LP historic used prices

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15956
edited July 2017 in Guitar

Is there much of a difference guys between a 2014 LP 58 and a 2015 or 16 True Historic 58

you got a ballpark figure for both these years?

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    2014 R8  - About £2200-2500. Not sure about true historics
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    True Historic are a good bit more. Just buy a 2014 as Gibson hit their stride then IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5402
    Agreed - 2013/14 were as good as it gets in terms of the Custom Shop, and there's nothing about the True Historics to justify that extra cash. There simply aren't that many THs out there used as there aren't that many to start with so sellers can demand a premium. Not worth it IMO but ymmv of course. 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15956
    Thanks guys....are the 13s the same spec as the 14s or were the 14s tweaked a little from the previous year?
    tae be or not tae be
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I can vouch for the 2014's, I have had three and currently have a 2014 R4. They are the business, and I have never played a bad one either. Not sure what changed between 2013 and 2014 but I think it was very minor. As for the TH's, I've played three of those and really didn't rate them them higher than mine, even the much acclaimed finish didn't look or more importantly feel that different.

I sold my 2014 R0 which had a lovely top, for £2500. My R6 got traded at £2400. I think they are very good value at those prices.

Rob
    thanks Rob  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I have had a few 2014 historics and  a couple of 2014 collectors choice models and thought all were good guitars. Don't have the std historics anymore and now have a few true historics that I prefer.
    Are they worth the extra?
    Probably not for the perceived marketing differences, but they were to me as stand alone guitars.

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    My R9 and R7 are both from 2014. Both the best Historics I have had. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Kylef said:
    My R9 and R7 are both from 2014. Both the best Historics I have had. 
    Says the man trying to jack up the prices on guitars he owns.  :)

I think all this model year stuff is ridiculous.  There are good ones and not so good ones in any year.  By all accounts the pickups in the most recent ones are a bit better than the burstbuckers in the older ones, but that apart you just seem to be looking at different plastics.
    edited July 2017
    hootsmon said:
    Thanks guys....are the 13s the same spec as the 14s or were the 14s tweaked a little from the previous year?
    The only thing I can find detail-wise is that they tweaked the pickups every so slightly... but spec-wise they seem virtually identical otherwise. Much bigger changes happened in 2015, and the 2012s previous were different too (one example is Franklin Titebond for the neck/fingerboard on 2012s instead of hide glue which is 50's-authentic - tone is in the hooves, of course).
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if they use titebond, horse hide glue, or unicorn hide glue?
    crunchman said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't care if they use titebond, horse hide glue, or unicorn hide glue?
    It's got 90% of the toanz, innit? The colour of the plastic parts is the other 10%.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    hootsmon said:

Is there much of a difference guys between a 2014 LP 58 and a 2015 or 16 True Historic 58

The salient point is that the new 2017 Custom Shop 'Les Paul Standard' models have the same specs as the '15 and '16 True Historic guitars, which devalues the True Historic models.

R8s from 2013 and 2014 are superior to earlier models because they have better pickups, hide glue construction, aniline dyes, etc. The CS8 models from 2015 have short tenons and poor resale value, while the R8 models from 2016 are as per the 2013/14 guitars but with an R prefix in the serial number that many find undesirable.

R8s from 2013-14 are worth £2,000 to £2,300 in the used market while models from earlier years generally fetch between £1,800 and £2,000.

Brize said:
    hootsmon said:

The salient point is that the new 2017 Custom Shop 'Les Paul Standard' models have the same specs as the '15 and '16 True Historic guitars, which devalues the True Historic models.

R8s from 2013 and 2014 are superior to earlier models because they have better pickups, hide glue construction, aniline dyes, etc. The CS8 models from 2015 have short tenons and poor resale value, while the R8 models from 2016 are as per the 2013/14 guitars but with an R prefix in the serial number that many find undesirable.

R8s from 2013-14 are worth £2,000 to £2,300 in the used market while models from earlier years generally fetch between £1,800 and £2,000.

I don't see what difference hide glue and aniline dyes would make. If cork sniffers do up the price on the more recent ones then I'd buy an earlier one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brize said:
    hootsmon said:

thanks Brize and guys :)
    tae be or not tae be
    Brize said:
    hootsmon said:

^  If the old THs are now the LP Standard custom shop 2017s.....where is the old, top of the range, Historic RI model?
    tae be or not tae be
    crunchman said:

I don't see what difference hide glue and aniline dyes would make. If cork sniffers do up the price on the more recent ones then I'd buy an earlier one.
    I do think the 2013/14 guitars are generally better - they're often more resonant (possibly because of the hide glue) better sounding (the Custom Buckers are better than the Burstbuckers) and feel less sticky. That said, there will of course be dogs from 2013/14 and stellar guitars from earlier years.

One negative issue I often find with Custom Shop Les Pauls from 2012 and later is the rosewoods boards often aren't of a very high grade - they're often dry and/or streaky. This is a shame because I think a Les Paul looks best with a nice dark board.
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Yes, only the dry boards on my 2014 LP CS let them down.  A real shame.  Oiling them doesnlt seem to last long.
    andyoz said:
    Yes, only the dry boards on my 2014 LP CS let them down.  A real shame.  Oiling them doesnlt seem to last long.
    Have you tried this stuff?

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14180
    tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    That said, there will of course be dogs from 2013/14 and stellar guitars from earlier years.

I think that is a very valid statement - Gibson somehow want you to believe that each year it gets better and maybe some later cork sniffing vintage details are more accurate - I would agree that as an overview that the new Custom Buckers possess a 'superior' or more 'desirable' tone than Burstbuckers - But if you can grab an earlier model that has all the mojo you want other than the pick-ups, then £200 or so for a pair of Monty or OX4 pick-ups will correct that

My own Tom Murphy R7 is around 13 years old now but I've not found anything else from a later year that can match it as far as I'm concerned - So judge a guitar on how it feels and plays and make your mind up accordingly - That way you might find a 2014 or 2016 or indeed 2008 that has all the mojo you want

As far as figured tops go, then I've seen great ones from almost any year, be it Historic, Custom Shop or True Historic and remember some like a top that is more subtle anyway

Some will have a negative for models from around the 2012 period with a lam rosewood board, but I've seen a few that still capture all the magical qualities that you want - So depends if you are reading a spec sheet or playing the guitar when you are evaluating them

However I would state that trying to obtain a definitive price scale is awkward as Gibson have produced so many variations of a guitar that still utilises the same product name - ie Gibson R9 Les Paul - but Historic, Custom Shop, Collectors Choice, True Historic etc etc