Yahoo deactivated my email :(

What's Hot
WezVWezV Frets: 16655
I woke up this morning* and my main email account is just gone with no obvious way to recover, no customer service lines to call etc.

looking online there are loads of reports of this, but no solutions

apparently they close inactive accounts (nope),  or due to a breach in TOS (might be nice to let me know what)

anyone had it happen?  Anyone got it back?

*modern day blues
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Did you try to reset the password?  I know it's been deactivated, but try to use the reset password option to see if you can get it back.   

Was it a BT Yahoo account or just Yahoo?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16655
    It was a sky account.  I just get a not recognised message whenever I enter the email or recovery phone number.

i have tried calling sky and they have an automated message regarding email issues today.  Can't actually get through to anyone yet
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6386
    Sounds like it's not just you then ......
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Yahoo email has been absolutely crap of late. I've had various issues with my account over the last few weeks...the site being down, error codes etc. I've always been able to get into it eventually though. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    People still use yahoo mail? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3582
    my sky/yahoo worked this morning fwiw.

TimmyO said:

Only about 225 million people worldwide
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    TimmyO said:

Yup.
    TimmyO said:
    Yes BT email also uses Yahoo servers.  
    TimmyO said:
    Yes BT email also uses Yahoo servers.  

And this is the issue - it was a SKy email account I had years ago.  At some point they switched to Yahoo which was fine for a while.   I have left sky, but checked I could keep the email before I did.  They told me they have to keep active email account open even when you are no longer a customer.    I carried on using it for convienience.

I have so much history on there I feel kinda lost without it.  Similar to the recent issues with photobucket.

I have a wezvenables.co.uk email address  which I can access.  I have used both over the years so password recovery for all sites could be a bit of painful experience if this is not sorted

edited July 2017

a slight update on the website:

Sky Yahoo! mail

We are aware of an issue currently affecting Sky Yahoo! email accounts. Our teams are working hard to fix this. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Date reported: 24th July, 07:00

Yahoo teams continue to work on a resolution for the on going sign-in/recognition issue. This is being treated as a high priority issue and all the appropriate teams are working hard to fix the fault. Next update due 14:00.

Update: 24th July, 12:18

Further work ongoing with Yahoo to resolve sign in and ID recognition issues. Next update 12:00.

Update: 24th July, 10:48

https://servicestatus.sky.com/#/uk/issues ;

ah, some news.   Defintiely not just me.   That's kinda reassuring at this point as I was starting to feel like Michael Douglas in The Game

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/832267/Yahoo-Mail-Down-Email-Not-Working

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have a  BT email address which works via Yahoo. It's up and down like a whore's draws .. totally unreliable. I have a Microsoft Outlook.com account which is fast, reliable and free.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    I've been using Yahoo e-mail for many years. Never had a problem with it. In fact it stops more spam shite than my work e-mail does, and that's with paying for the security programme.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12347
    Fretwired said:
    I have a  BT email address which works via Yahoo. It's up and down like a whore's draws .. totally unreliable. I have a Microsoft Outlook.com account which is fast, reliable and free.
    Yeah that's the same as mine. It was fine when it was just BT, but since the merge with Yahoo a few years back it's been crap. They keep altering the page format too...no idea why? 
    I just hope these issues aren't the result of a data breach they are keeping quiet about.
    I think thats quite likely actually.

Still not much in the news,  but reports on the Sky forum suggest its going to be down for a few days
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932

BT have previously closed both of my emails down with no notice

The first was talk21, which bt bought out and then closed down. B*stards.

No way of getting anything out of them. These were legacy accounts, set up when 1. Talk21 was free and 2. I had a BT internet account with free emails. They only honour the accounts for so long then one day, gone with no warning.

Caused me loads of grief, esp with any on line log in's, if you 'forgot password' it sends the reset to the closed BT account and that's it dead forever. Make sure you don't do that, keep guessing.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    edited July 2017
    Sky told me I could keep this account for life when I left them.  I think they deactivate if unused for a year or you use the account for dodgy stuff.

but it seems like it's half of all sky yahoo accounts affected.  The suggestion is that yahoo deactivated them due to a breach, and sky need to manually reactivate .  People who have got through to the call centres have been fobbed off with 72hr Response times
    And I am back in after sending a few messages through Facebook.

the hardest bit was actually finding a way to speak to someone