OPINIONS: Bassbreaker 18/30 or Rivera Pubster-45

erky32erky32 Frets: 49
I'm gigging both these amps at present in a classic 60/70s rock/blues band, and having difficulty in deciding which one to keep, I just wondered if anybody else had gigging experience with either of these?
At home I found the BB18/30 was a mighty sound, so for smaller gigs decided to build in a DIY attenuator (6-12dB cut) which works great at home, but for gigging now I find it is not needed alongside bass & drums. But I find it does easily push into a sweet power drive on the clean channel, with the option of more saturation on the 18w dirty channel. And I find the amp responds so much better to a strat than a humbucker guitar.
Last gig I played I used the Rivera, and it was super - that "Marshall-esque" gritty big bottle growl thru to sweet sustain, gave me the rock sound I like. (both with strat or Gibby)
The Fender amp has a much wider "hi-fi" sound, I suppose very "twin" -like if you add a reverb, I think. ....and with the attenuator will come down to smaller room volumes with full dynamics, .....whereas the Rivera is "rock" on tap at any volume, and a very compact package.
It's a dilemma I need to solve - I like them both, .....but can't justify keeping both of these!!! ....yet!
......so, not asking advice - just interested in opinions!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    I've been in the audience a few times with Rivers (Club/Pub/Chubster) being played and have always been impressed (enough to check out what the amp is)
    Red ones are better. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I'd keep the Rivera.
    Then again, I've never tried a Bassbreaker, I just like Rivera amps.
  • TitchTitch Frets: 45
    +1 for the Rivera
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    I was going to suggest asking @RichardJ as I know he's had both of those amps, but then I saw it was you and I suspect he may have sold them both to you !
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4133
    Keep the Rivera - they're superb amps, hidden gems.
  • erky32erky32 Frets: 49
    DrBob said:
    I was going to suggest asking @RichardJ as I know he's had both of those amps, but then I saw it was you and I suspect he may have sold them both to you !
    ...hey, bang on - how did you guess - what a salesman, subtle but effective!!....it all started when I sold him, out of the blue, my Rockman Acoustic Sim' pedal - since then the scales have tipped since I've bought his Mustang3, H&K 18w combo, T20 Ibanez troubadour, JCA22H, HotRod, BB18/30 & the Rivera .....he's hell of an expensive guy to live nearby!!! B)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    erky32 said:
    DrBob said:
    ...hey, bang on - how did you guess - what a salesman, subtle but effective!!....it all started when I sold him, out of the blue, my Rockman Acoustic Sim' pedal - since then the scales have tipped since I've bought his Mustang3, H&K 18w combo, T20 Ibanez troubadour, JCA22H, HotRod, BB18/30 & the Rivera .....he's hell of an expensive guy to live nearby!!! B)
    Lovely man and clearly a great taste in amps !
    shame he's not around these parts so much anymore !