New Gibson Electric Guitars - any fresh ideas ?

What's Hot
guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
edited July 2017 in Guitar tFB Trader
So we've seen a number of new ideas posted onto FB recently regarding new Gibson models and ideas - some okay - some more crazy than others - Not sure where Henry gets his inspiration from - So let's guess what will be next - sensible ideas or Henry ideas accepted - Yes many of us would just love them to do what is expected of them, but let's try and be fresh and spend a few mins in Henry's chair

So could be a Flying V with nylon strings - a LP Custom with 3 P90's - a 335 with 3 x P90's (ES5 style) - Or what about a range of models with an Ikea style natural finish and they supply you with the dye for a DIY finish 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I'm still waiting for the True True Truest (Serirously the most True this time) Museum Grade Historic Les Paul. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The sensible idea for me is we already have the Les Paul standard as the one they are willing to change each year, so they should be brave and admit their failings.

The next standard should come with the neck joint from the HP range and a corrected headstock design. So either a shallower angle or inserts or a combination of both. It'd probably be the best selling LP that year.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    edited July 2017 tFB Trader
    sorry any ideas based on someone's christian name who makes 'Chocolate Orange' with a surname the same as a great Welsh fly half from around 50 years ago are not accepted !!!!!!!!!!!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534

An ES guitar in-between the size of a 339 and a 335 - around 15" to 15.5" lower bout.

Make the LP Junior in both double cut and single cut forms readily available, not at the daft unfinished end and not at the daft top end. Around £1K properly built and I'm sure they would fly out the door.

Make the HP models concerned with "fixing" a few of the vintage Gibson foibles - i.e. strengthened headstock/less angle, more extreme weight relief on the LP etc. rather than techno-gimmicks.

• Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    As above I would like to see them put the burst thing to bed once and for all. So right woods right construction etc etc.

that aside Gibson could do with embracing the modern rock and metal player so a Gibson take on Black Machine or Ibanez and a concerted marketing campaign could bring them sales.

i would also like them to setup a small team and bring back Valley Arts a brand they own that has languished all bar a few tele's for the Nashville guys. Bringing the VA custom would get my vote as long as they got their act together.

other than that a Chet Atkins V with nylon strings is probably what we get. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    Resurrect Kramer properly. Get a US facility to make the premium models.... even a custom shop like Charvel. Outsource the cooking models (a la Pro Mod) to Japan. There's a massive market of VH/Sunset Strip shredders who love the brand and would wet themselves. Me included.

Do the whole new products thing through different brands - nobody wants a Cybertronic Trini Lopez with Kaos Pad and Moog shit. They need to get the core Historic LP/SG/ES thing bang on then move on too. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14036
    tFB Trader
    Resurrect Kramer properly. Get a US facility to make the premium models.... 
    interesting in that the original 'USA' Kramer Guitars were not made in the USA but assembled in the USA - most of the wood work came from ESP in pre-cut bodies and necks
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh forgot. Stop doing model years. He your core range of LP, SG, ES right and stick with it. Then later over the top interesting stuff that comes and goes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    edited July 2017
    I think it's an interesting question. Many pundits view Gibson (and all the other major manufactures) obsession with the past as a serious negative. On the flip side, if they try new ideas and attempt 'cutting edge' then they also get shot down. It's finny how Ford perform a facelift every few years, but they don't offer their older models as a 'Vintage Correct' range. Nor do they drive them through a hedge for you and add a premium the more dented it is. It basically comes down to us as consumers and 'us' are a pretty funny bunch! I should know - i've met a lot of you in a darkened corner of a service station!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12649
    A PRS-alike double cut with a Floyd Rose trem, curly maple top, a range of see-through colours (inlcuding a Tomato Soup burst), "Dragnet" pickups, a 'sour' switch and a rotary pickup selector. The name of the new guitar will be the "Fucku Paul"
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Make an SG 2 to compete with PRS S2s: make it slightly offset for a more stable neck joint, 3 piece neck for strength, a slightly thicker body & straight string pull over the headstock.

Basically a lighter Revstar with a thin finish. With a Gibson logo it's be more successful.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Agree re LP Junior. Single/Double cut, P90(s), nice colours, few nice appointments, but around the £1000 mark with a decent case.
    Make an SG 2 to compete with PRS S2s: make it slightly offset for a more stable neck joint, 3 piece neck for strength, a slightly thicker body & straight string pull over the headstock.

Basically a lighter Revstar with a thin finish. With a Gibson logo it's be more successful.

That would be like Gibson admitting to all of it's design flaws.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    edited July 2017
    Simple really.
    1. Accept that the guitar-buying market is mainly conservative and like what they know
    2. Realise that you've got it made, because you own the designs for a large part of what they know
    3. Sort out your manufacturing processes so you can produce consistent quality and rebuild customer trust
    4. Establish your core model range - LPs, SGs, ESs - and the variation on those themes
    5. Determine the price points of your market, and provide options on the core model at each price point (£500, £1000, £2000 and £if-you-have-to-ask) that don't compromise on quality
    6. Stop the entirely spurious model year approach that just results in last-years-model sell offs and undermines the brand
    However, whilst that's a fairly simple business model that would work for Gibson in a normal state, their debt burden changes the game.  I'm not sure that it would generate enough short-term cash to be viable for long enough for the new model to be established.

Which leaves the only other realistic option ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27345
    ... Invent a time machine, take a trip back to 1980 and give Paul R Smith the "Head of Design and Production" job, with all the authority he needs.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    Try to come up with more elegant watch designs.

Image result for gibson watch

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    a LP Custom with 3 P90's 
    Already made

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I agree that the Kramer band has the most potential, after all FMIC is doing well with 3 shred-friendly brands. EVH, Jackson and Charvel

Kramer have lost their highest profile brand ambassador, now that Satchel has switched to Charvel.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    Just develop a range in the same vein as the Mexican Fenders. Nearly £2k for a "Standard" production model is too rich for many people's blood.

You should be able to get a LP, SG, V, Explorer, ESXXX etc for around £500-£600.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11414
    Bidley said:
    Just develop a range in the same vein as the Mexican Fenders. Nearly £2k for a "Standard" production model is too rich for many people's blood.

You should be able to get a LP, SG, V, Explorer, ESXXX etc for around £500-£600.
    They already have cheaper offerings in that price range.  They have satin finishes and are low on cosmetics but they do have the Gibson name on them.  With all the cut corners though, I'd imagine that the average Mexican Fender is better quality.

A couple of examples here:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SGSS17CHCH3/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-sg-fusion-in-cherry

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/LPTR217FHNH3/solid-body-electric-guitars/gibson-usa-les-paul-tribute-plus-2017-in-faded-honey-burst