Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Clarky and the Helix

What's Hot

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Clarky said:
    my biggest concern is having to change preset mid-song: double tap [bank then select preset]
    cos that's certainly not something I could live with.. not with the sort of crap I play live..
    Why would you have to do that? Preset mode lets you access up to 8 presets instantly, with one switch. Or if you put your presets in order, the UP/DOWN switches can be set to preset up/down (or snapshot up/down) and access all 128 presets in a setlist sequentially.

You can also assign Command Center messages to recall any setlist, preset, and or snapshot in the unit, so with a short MIDI cable, any preset can go to any other preset.
    I've tried 'song' methods in other units before..
    it's good provided that you don't make a mistake..
    I'll have to give this some thought..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    Clarky said:
    my biggest concern is having to change preset mid-song: double tap [bank then select preset]
    cos that's certainly not something I could live with.. not with the sort of crap I play live..
    Why would you have to do that? Preset mode lets you access up to 8 presets instantly, with one switch. Or if you put your presets in order, the UP/DOWN switches can be set to preset up/down (or snapshot up/down) and access all 128 presets in a setlist sequentially.

You can also assign Command Center messages to recall any setlist, preset, and or snapshot in the unit, so with a short MIDI cable, any preset can go to any other preset.
    He's maxing the DSP - there will be latency silence as it loads.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    But with Native he wouldn't run out of DSP in unlimited mode. Unless I've misunderstood it?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I think it's only got the same number of block slots though?
    Sporky said:
    But with Native he wouldn't run out of DSP in unlimited mode. Unless I've misunderstood it?
    as with all modellers.. changing preset takes time for the DSP's to load
    and ambient tails get chopped

this is why I try as best I can to fit the entire needs of a single song into a single preset
    in the VG-99, there was one song that needed 2 presets.. 
    I managed to overcome it by finding the optimum moment to change preset
    in this case both presets had the riff tone in common, the riff tone is bone dry so no tails
    there was a moment in that song during the transition from the 2nd verse to the 2nd chorus when I could make the switch invisible because of what I was playing at that moment 

in the case of the Helix I'd make all my presets as best I can and then find out in the set where I can make the change..
    I will absolutely avoid mid-song preset changes unless I have absolutely no choice..
    and then in those circumstances as previously described, go to some lengths to find the optimum location to do it..
    this means I need to be in snapshot mode.. which means hitting bank then preset to switch..
    I'm not fond of 'song mode' or placing presets in sequences due to the lack of flexibility..
    make a mistake and you're lost for a moment.. and then it'll take too long to get back on track..
    the stuff I have to do live with hands, feet and mind is stuff enough… lmao

from a performance standpoint it has to be easy, quick and reliable
    so… all that painstaking effort in the config pays back by making the performance side of things work well and intuitively

I think it's only got the same number of block slots though?
    and the same number of paths.. which is in itself a bit limiting..
    but as I learn the unit I think it's not something I can't overcome with a little creativity
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Sporky said:
    What is this unlimited mode?
    Cabicular said:
    Sporky said:
    Native usually limits the DSP to the same amount as the hardware units.

If you have a monster PC you can turn off those limits. So not really unlimited - but only limited by your PC.
    So if you've got an i7 7700 overclocked and all the Ram in the universe you can go nuts!
    Stood on stage at an open air festival with a laptop and a guitar jacked into an audio interface

hmmmm 

it's just not rock'n'roll lmao
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Clarky said:
    Stood on stage at an open air festival with a laptop and a guitar jacked into an audio interface

hmmmm 

it's just not rock'n'roll lmao

Not even with something like this?

Just think of the screensavers you could use as miniature light shows.  lol

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Clarky said:
    Nice fly rig. You could always have a selection of 4x12s in your rider.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Cabicular said:
    Sporky said:

If you have a monster PC you can turn off those limits. So not really unlimited - but only limited by your PC.
    So if you've got an i7 7700 overclocked and all the Ram in the universe you can go nuts!
    I've seen this posted before but I can't see any mention of it in the manual or the specs
    A quick look around the plug in doesn't show it as an option anywhere either.
    how do you enable it?
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Cabicular said:
    Cabicular said:
    Sporky said:

I've seen this posted before but I can't see any mention of it in the manual or the specs
    A quick look around the plug in doesn't show it as an option anywhere either.
    how do you enable it?
    I'm fairly sure it's not available yet and it's just something they're talking about adding later on.
    Ah - there's been a lot of FB chat about it - I thought it was here already
    Phew 
    thought I was losing my marbles! 
  • Hardware Compatibility Mode—or rather, the ability to turn Hardware Compatibility Mode off—is forthcoming.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hardware Compatibility Mode—or rather, the ability to turn Hardware Compatibility Mode off—is forthcoming.
    Very cool feature 
    Roland said:
    Clarky said:
    A lappy sat on top of a wall of Marshalls..
    I think this may actually be against the law 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    It's only a matter of time...I remember when I saw the USB port on the front of a H&K Coreblade thinking "well, that's not very rock, is it?". Now I'm going all digital. Using massive transformers and valves is starting to feel a bit...well, environmentally unfriendly...I'm just getting old.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    edited August 2017
    Clarky said:
    Roland said:
    Clarky said:
    A lappy sat on top of a wall of Marshalls..
    I think this may actually be against the law 

Surely no more against the law than having a wall of Marshalls - none connected - and using a 1x12" offstage? Why not a wall of FRFR's - on poles?