New Mr Big album - Defying Gravity

What's Hot
NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
edited July 2017 in Music
Having always been a fan of the band, and Billy & Paul's playing in particular, I picked this up yesterday as it was only released a couple of days ago.

Gave it a spin in the car this morning. Overall I like it; the production/mix seems to have compressed the sound of the guitar and bass slightly, but Eric's singing and the band's harmonies are as good as ever (though Eric obviously doesn't go for those high note he once did, understandably). The title track is superb, and I love their cheeky nod to their only #1 hit - called 1992.

Certainly worth the tenner I scored it for in HMV. Recommended. I hope to go and see them on tour here in November.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Is the album title a description of all the cosmetic surgery they've had? :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Booked tickets to see them in Wolverhampton, really looking forward to it  
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    Booked tickets to see them in Wolverhampton, really looking forward to it  
    Yes I'm looking at Wolverhampton too. Saw them in Bristol in 2011 and London in 2009 - great both times.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22740
    edited July 2017
    octatonic said:
    Is the album title a description of all the cosmetic surgery they've had?
    Eric Martin has always looked very youthful, but I've just googled some recent pictures and his face does appear a bit immobile... is that why he can't hit the high notes any more?

Didn't Pat Torpey have to retire due to Parkinsons or something like that?
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    got this a few weeks ago (didn't want to wait, so got a Japanese iTunes account!). Like it a lot better than the previous two after they reformed; thought those had some decent songs but were a bit stodgy. This one is great, and I love the riff on Mean to Me  =)

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036

Philly_Q said:
    octatonic said:
    Is the album title a description of all the cosmetic surgery they've had?
    Eric Martin has always looked very youthful, but I've just googled some recent pictures and his face does appear a bit immobile... is that why he can't hit the high notes any more?

Didn't Pat Torpey have to retire due to Parkinsons or something like that?
    yep, he's got Parkinsons but he still joins in with them a bit on percussion, poor guy :(

Not sure what's up with Eric Martin's face. Sometimes it looks normal, but in some shots it does look a bit odd! Guessing it might just be makeup, but I'm probably wrong!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    I've only watched the two YouTube video singles so far. It was nice to see the Icestroyer again in the one, but the songs didn't immediately grab me. Maybe it'll come in time, they'll be in town later in the year, that would be my third time.
    their only #1 hit - called 1992.

That's a bit misleading. Shine was #1 in Japan. But yes, a US number one is a life-changing enough event to write a song about.

yep, he's got Parkinsons but he still joins in with them a bit on percussion, poor guy :(

To say nothing of still providing those vocal harmonies! He's a much better singer than Sheehan or Gilbert.

The Double Stop podcast came back from the dead (again) with an interview with Eric Martin about this album, and I realised he was far older than I'd thought, at 60.