs...

They could have done thumb wheels on the edge of the guard like many arch tops have, but I think I prefer their solution.  
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    1990? I used to lust after these in my mum's Kay's catalogue in 1979!

Ha, yeah, its hardly a new thing..  But do you remember the micro switch phase... That seemed like the mid 80s early 90s in my mind... But then its all becoming a big sort of blur now  ;)
    edited July 2017
    I expected that to be NSFW from your comment

This may reflect on my Kay's experience from the 90's
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom