New Gibson Electric Guitars - any fresh ideas ?

What's Hot

Comments

• redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    Cut costs by introducing bolt on necks and poly finishes.

Use terms like "ToneBolts(TM)" and "ProPoly(TM)" to pretend they're something special.

Contact Amazon and ask them to keep a warehouse empty for Black Friday.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited July 2017
    Bidley said:
    Just develop a range in the same vein as the Mexican Fenders. Nearly £2k for a "Standard" production model is too rich for many people's blood.

You should be able to get a LP, SG, V, Explorer, ESXXX etc for around £500-£600.

That's what Epiphone are for surely? Also these past 4 or 5 years Gibson's sub £800 range have been the pick of their lineup to be honest with you.

You can buy a Gibson SG/LP faded for less than £600
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    A range like the Fender American Vintage would be good, vintage specs but not CS made.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    dindude said:

Make the LP Junior in both double cut and single cut forms readily available, not at the daft unfinished end and not at the daft top end. Around £1K properly built and I'm sure they would fly out the door.

Make the HP models concerned with "fixing" a few of the vintage Gibson foibles - i.e. strengthened headstock/less angle, more extreme weight relief on the LP etc. rather than techno-gimmicks.

dindude said:
    Oh forgot. Stop doing model years. He your core range of LP, SG, ES right and stick with it. Then later over the top interesting stuff that comes and goes.

You, sir, are a very wise man.

I don't know why they ever got into the whole model year thing, it's like a hole they've dug that they can't get out of.  If they ever do accidentally get something just right, they'll be forced to change it again the next year.

My personal gripe is neck profiles - many potentially attractive guitars are ruled out as far as I'm concerned because they only come with slim-taper/Sixties necks.  I was then going to say it would be confusing if everything came with either a 50s or 60s neck, but maybe it wouldn't be if there weren't so many different models in the first place.

All LP standard use to come with a choice of 50s or 60s neck pre 2008 I think it was 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    A range like the Fender American Vintage would be good, vintage specs but not CS made.
    That would eat into CS sales though, where margins are bigger.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    A range of guitars that look like the originals but have hidden modern additions. For instance carbon rods in the neck to strengthen the neck and the headstock weakness. Vintage look locking tuners. straplocks as standard. Humbuckers that tap but are noise cancelling. Push push- Blower switch.

there are literally tons of things that could be done, that add value, maintain mojo and keep people interested.

the Voodoo series from years ago, appealed massively to me. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    If Gibson just made one that stayed in tune, that would be a start.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Must have got lucky with my 4 then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Cut costs by introducing bolt on necks and poly finishes.

Use terms like "ToneBolts(TM)" and "ProPoly(TM)" to pretend they're something special.

Contact Amazon and ask them to keep a warehouse empty for Black Friday.

Brilliant!
    I've got cash waiting for these "ToneBolts". They sound amazing.
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Fresh ideas. No

If I had 3 Gibson wishes, it would be:
    1. Paul Reed Smith takes control of Gibson.
    2. Non Custom Shop production goes to Mexico.
    3. Historic production numbers slashed.

I realise that small numbers of £20k Historic Les Pauls is controversial but I don't see where else there is to go.
    They have saturated the market and something seems terribly wrong.
    The production videos on youtube show the Historic production line moving at breakneck speed. Almost slap-dash. Is that why we have to play a few in the shop to find one where all  the stars collide?

I am a massive Gibson fan boy and for some reason I think that allows me to attack them without mercy.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22730
    ThorpyFX said:

I often wish I'd bought one, probably the SG.  They looked great (apart from the red skull inlay on the fretboard).  The finish doesn't seem to be at all hardwearing so the relic look is almost unavoidable, but that's OK. 
    Philly_Q said:
    ThorpyFX said:

I often wish I'd bought one, probably the SG.  They looked great (apart from the red skull inlay on the fretboard).  The finish doesn't seem to be at all hardwearing so the relic look is almost unavoidable, but that's OK. 

And they had the sexiest looking case known to man :D
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    underdog said:

See I'm with Telejester, can't get the bloody things to stay in tune and I've had 4 or 5. It must be something to do with the way I play as millions of others, many famous, don't seem to have the same issue.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

Don't forget the performance of the bolts depends on the length. Standing waves and all that technical stuff :)

And don't forget the endless debates about the type of thread - Cut or rolled? Pitch angle? Left or right handed? There's endless scope for customer befuddlement...

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    sorry any ideas based on someone's christian name who makes 'Chocolate Orange' with a surname the same as a great Welsh fly half from around 50 years are not accepted !!!!!!!!!!!
    How about ideas based on a builder that shares his first name with one half of an iconic 70's sit com couple and a surname tributing a historic uk kit car manufacturer???

is that allowed? 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Silverburst Std's. 

Miii with fanned frets, asymmetric neck profile and compound radius. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    dindude said:
    underdog said:

See I'm with Telejester, can't get the bloody things to stay in tune and I've had 4 or 5. It must be something to do with the way I play as millions of others, many famous, don't seem to have the same issue.
    Before I found exactly what I needed in telecasters, I owned a R9 and an R8, neither would stay in tune and as for those gummy and sticky nitro necks, not for me at all.Sold em both and have no regrets.
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    sorry any ideas based on someone's christian name who makes 'Chocolate Orange' with a surname the same as a great Welsh fly half from around 50 years are not accepted !!!!!!!!!!!
    How about ideas based on a builder that shares his first name with one half of an iconic 70's sit com couple and a surname tributing a historic uk kit car manufacturer???
    When the hell were George and Mildred in the guitar business!!!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    Make an SG 2 to compete with PRS S2s: make it slightly offset for a more stable neck joint, 3 piece neck for strength, a slightly thicker body & straight string pull over the headstock.

Basically a lighter Revstar with a thin finish. With a Gibson logo it's be more successful.

They did this year; we all hated them.

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Gibson-USA.aspx?ProductGroup=S_Series&ModelYear=

They really don't seem to be able to win any more - not sure where the group's debt is held, but if there's any way for them to purposefully go bust and look to restart with a smaller operation then that's essentially what we're all asking for, I think?