LP GAS: Decisions, decisions... *edit* Now NGD

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
edited August 2017 in Guitar

**NGD added to page 2**

Given the choice, and a fickle personality, which one of the following would you get?

- Les Paul standard/ traditional (used)
- R7/8 (used)
- Custom-build
- (high-quality) kit-build
- other

I'm well aware of the risks and pitfalls of custom / kit builds, but I'm also very fickle/fussy, so re-sale is a useful factor.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    I played a used R7 a few weeks ago that was exceptional. There was a used Standard in the shop as well - played back to back there was absolutely no comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdamskiAdamski Frets: 1278
    I think the 'R' Les Pauls, especially the newer ones with the custom buckers, are a league apart from a standard or traditional - saying that, I have played the odd 'normal' one that has come close and maybe with a pickup change may even sound just as good - I think a lot of the 'buckers put in standards and trads are way too hot for that open, clear and woody tone that I associate with a good PAF. 

Custom build has a lot of pit falls but I guess something like a Feline might offer a more sure thing in terms of quality. 

If if it were me I'd get a used R9 if you can stretch to it, or an R7-8 if you like the bigger neck 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I'd say if you have possible resale in mind then you want the Gibson badge.    
    Then it comes down to want you want to spend - look out for a R from recent years for a good price and choose based on neck and aesthetics or go a little older and find a cheap standard for around 1K that you can enjoy and move on when the time comes.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7416

- R7/8 (used)

Red ones are better. 
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Depends what you play, want it for really.
    If you just want a LP I personally would go for the best Gibson you can afford.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    R7/R8 without a shadow of doubt.

The Trads and recent Standards with coil taps etc for me take away what a Les Paul is all about.

Thicker Neck the better too IMO

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Honestly any advice you get will be blanket advice based on opinions and statistics.
    Play loads, pick the one you can't put down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Just go to a shop that has a good selection and buy the best one. Pickups and hardware can be changed at the end of the day but you'll know when you're playing a good one (and what weight you can accept as some will be heavy).
  • welshboyo said:
    R7/R8 without a shadow of doubt.

The Trads and recent Standards with coil taps etc for me take away what a Les Paul is all about.

Thicker Neck the better too IMO

Current Traditional's don't have any of that, just the standards.
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    Have you considered a high end MIJ? 
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    @Rebar - I have, and may well get a cheaper one (or a G Studio) as a stop-gap if I decide to go down the R8 or fully-custom route.

I haven't played any R series in quite a while, I'll find some time over the summer to try some back-to-back with some Trads & Standards though. I'm particular about are the weight (8.5lb or less) and preferably with as chunky a neck as possible, so the two together makes it a tricky search.

I'd ideally like a Les Paul Custom in black, but they're often far too weighty for me to put up with. This vid always makes me want a burst though:

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    Used Trad LP every time, the best vfm "proper" LP you can buy, swap out the pickups as the Classic 57 57+ combo isn't to everyone's tastes
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    I remember really liking the earlier ones of them, it's been close to 10 years since I last tried one properly though!
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I'd also give a 2017 classic a try
    ^ 60s neck profile, I won't get on with them :(
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Help at hand.. .buy my R8 in the classifieds.
    It's amazing..Jon
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    ^ 60s neck profile, I won't get on with them :(

Ah sorry didn't realise they didn't offer a choice of profiles, shame as they are excellent guitars this year.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Terry Morgan surely 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'm biased so will say the LP Standard, I've got a '04 so it's pre-chambering but has the trad weight relief so isn't too heavy. I've also swapped the Burstbucker pickups for OX4 low winds and they have transformed the sound fantastically! It's everything I've wanted in a guitar now. Go and play as many Les Paul's as you possibly can, it's the only way to make sure you get the right one, and trust me you'll know when you've found it.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    A friend bought a Feline and it is utterly top notch. A lot nicer than a Gibson Custom. My Les Paul alike is also amazing but don't wait 10 years for one.