Finally decided which is my favourite guitar (of those I own)

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
edited July 2017 in Guitar
A while ago I think there was a thread asking members which was the favourite of their guitars that they gravitate too.  Kind of like wanting to love all your kids the same, as daft as it might sound I think I felt a little guilty about picking one out - I mean I like all my guitars for different reasons, in that each one has its own charms. But I've finally decided that, values aside, I do have a favourite that's my main 'go to' squeeze.

It's my 2006 Gibson SG Standard in Heritage cherry.  

Why?

Great tone, good sustain, that's perfect for rock & blues, but also it cleans up really well when the volume controls are rolled off, and it sounds very warm even through a clean amp.  There's just something about the tone that sounds great through any amp. I prefer the two vol/two tone layout to eg my PRS Cu24 or Fenders, because I can set the neck p/up cleaner and kick in a full bridge p/up. It's lightweight, has great feel with really easy access to the top frets, a nice low action, and although the neck feels a little chunkier than some other guitars I have, it's very comfortable and unlike some SG's there's no neck dive. And because I bought it used, the guitar and case aren't pristine so I feel really comfortable with it in that I'm not worried should it get a knock.   

The strange thing is why it took me so long to discover the virtues of an SG - I came to it very late in life and only bought it in Dec 2012.  But yup, definitely my favourite go to guitar.   
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    They're even better with P90s.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    But not a pretty guitar though? :)
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Very pretty, I think. SG=Sexy Goddess! 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    I love SG's - aesthetically they are great looking guitars. Pretty might not be the correct word but they are 'right'.

Nikko said:
    Very pretty, I think. SG=Sexy Goddess! 
    Horny and well contoured?
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • FrizerFrizer Frets: 45
    Closest thing Gibson has to a working man's geetar.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Give it two weeks. A different guitar will be favourite. :)
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Yeah @Iamnobody they give me the double horn... if you know what I mean :) 
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited July 2017
    Got to love an SG. Especially a Jr which I've been gas'ing for for a while now. I have a standard which I love but wish I got a black one, cherry red is boring. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Give it two weeks. A different guitar will be favourite. :)
    Nope, thought about this for a while - SG Standard it is.  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But not a pretty guitar though? :)
    I think it was the looks that initially put me off - I tend to prefer rounded contours and not 'sharp' horned guitars (which is why an Explorer doesn't appeal to me or some of those very angular metal guitars that eg BC Rich make).  But it's more 'compact' than it looks and I now think there's something very 'classic' about it.  Probably fair to say that it's not the best looking guitar I have but I certainly don't think of it as ugly in any way.  When it comes to guitars looking 'sexy' it's hard to beat the curves of a Stratocaster, and I tend to think of guitars like my Les Paul, Cu24 & Sheraton as more 'handsome' rather than pretty.  My Telecaster is probably the most 'ordinary' looking guitar I have, but to be fair it was designed that way i.e. to be a basic, working guitar.   
    Sassafras said:
    Sadly no, at least not IMO.  I've played a double P90 SG and a double P90 LP reissue.  They were both noisier, which was annoying, but whilst I thought the tone was OK it didn't make me go 'wow' - I much prefer the h/buckers in my Standard & LP Custom.  I suspect P90's are probably a bit like Marmite in that you either love them or you don't. I have a Seymour Duncan P90 neck p/up in my Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM, and it's fine and makes an interesting change - but I wouldn't want another P90 equipped guitar.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    I used to think SGs and Teles were ugly as, but they both grew on me, eventually. SGs are great!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited July 2017
    TTBZ said:
    Got to love an SG. Especially a Jr which I've been gas'ing for for a while now. I have a standard which I love but wish I got a black one, cherry red is boring. 
    Sg Jrs are great. My main guitar is a TV yellow one. Great fun to play. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    +1

2016 SG Standard here. Sweet as a nut, and as cute as a button.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I used to think they were really ugly brutes but Robby Krieger managed to get some good sounds out of them and that made me think they couldn't be all bad.
    Very glad I gave them a chance. Them and the DC Juniors are the only Gibsons I like. Some of their semi-acoustics aren't bad either.
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    SGs are awesome - with humbuckers or P90s. I'm totally with you re: the versatility. With good humbuckers they clean up really nice and the sligthly lighter or "airier" tone can be less overwhelming than an LP. If I had to go down to just one guitar it would be probably be either an SG or a Tele (which is weird as I wouldn't necessarily name either as my favourite guitar in isolation so to speak, funny how that works).
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • YasawasYasawas Frets: 27
    edited July 2017
    I played nothing but Fender (including copies) for the first 19 years I played guitar, then finally tried an SG and knew within minutes I was buying it. I'm an idiot but still, at least I have a nice guitar I like to play now. As much as I love my Jag the SG is just perfect for me - light, good size and having grown up on single coils I still find humbuckers a pleasing novelty years after purchase.
  • I had a 61 Reissue that I sold. I'm not sure regret is the right word for it because it was that or my ESP Eclipse and I do love that ESP but it was a really nice guitar for sure. I'd love another one at some point.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 831
    edited July 2017
    Voxman said:
    Sassafras said:
    Sadly no, at least not IMO.  I've played a double P90 SG and a double P90 LP reissue.  They were both noisier, which was annoying, but whilst I thought the tone was OK it didn't make me go 'wow' - I much prefer the h/buckers in my Standard & LP Custom.  I suspect P90's are probably a bit like Marmite in that you either love them or you don't. I have a Seymour Duncan P90 neck p/up in my Yamaha Pacifica 611VFM, and it's fine and makes an interesting change - but I wouldn't want another P90 equipped guitar.
    Really?

P90s are just great at everything except high gain (as they do get noisy being a SC design).

I love them more than any other PU - and why I have 3 loaded in my most expensive guitar.  

When it comes to SGs though - I cant stand them.  Hate the look - short pointy horns just dont work for me.  Ive not fond a neck I like either - they seem very wide.

Each to their own though - I hate LPs as well .....